SR9c and SR40c....is it just me?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
legs to heaven! sexy girls. mine have never let me down, had a headache, do not expect to be cuddled, and never talk back. they do however help me spend quite a bit of money. between the two of them yesterday we went through around 300 of my reloads.

Yes! I saw them at a gun show a month or more ago, and still have the hots for one. I thought time would help me let it go,but lust burns eternal! :oops: There is one in the classifieds I am resisting buying, but wow I break out in a sweat when I see it!
gramps

I bought an sr40c as a carry gun, but have not ever carried it. I find I usually carry a j-frame revolver, but when I need to carry something smaller I take my LCP. The sr40c is accurate enough in my hands for my needs, but I don't enjoy shooting this gun at all. And like any other semi-auto, I don't have the absolute trust in its reliability that I do with a quality revolver. But it is reassuring to carry this relatively small gun with a reasonable capacity of an effective caliber round.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I just shot my SR40 from my porch at a target in the yard. It has to have the nastiest trigger I've ever pulled, lots of travel. It is not a range gun for sure as a matter of fact I dunno exactly what to do with it.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
The post is about the compact pistols (SR9c & SR40c) which has a different trigger than the standard SR models. I have a SR9c that took many dry firings to get the trigger to work out and it is now pretty good. My SR40c had a fantastic trigger from day one and is very accurate. Take a look at this review:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr40/

My suggestions would be first to get some A-Zoom snap caps and try dry firing for 1,000 times.

Second send to a gunsmith http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr40-withgalloway-precision-trigger-job/.

Third, sell the pistol.

Good luck, all options are viable, your choice!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Also, good review about the SR 40c where the trigger is discussed. Look for minute marker 5:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElslmZN9g4&feature=kp

KDF

Bearcat
My SR9c feels good and shoot well. I just ordered a black SR40c today. Plenty of the silver tops, but for carry guns I like the all black gun. I pray I have the same luck with the 40c!! <><

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
KDF said:
My SR9c feels good and shoot well. I just ordered a black SR40c today. Plenty of the silver tops, but for carry guns I like the all black gun. I pray I have the same luck with the 40c!! <><

I really like the black coated stainless slide, it looks good and I like it better for carry as well. Your 40SW should work as well as your 9. That double spring recoil system will really reduce felt recoil. I have a 40 & 9 and my 40 actually came with better trigger and seemed to shoot a little better.

Taterman

Buckeye
MountainWalker said:
The post is about the compact pistols (SR9c & SR40c) which has a different trigger than the standard SR models. I have a SR9c that took many dry firings to get the trigger to work out and it is now pretty good. My SR40c had a fantastic trigger from day one and is very accurate. Take a look at this review:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr40/

My suggestions would be first to get some A-Zoom snap caps and try dry firing for 1,000 times.

Second send to a gunsmith http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr40-withgalloway-precision-trigger-job/.

Third, sell the pistol.

Good luck, all options are viable, your choice!

Would you happen to know if the SR9 has the same trigger as the SR9c?
My SR9 trigger is horrible.

Edit: Sorry to derail, I should have sent a PM

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
[/quote]

Would you happen to know if the SR9 has the same trigger as the SR9c?
My SR9 trigger is horrible.

Edit: Sorry to derail, I should have sent a PM[/quote]
Taterman:
That was the point of the articles and videos that I linked that others have found the SR triggers to be very bad, but the compact model triggers seem to be very good. This was mentioned in "Truth about Guns" and Hickok45 video that I provided a link to. It was also mentioned that some Ruger representatives were saying the trigger was the same but they may just be telephone folks with no direct experience or real knowledge. One of the Truth about article/video referenced a gunsmith company that can fix your trigger. However the expense of shipping and gunsmith services may make it more cost effective to trade your big boy in for one of the compacts and have something suitable for range and concealment.

Shooting a thousand rounds would be expensive and unlikely to fix a really bad trigger. Dry firing with snap cap would be a possible alternative fix and may improve the trigger a bit, but not a lot.

Taterman

Buckeye
Thanks MW. My computer is VERY old and I can't watch videos unfortunately.
Do you think it's possible to polish and lube the contact points in the trigger to smooth it out or have a gunsmith do something like that? I've done that on air rifles but I know the SR trigger is much more intricate.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Don't have any gunsmith advice on the SR pistols. I think these guys can help if you want spend the money. Why not call them up and ask how much it would cost to upgrade the trigger to your preferences. http://gallowayprecision.com/home.php

Taterman

Buckeye
MountainWalker said:
Don't have any gunsmith advice on the SR pistols. I think these guys can help if you want spend the money. Why not call them up and ask how much it would cost to upgrade the trigger to your preferences. http://gallowayprecision.com/home.php

Thanks again. I don't think I'd ship it to them, but ordering the trigger parts upgrade and having a local gunsmith install might be an affordable option. I gotta ask the wife first, she shoots it more than me.

Brian48

Bearcat
I personally think my SR9C is as an ugly of a duckling as you can get, but that's me. I got it because it's a great carry gun, not because she's a great looker.