Help with range bag recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6gun

Hunter
Clovishound said:
6gun said:
Been trying to find a range bag myself, seems everything on the market is made for semi-auto pistols, haven't been able to find anything made pacifically for a revolver shooter.

These days I usually shoot both revolver and semi. My semi gets carried, the revolver goes in the bag. My daughter has taken over my Mark I and that goes in her bag. Not sure how much difference there would be between a bag made for semis and a bag made for revolvers, other than elastic straps for mags.

One of the things I like about the Woodcraft bag I am using now is that it has a number of pouches that help keep things better organized than the "dump it all together in the bag" situation I had with the old range bag she is now using.

I have passed along the info about several of the top contenders, still no feedback from daughter. I still have plenty of time, her birthday is in August.

If she goes for the one I listed, and I like it after it gets here, I may get one for myself down the road. Just have to get a different color so we don't get confused on whose is whose.

I need something with divided holders for revolvers I might take 3 or 4 at a time. slots for loaded speed loaders would be nice.

I though chicks carried everything in their purse, maybe your daughter just needs a bigger purse :D (just kidding)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Just an update. Daughter decided on the Rangemaster bag I linked to. I ended up ordering the wrong color. I hit the back button and it defaulted on another color. When it arrived, we both looked over the bag, and my daughter kind of wanted the green one rather than the tan one I accidentally ordered. Long story short, we now have matching range bags.

I've used it a couple times, and really like it. It is well made, has plenty of pockets and spaces to organize stuff. The thing I like best is there are several compartments that will hold a handgun without the gun rug. Actually, it has spaces for several. My daughter used hers the first time today, and seems to like it almost as much as I like mine.

It's great having a common hobby with your daughter. 8)

dannylightning

Bearcat
i got this great little bag for 15 bucks.. looks like its went up to 18 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/GunMate-Range-Removable-Hook-Dividers/dp/B0047T4J20/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408574609&sr=1-1&keywords=range+mate+bag

its small, but it holds everything i need, i put ammo inside the main compartment on the bottom of the bag, than my holster, tape, glasses, my clip pouch, and all that other stuff goes in there too. the 2 outside pockets are perfect for carrying a hand gun in each pocket, those have 2 zipper and when zipped togeather you can put a pad lock on each of the outside pockets.

if you want something with allot of room this may not be a good option. but if you are just taking the basic stuff you need with you this is perfect

loaded round

Hunter
All the previous suggestions regarding range bags are excellent suggestions, but as usual I have to put my two cents in regarding these bags. I bought my son a Brownell's range bag for his birthday in May and it's the finest made bag I've seen. It's a bit pricey at around 100 bucks plus shipping but well worth it quality wise. Best of all it's made in the USA. Now I want one myself for Christmas.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've been using the bag for a couple of weeks now. Thought I would do a little review of it.

This is the bag all closed up. It's a nice size. Made with heavy canvas material. Has a detachable shoulder strap with heavy metal fasteners. Well balanced when carrying without the shoulder strap (my normal preference). It has two covered pouches on one side that close with Velcro. One is perfect for my shooting glasses, the other has a clear plastic ID holder on the front. There is smallish Velcro closed pouch on each end.
14934453577_f97291cea6_c.jpg

Here it is open. A double zipper with attached single strap opens the main compartment. There is a padded pouch one on each side to hold a total of two weapons in the main compartment. Weapon pouches close with a heavy Velcro strap. They seem nicely secure in these pouches. There are elastic magazine holders along the sides. They are a little snug, but work well enough. There are two open pouches on either end big enough for a box each of centerfire ammo. Bottom has a stiffener in it. Time will tell whether it is durable or not. One of the side pouches zipper opens from the top only. This is perfect for storing a weapon sans gun rug. It seems well padded, and makes for very easy placement and retrieval.
14934458978_8b108217b5_c.jpg

This is one of the outside pouches. As you can see it opens all the way. There are a couple of smallish covered pouches that close with Velcro. You can put a weapon in this large pouch. Some of the inside fabric is that thin slick synthetic fabric that I'm not a big fan of. Having said that, most of this fabric has been quilted, which improves things a lot IMO.
15118029481_0d388e7700_c.jpg

Final shot from the other side. As you can see it has a Velcro square that makes putting a patch on the bag a piece of cake. Now I need to find one of my old military patches. My daughter has already put a K-9 patch on hers. That is a Dr Who K-9, not the military/police dogs.
15120652032_b33d41c96c_c.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with this bag. It was $48 with free shipping, and arrived in about a week. It is well laid out, and very well made. While not an overly large bag, it will comfortably hold 4 weapons, ears, ammo, magazines, and a plethora of smaller gear and necessaries. Just don't bring along too much ammo in it. This may not be the last range bag you will ever buy, but it is a VERY good bag for the money IMO.