New Galloway Trigger Kit for LC9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yeah I bought mine used for about $200 to $250 as it was a trade for "stuff" I no longer wanted and had no cost in. I would have passed at $600.

thomaskling

Bearcat
Man I hope you got all your money back on the $600. LC-9 plus the outrageous money you had to spend on the magazines. I don't know where CZ is (maybe in Europe ?) but remind me not to go there for gun purchases. I paid $380. for mine new in the box, plus $25. for one extra magazine. You have decided to go with a used Glock 27, which has a good reputation for reliability. I have not shot one, but I am seeing trigger modification done on Glocks in the magazine "Handguns" June/July 2014. So it appears the LC-9 is not the only gun that need improvement in the "Triggernometry". I do not like Glocks for several reasons. They do not fit well in my hand. The box slide with the take down switches are ugly. The trigger safety looks un-natural on a gun and they weigh a lot more than my one pound LC-9. So hey can you send me some Czech koloches, I use to get them in West (TX), but not so much now since the explosion.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yes "CZ" is Central Europe and import duties can be 50% of the retail cost if not more.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
thomaskling said:
Man I hope you got all your money back on the $600.
No way. Got about the $350 amount you guys are used to pay for a new one. Actualy, I didn't get any money from that guy, I PAID him some extra cash, as he gave me a like-new Glock 19 with some accessories for trade. That G19 went to my fiancée and she loves it.
I don't want to hijack this thread towards Glocks. I don't consider myself a glockoholic as some may think. I used to hate them a lot, didn't ever think of getting one. Then I realized that guns aren't girls, so who cares how they look. They need to shoot. Which my Gs do and my LC9 didn't. Other than that, I liked it :?

So hey can you send me some Czech koloches, I use to get them in West (TX), but not so much now since the explosion.
?? I don't get it.

thomaskling

Bearcat
Well the guy says he is from CZ and later he states that he lives in Central Europe. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he lives in the Czech Republic (the former Czechoslovakia). Here in Texas the town of West has a long history of immigrants who came over from Czechoslovakia and brought with them a delicious filled pastry known as Koloches. I use to love stopping at the "Czech Stop" store in West to buy these treats.

gusco21

Bearcat
Check my review on it... The kit seems to have the right idea, but GP's customer service is hideous.

thomaskling

Bearcat
I would love to read your review gusco21. Where would I find it ? I don't see a link with your comment.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
thomaskling said:
Well the guy says he is from CZ and later he states that he lives in Central Europe. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he lives in the Czech Republic (the former Czechoslovakia). Here in Texas the town of West has a long history of immigrants who came over from Czechoslovakia and brought with them a delicious filled pastry known as Koloches. I use to love stopping at the "Czech Stop" store in West to buy these treats.

Yeah, didn't take me too long to understand that "koloches" is a distorted version of our word "kolace" (koláče, which is plural, a single piece is kolac) and a quick google search has shown me that they are popular in that area, which I had no idea. What I didn't get was the explosion you mentioned. Is that still about that Boston Marathon bombing? Those were Chechens, not Czechs who did it, though people still seem to mistake one for the other.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Knecht said:
thomaskling said:

Yeah, didn't take me too long to understand that "koloches" is a distorted version of our word "kolace" (koláče, which is plural, a single piece is kolac) and a quick google search has shown me that they are popular in that area, which I had no idea. What I didn't get was the explosion you mentioned. Is that still about that Boston Marathon bombing? Those were Chechens, not Czechs who did it, though people still seem to mistake one for the other.

Yeah just a slight difference . . . my family is all German, Austrian and Swiss, my wife's is German, Slovakian and Polish. Her family came her in the teens and 20's.

modrifle3

Buckeye
gusco21 said:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206416

I enjoy modifying my weapons to make them easier or just plain cooler, but I have yet hear a large number of solid, good opinions of their products except the stainless guiderod. Most people have failures after a while. Even the recoil spring has issues. This is why GP will only sell the kit as a whole now. The design of this pistol uses the frame as a trigger stop and kits that don't allow this to occur put stress on the trigger bar. I have shot mine alot to get use to it and now feel good about its accuracy for a gun with a sub 3" barrel.

