For my wife: Ruger SR22 vs. Sig Mosquito

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dkleiner

Bearcat
Hello, all:

My son and I took my wife to the range this past Saturday. She last shot about 30 years ago, and it was a 22 rifle. The booms from other's guns at the indoor range made her flinch a bit, but she got used to it.

For the most part she fired our son's Ruger 22 MK III Target and felt quite at ease with it. She was startled by my CZ 75BD. She is definitely not ready for a 9mm weapon (let alone the Colt Gold Cup National Match that I picked up this morning!).

I want to keep her interested and hope that she can grow into this hobby. My thought is, let's start with a 22 semi-automatic and after a few months, well see where her interest level is. Maybe she'll want to move up in caliber.

Now, of course, it has to be feminine. So, I came up with the SR22 which is lavender(purple) and the Mosquito which is pink. She is partial to the color of the Mosquito. I would think that they are both quality guns.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Dan

louchia

Single-Sixer
I'd go for the SR22. My wife put one in her hand about 2 mos. ago and loved from then on. She also shoots a G19 but likes to have cheap fun with the SR22. Also it is a strong candidate as a carry. It is light, small and accurate and very easy to handle. Some don't like a 22 for a carry but easy handle and accuracy made up for some negatives. My wife can pick your eyes out one at a time with that little guy.
She does not go for the colors either. Black looks more serious.

DrMoreau

Bearcat
+ 1 for not getting a sig-mosquito. I know 3 people who bought them and had bad luck with each one; FTF and FTE. FTE was the most common problem. The ejection problem can be treated by using CCI mini-mags if you can find them. But I would stay away from any platform needing mini-mags to function properly due to the current shortage of said .22 ammo.

dkleiner

Bearcat
Damn. I expected your responses going in. Of course, it is the cheaper of the two, as well.

Why should pink be more desirable than lavender?

Jeez...

louchia

Single-Sixer
I also have a S&W M&P 22. Very nice fun gun. Shoots any ammo you feed it. Great gun to use as training for higher caliber. Same size and shape as M&P 9mm and similar enough to other guns

dkleiner

Bearcat
Well, she wants a feminine color, and if I'm to get her interested in this activity, I have to oblige.

As such, I ordered the Ruger SR22.

Thanks to all for your input.

dom

Bearcat
Good choice the Sig in 22 seems to be a jam o matic from its reputation. Hear all good things about the SR22. Hope she likes it.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine that bought the Mosquito wishes he never did, it's that finicky with ammo. Constantly jams unless he uses CCI mini-mags. That seems to be the only ammo it will reliably feed.

dingode

Single-Sixer
SR22 all day long. Traded my Mosquito for a SR22 and couldn't be happier. Sig should be ashamed that their name is on the Mosquito.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
For 22 pistols, I think reliability makes the situation so much more enjoyable. You're probably going to run a lot of crappy ammo through it, so why not go with a gun that thrives in that environment?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
(Shrugs) Daughter's Mosqito has been 100% . Did break it in with MiniMag. But the complaints are so widespread , have to be taken into consideration. FWIW , the "Pink" is borderline lavender.

I see the OP has made his selection. My general advise is to select the desired gun on shooting/ ergonomic grounds, and then either replace grips/ refinish for desired esthetic effect.

AZshooter

Bearcat
Several folks at the next bench over from me were all shooting Mosquitos. Every one had a specific preference for ammo just to get it thru an entire mag of ammo.

One would only function with some pricey Eley Match ammo' another with the CCI's, and I don't recall what the 3rd one preferred, but none of them liked my bulk-packed Remington HP's, or the Remington standard velocities.

As for the SR .22, a buddy at work got one a year ago, and had to send it to Prescott to get the slide/frame refitted. It was shaving metal, and looked like a major rework problem. When he got it back, it had better fit, cycled smoother and was great fun to shoot.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I think all these new style scaled down auto .22 s tend to be quirky.

Nothing beats a Ruger MK series or 22/45 in reliability. Who ever would have thought the Nambu design would proof so timeless.

22/45 Fan said:
The Sig Mosquito has a dreadful reputation for reliability and other problems. The SR22 is a by far the more reliable gun.

My wife's Mosquito is awful when it comes to ammo compatibility. Even with the recommended MiniMags, it still has issues. Get the SR22.