Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woody2

Bearcat
This looks like it provides an easy disassembly/assembly of the .22/45 for cleaning. Has anyone installed one and If so, how does it really it work?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Looks interesting. IMO it is a solution looking for a problem. I can disassemble and reassemble my Mark I in just a few seconds. OK, I do sometimes have to refresh my memory by looking up the "secret handshake" on the internet, but once you know the proper sequence, it is an easy process.

woody2

Bearcat
My son has a Mk III and he doesn't shoot it because it's such a pain to clean. I'd like to get one if there is a way to easily get it apart to clean. I don't have any first hand experience with it, though, that's why I'm asking about it.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Woody,

I've been shooting the MkIII series for years and have never felt the need to disassemble them to clean them.

We (me and my sons) usually shoot between 500 and 1000 rounds an outing and what I do is use one of the synthetic safe (I use Birchwood Casey) aerosol sprays. I lock the bolt back and thoroughly spray the gunk out of it, let it air dry (takes only a minute to be completely dry), then lightly lube the bolt with CLP and apply a drop or two with a needle applicator to the trigger control parts.

I then use an Otis cleaning cable and drag a patch with Hoppes through the bore a couple of times (breech to muzzle) and I'm done till the next shoot.

Disassembling them is tricky at first but once you've done it a time or two it's no big deal. What trips up most people is reseating the hammer strut with the mainspring cup, along with dealing with the annoying mag safety (empty mag inserted) to reposition the hammer to the rear to reinsert the bolt, then forward again to seat the mainspring housing.

That said, I can't remember the last time I disassembled it for a cleaning, seeing no need to with modern aerosol spray cleaners.

woody2

Bearcat
Interesting, Highspeed. I always field strip and clean after every trip to the range. I'll show him your post. I'm pretty sure he will want to try it. Thanks.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Just installing a bushing will make striping it easier.

I clean mine like, once every 1-2k rounds.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
My son got me a M.A. speed strip kit for Christmas last year. It does help with the stripping and cleaning process. However as others have posted , once you get on to the stripping procedure it isn't a real problem. The biggest advantage I see is the action is now much better. The kit eliminated the magizine disconnect , also reduced the trigger pull weight. I'm not much of a gun smith , so I can't explain why the pull weight was reduced ... but it is a whole lot better than before. I'd install the kit for the better trigger/action and get the easier cleaning as a side note.

regards , brushunter

woody2

Bearcat
I'm not a gunsmith either, brushunter, but I don't see how it can do anything for the trigger. Can't argue with success, though. Guess I'll have to try one since the ease of disassembly is worth something. Thanks for the info.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
woody2 said:
I'm not a gunsmith either, brushunter, but I don't see how it can do anything for the trigger. Can't argue with success, though. Guess I'll have to try one since the ease of disassembly is worth something. Thanks for the info.
It helps the Mk III pistols since it eliminates the magazine disconnect that effects the trigger pull on stock guns. It does nothing for Mk II versions.

BTW, this quick strip kit only allows you to easily remove the bolt which lets you clean the barrel from the breach end and more easily clean the bolt and bolt face. It does not let you clean the receiver or the rest of the action and you have to go through the regular disassembly procedure to do that.