Help with range bag recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Not sure if this is the right place on the forum for this.

My daughter's birthday is coming up. She has recently gotten into shooting, and we now go once a week to the range. She fell in love with my Mark I target, and it is now basically hers. Right now she is using my old range bag, just a cheap no frills, and I am using a Woodcraft bag I had lying around. I actually like the Woodcraft bag myself, but that's another story.

Anyway, I am looking for a nice bag for her birthday. I am involving her in the decision, as I want her to be happy with it, rather than surprised. Nothing local has sparked her interest. She has come to the conclusion she wants some storage compartments/pouches, but not too many. She doesn't care much for tactical black, and hates pink.

This is the best one I have been able to find so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Padded-Deluxe...TF8&qid=1403438711&sr=1-10&keywords=range+bag

Decent price, good reviews, seems to fit the bill. Anybody have experience, or other recommendations.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BradB

Bearcat
Hello Clovishound,

Unless you have to have something beautiful that advertises "hey it's got guns inside it" , school backpacks work very well with unlimited colors and very good durability along with a variety of compartments. It's a little more safe in the case of something being left unattended for a moment to have a bag that doesn't look like it has guns in it. Never can be too careful. Good luck with your shopping.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Midway may have some offerings you might want to look at

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=3939

I bought one if their bags but ended up going back to an old heavy duty plastic tool box. It does a better job of protecting the contents and looks like a junky old tool box without advertising its contents to the extent some current bags seem to.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have two of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2208190091/ced-professional-shooting-range-bag-nylon?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I know they cost a bit but they have lasted me a long, long time and I go to the range a lot. I really can't recommend them enough.

jmrehn

Bearcat
http://acecase.com/range-bags/

I have one from here, well made, and made in The United States

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Carry-On-Gear-Bag/1729402.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgear%2Bbag%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=gear+bag&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Great little bag. I have 3 and I use them for pistol matches and they are just the right size and the end pockets can hold ear muffs or 2 (100) round packs of 9mm ammo.

I carry a SR9, 5 mags, holster and mag pouch with a hand towel. Side pockets hold small screwdrivers/allen wrenches ect... ammo on one end and muffs on the other. Shooting glasses and ear plugs in the top mesh zipper pouch. all for $12... Find them for $10 usually in their sale adds.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I like this one I got from Ruger,
http://shopruger.com/Ruger-Range-Bag-with-a-Removable-Strap/productinfo/19054/

thomaskling

Bearcat
When I go to the range my gear travels in an old Samsonite brief case with a three tumbler lock built in. It can carry a lot of weight (guns & ammo etc,) with a very nice handle. No sagging in the middle like you have on soft bags with shoulder straps. The locking feature allows me to go out on the range without fear that someone will steal my other guns or ammo. This may be old school and not as sexy as a soft range bag, but it works for me. I have given some thought into putting a ballistic plate into one of the top lid pockets, but they are expensive. This case was a hand me down from my Dad, but he probably paid $30.00 for it 30 years ago. I have decorated the case lid with decals from Ruger, Talon, and other gun stuff, you cannot do that with a soft bag.

6gun

Hunter
Been trying to find a range bag myself, seems everything on the market is made for semi-auto pistols, haven't been able to find anything made pacifically for a revolver shooter.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D Any of the soft side laptop computer bags work just fine. They are usually well padded with several compartments and lots of pockets. You can purchase them new at any office supply store, but they are readily available at any thrift store for 5 or ten bucks. My nice laptop bag (that I actually carry my lap top in) has a nice pocket for my SR45 and a spare mag. They also make nice bags for the hard plastic tackle boxes when fishing.
:D Cape Cod Terry

Clovishound

Blackhawk
6gun said:
Been trying to find a range bag myself, seems everything on the market is made for semi-auto pistols, haven't been able to find anything made pacifically for a revolver shooter.

These days I usually shoot both revolver and semi. My semi gets carried, the revolver goes in the bag. My daughter has taken over my Mark I and that goes in her bag. Not sure how much difference there would be between a bag made for semis and a bag made for revolvers, other than elastic straps for mags.

One of the things I like about the Woodcraft bag I am using now is that it has a number of pouches that help keep things better organized than the "dump it all together in the bag" situation I had with the old range bag she is now using.

I have passed along the info about several of the top contenders, still no feedback from daughter. I still have plenty of time, her birthday is in August.

If she goes for the one I listed, and I like it after it gets here, I may get one for myself down the road. Just have to get a different color so we don't get confused on whose is whose.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I picked up a tool bag from Minards. Very sturdy has pockets inside to organize ammo and other misc, I usually carry 3 guns in their carry cases inside the beg, several boxes of different cal. ammo, marker I use on targets , a few small tools for trouble that may arise,etc. It can be zipped closed and secured with a small lock if desired. Works for me. $20-24 .

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, I might like a tool bag, but this is a present for my daughter. I don't mind spending a little more to get the "right" bag. I might balk at paying $150 or $200 for one, but $50 to $75 is fine for a good, well made bag that she really likes.

What's worse is I am jonesing to get her a gun for Christmas. Getting her a newer Mark seems silly, as she really likes my (well, now probably her) Mark I. We have rented a few other guns, but nothing has sparked her interest. But, that's for another thread.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Clovishound said:
Well, I might like a tool bag, but this is a present for my daughter. I don't mind spending a little more to get the "right" bag. I might balk at paying $150 or $200 for one, but $50 to $75 is fine for a good, well made bag that she really likes.

What's worse is I am jonesing to get her a gun for Christmas. Getting her a newer Mark seems silly, as she really likes my (well, now probably her) Mark I. We have rented a few other guns, but nothing has sparked her interest. But, that's for another thread.

$50 -75 should get you a nice bag. If you are really uncertain, I would think that they are sold at the range you shoot at. Browse the store with the wife and see if you can get her to comment on one.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The LGS/range we shoot at has a very poor selection of range bags. We have looked at a couple of local sources to see them in person. Nothing looks nearly as good as the bag I posted.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have a couple boarding bags that I use. Very durable, they don't scream gun, any available in a wide variety of designs and colors.

Charlie

doberman

Bearcat
The Midway bags are very, very good. I got the large one to replace my small Ruger bag. I typically take, 3 handguns (9, 380, and 22) and around 600-900 rounds with me when I go to shoot. I doubt she needs that much space and storage. Their small or medium bag would probably work great for her. They are not very feminine looking though. They are designed to carry firearms, ammo and accessories. I've used other types of bags for this and after having used a good range bag....have found that works the best for me. For the same or even double the price, you won't find a better bag. If you do, please let me know!