Ruger p95 question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rc1988

Bearcat
Hello, I just purchased a brand new P95 and have a couple of question for you folks...When i field strip the gun, i have noticed the ejector refusus to stay down when i remove the slide, so when i go to re-assemble i always have to push the ejector back down. I called Ruger and one of the techs said it is nothing to worry about...

My other question is on the function of the weapon. I noticed when the weapon is on "safe" and when i rack and lock the slide...that when i release the slide stop the hammer will also drop when it fully returns to battery. However, If i do the exact same procedure while gripping the slide and slowly returning it to battery, the hammer will not drop? Is this normal? Thanks!

roylt

Hunter
The blocker lever can be filed so the slide does not hit it and make the ejector pop up in the way. I have fixed several by doing this but I am no gunsmith just a guy that likes the P-series. It is normal and after you strip your pistol a few more times it will be second nature to get it together without any problem.

As for the hammer. I am a DC only guy but do have a safe model in my group. Sounds normal to me. The hammer should drop when the slide is in battery with the safety on. The fact that you are easing the slide home allows the hammer to stay cocked. This is not normal meaning you would never ease the slide forward to have the gun function properly. To load a round (chamber a round) you need to let the slide fly home. I'm sure if you do the hammer will always drop as it should.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Keep those P-guns alive!!

modrifle3

Buckeye
Can you elaborate on filling the blocker lever? I have never heard of this.

Ditto to what Roylt said... normal....

Just make sure the ejector is down before putting the slide back and also make sure the rear part of the barrel is centered perfectly.... It's not easy to do, but there is a way to lock everything up so that nothing moves and the slide will not come back off.... but don't panic, there is a way to fix this.

first is a tool to pull the ejector down through the mag. well. (This is a piece of metal coat hander with a hook bent on the end.) Some time after you have done this you still have to knock the bejeebers out of the gun....

roylt

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Can you elaborate on filling the blocker lever? I have never heard of this.

If you know what the blocker looks like when the slide is off you should understand but without pics it will be hard.

Basically the blocker rotates clockwise (when the barrel is pointed left) and ends up flush with the frame. If the block is not flush the slide can hit it and allow the ejector to pop back up. So what I do is file the blocker so it is flush with the frame so the slide can not engage the blocker at all.

Hopefully that makes since.

modrifle3

Buckeye
rc1988 said:
Hello, I just purchased a brand new P95 and have a couple of question for you folks...When i field strip the gun, i have noticed the ejector refusus to stay down when i remove the slide, so when i go to re-assemble i always have to push the ejector back down. I called Ruger and one of the techs said it is nothing to worry about...

My other question is on the function of the weapon. I noticed when the weapon is on "safe" and when i rack and lock the slide...that when i release the slide stop the hammer will also drop when it fully returns to battery. However, If i do the exact same procedure while gripping the slide and slowly returning it to battery, the hammer will not drop? Is this normal? Thanks!

If the hammer doesn't fall you are stoping the slide before going into battery. Bump the back of the slide and hammer will fall. Just my preference but I don't like to drop the slide with safety on. I lower slide by hand and flip the thumb safety. Just me.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Also just a preference, but I never use the slide release to drop the slide and never drop on an empty chamber. Ruger recommends against both these as well as Springfield and I have two of the ROs