Ruger MK II, serial number placement

Help Support Ruger Forum:

saberthree

Bearcat
Hey guys, I wanted to ask regarding serial number placement. I am looking to purchase a ruger MK II, I notice that the serial number is only on top of the receiver from pictures. Is there a serial number on the lower receiver? If not, I thought it was required to have serial numbers on the lower unless it was a bolt action rifle? then again, I am relatively new to purchasing older model pistols, so maybe there was a loophole back then that I wasn't aware of. The one I looked at has the stamp 212-XXXX so I from what I understand the model produced from 1986. The big reason I am asking this question is because I want to purchase a new aftermarket upper for for the MKII when I actually do purchase it. I'm concerned that when I do buy the upper, chances are it will not have a SN on it, and it would possibly look kind of suspicious having a pistol with no SN on it whatsoever, especially since its not a 80 percent lower. Anyway, any foresight and background information would be much appreciated.

the "upper" (the receiver) on the Ruger 22 semi autos has the serial number, NORMALLY on the right side ,just in front of the ejection port................the "lower" ( grip frame/internals) is NOT serial numbered.............
even if one sends /receives the "parts" ONLY, not a complete gun, the UPPER is legally treated as a 'firearm" and the serial numbers are "the gun", must be legally transfered if going across state lines, and cannot be mailed,unless the sender /receivers, are 'FFL's (dealers/gunsmiths/manufacturer)
sounds like the "upper" you refer to has had the numbers restamped ( renumbered??) whatever, a picture would help........
never say never as to Ruger 'screwing up' and putting the numbers in the WRONG place, I seriously doubt that happened though......I'm very "wary" of wrong.restamped/moved serial numbers it IS a "federal crime".........unless done with BATF approval, been there, done that.......

saberthree

Bearcat
hmm interesting, I never encountered a pistol where the upper is considered the firearm, thankd for the input

thats because MOST pistols, the upper is actually the slide, the lower, grip assembly, is the receiver...........

then lastly you have the grip frame (receiver), and a fixed? barrel with a "bolt" that pulls back, like the S&W mod 41 as an example......
SOME ,MAINLY MILITARY TYPE GUNS, THERE IS A SERIAL NUMBER ON THE BARREL, THE FRAME AND THE SLIDE, AND THEY ARE '"SUPPOSED" TO ALL MATCH UP !! :roll:

can get a bit confusing................. :wink:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
thats because MOST pistols, the upper is actually the slide, the lower, grip assembly, is the receiver...........

This is the only fact relevant. Remember altering or even duplicating a gun's serial number is a federal felony (instantly recognizeable by any rookie cop) unless you posses a type 07FFL. This is non-negotiable.

Buying a lightweight upper is in actuality buying a second firearm.

over the years I can say far too "cops" have little clue as to just what numbers on many guns are actually the serial numbers and what ones are manufacturing markings,ala "older guns", YES,on many today, this numbering of the serial is pretty obvious, cut and dry,cause there are not a lot of different numbers, and just because the military or the guns used by them "may" have matching numbers on various parts, it is still the "receiver" that is the gun, and in the case of a Ruger replacement, ala "pac lite",the lightweight upper, IS the receiver, the bottom is the grip frame, NO numbers......just another "part".
the GCA 1968 is the result of too many errors by makers in properly identifying their various models, in the case of Rugers for us here, they all had the same starting numbers, so you had them "sharing" the same numbers, SOOOO, if a "cop" says I have a Ruger 22 caliber, serial number 1234, which one is he talking about ???? I know we ran into this quite often over the years,not all officers of the law are "gun savy", for many it is just a 'tool'...... 8)
to those in the "know" they KNOW where the "placement" is , NORMALLY from make to make and model to model, and correct, one does NOT "alter, delete, or restamp" these numbers under penalty of the law. :wink: