LC9 extraction issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chief7117

Bearcat
I have an lc9 that I have run maybe 300 rounds through. In have been having issues with the spent casing not being extracted before it feeds a new cartridge. It happened on my last two trips to the range. My previous trip it would jam about every third round. I did a thorough cleaning of the firearm after that trip. Last weekend, it cycled 6 magazines before it failed to extract. Could it just be a new gun being broken in or something more involved? I am using factory loaded brass. Is there any bullet weight that performs better in the lc9? Thanks in advance.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
At any point did you switch brands of ammo? Some ammo may be underpowered for your recoil spring and not driving the slide back hard enough to solidly hit the ejector. A weak grip on the pistol can also create the same effect. Cases ejecting very close to the gun might point to these as the culprit.

A rough chamber (do fired cases exhibit scores and scratches?) might impede extraction. Lastly, an ejector that is bent, deformed or has a weak spring could be other sources of extraction issues.

A rule of thumb for checking your extractor is with slide removed from pistol, you should be able to slide a loaded round cartridge rim under it and against the breechface, then rotate the slide around 360 degrees and the extractor should not let go of the cartridge.

chief7117

Bearcat
I have used a variety of ammo, whenever I can find it. winchester white box, federal, and remington. I didn't check the spent casings, good idea and I will do it next trip. The grip doesn't seem to be the issue as it has happened to me and a couple of friends of mine also. I will do the slide trick this weekend to see if it comes loose. I think it may come down to the different ammo, some of which burns pretty dirty. I also shot some PDX defenders through it, and they seemed to cycle fine. Thanks for the info.

On a side note: My wife has the LC380 that has been flawless since we bought it. Perfect size guns for cc.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I would blame the ammo if you have other brands that feed flawlessly. When extraction issues occur with any brand, it's usually gun or shooter related. However, there are ways to tune an individual pistol to work more reliably with poor performing ammo, particularly if it's just a case of it being weak.

Also, keeping a thin film of lubricant on the slide rails will reduce friction between slide and frame and make it slightly easier for underpowered ammo to push the slide back.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Check the casings for any damage and report back. My LC 9 feeds everything from weak lead target rounds to +Ps. Rugers are dead reliable in design. If an issue with function have it checked.