Gritty Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dr.Shot

Bearcat
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and this has probably been discussed already but on my SR40, which I love, the trigger is terribly gritty. I probably have about 1500-2000 rounds down the pipe and just recently the trigger has become gritty and I cant figure it out. I have cleaned it and made sure there is no excess oil or other substances in the mechanism. Does anyone have a reason or fix for this problem?

roylt

Hunter
Welcome. I don't have a SR40 but if it seems like something new maybe try to clean again. May have missed something?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
You might want to pay special attention to the striker blocker button on the slide assembly. I found that my SR9c trigger smoothed considerably when I flooded the striker button a couple of times with CLP and cleaned it thoroughly. This was when I had a couple hundred rounds through it. Trigger was a little gritty out of the box. It was smoothing up a little with rounds through it. Huge difference before and after when I flooded the striker button. Don't know if this was specific to my individual weapon, but it couldn't hurt. I would probably use something like Gun Scrubber, followed by CLP, or another good lube. Wouldn't hurt to clean the striker channel afterwards, in case some gunk got into the channel.

Dr.Shot

Bearcat
I clean the gun regularly and the striker channel after every 500 rounds. I may have to pull the trigger assembly out of the gun and clean it more detailed than when it is in the frame.