SR 40 shooting low

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wmelcher

Bearcat
I have a new SR 40 and I don't think I have ever had a pistol that felt so good in my hand. That being said, I am having a very hard time raising the point of impact. The instruction manual says to turn the elevation screw counterclockwise to raise the point of impact. I have raised the rear sight as high as it will go and the gun is still shooting about 4" or so low. I have tried raising the front sight dot so that the 2 rear dots are right at the base of the front sight, then placing the front sight right where I want the bullet to hit. This has worked okay but is still very inconsistent. Any suggestions??

animal

Bearcat
Sounds like you might be anticipating the shot and leaning low before you pull the trigger. When out at the range, test this by placing dummy rounds in your mag. If you catch yourself leaning into the shot anticipating recoil your shots will go lower. I helped a friend with this the last time we headed out. He noticed it and corrected it.

Also, purchase a bore sight to also help you correct your sight alignment.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
I shoot low when my sights fall on target and I rush the trigger. I have to make sure it is a trigger press not a trigger pull. I have to remind myself that speed comes with practice, slow down and press, see how slowly it can be done.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Any time you're evaluating the pure mechanical accuracy of a pistol, use a solid bench rest to minimize human error as much as possible, releasing each shot with as little disturbance to the sight picture as possible.

Once the sights are regulated using such a technique, your personal shooting technique can be adjusted to move the point of impact.

wmelcher

Bearcat
Thanks to everybody who has offered advice. I did contact the service folks at Ruger and they asked that I send the pistol in for an evaluation. It's on its way to Arizona. When I get it back, I will be sure to practice some the the good suggestions you all have made!

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
The adjustable rear sight should be able to handle the vertical movement.
If nothing else, if you are shooting 155/160 gr bullets, go to the slower 180 bullets and your point of impact should move up.