One thing that helped me, was a sight modification. I blackened the rear sight so it doesn't distract from the white dot on the front sight. Also my dots don't line up for true poa poi. I have to use a deep 6 oclock hold to be on bullseye at 10 yards. I still may swap out for fire sights or night sights.

I did discover this gun is most accurate with lighter bullets. I haven't tested 124 yet, but 147 were all over the place and I think this is due to not enough barrel to stabilize and burn all the power.

gusco21

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips ;) I wish I would have joined this forum BEFORE wasting $100 on what wound up being just springs. I took out the RTK trigger and trigger bar and left the springs installed. I have yet to test fire it, but it seems to be cycling fine.

modrifle3

Buckeye
groberts said:
Haven't checked but don't the 147s havemore muzzle energy than the 124s? And, thererfore, higher recoil in that light gun?

Not sure....they didnt seem that bad which also makes me believe they are not really getting up to speed before leaving the barrel. I think at least a 4" barrel is needed but haven't really researched it.

thomaskling

Bearcat
A little over a year ago the town of West, Texas was partially destroyed when a storage facility containing ammonium nitrate blew up. Twelve first responders were killed. The event happened on the East side of town and took out schools, rest home, and dozens of homes.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
thomaskling said:
A little over a year ago the town of West, Texas was partially destroyed when a storage facility containing ammonium nitrate blew up. Twelve first responders were killed. The event happened on the East side of town and took out schools, rest home, and dozens of homes.

That was a terrible thing that happened. I remember hearing about it. But I'm not sure what it has to do with Galloway Trigger kits for the LC9????

thomaskling

Bearcat
Question for gusco21. Why did you remove the RTK trigger and the Galloway trigger bar and just leave the reduced power springs ? Was there a problem ?

gusco21

Bearcat
I did. I have not been able to head to the range yet, but I do have all the original springs just in case. It does cycle fine, however.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
Didn't Col. Cooper explain all of this to us years ago? - DixieBoy

I wonder what he would think of things as they stand now?

I will give my general opinion on drop in and also not so drop in modifications to today's varying array of pistols.

I shoot a lot and have been doing so for many years, so I now have acquired a fair amount of guns in my life and I enjoy them. I have almost always divided my guns into broad categories; home defense, personal defense, fun guns and various levels of range guns.
I don't modify my personal defense/carry guns as far as actions are concerned, I may change out sights or grips but I don't want to change the original intent or design of the gun. There are a lot of reasons for this and remember these are my opinions and observations.
My main carry gun is a Kahr CM9, I have found this gun to be the best that I have tried for almost only personal reasons. I owned a couple other guns that I thought may be, could be, might be the one but they weren't. I might even change my mind on the Kahr at some point but it has been 100% reliable so far.
I know many own just a few guns, this will change with some and they will acquire more and more as time goes on and they may end up feeling as I do or maybe not.

I have highly modified and not so highly modified range guns and I love shooting them, they are accurate beyond belief and are just a joy to pull out of my range bag or holster and let it rip. Many of my modifications I did myself and I'm comfortable with them because these are range guns. I wouldn't feel all that weird even using some of them as a home or property defense weapons either but I have plenty of those.
I will not modify a carry gun's firing group be it, trigger, springs, hammer, striker assembly or any other component that makes it go boom. I know that some will assume it is because there have been stories of gun owners getting railed for using a modified gun in an otherwise legit shoot, these stories have some legs but the more they are repeated, the more hollow they sound but they are a point to consider. My main reason is safety and reliability, well I guess that's two reasons but they go hand in hand.

I want all that bothered to read my ramblings to now go get your favorite little bitty carry boomer, make sure it is unloaded and cock it and pull the trigger. Now cock it again but push the slide just slightly out of battery and pull the trigger, did it "fire"? If it didn't great, your gun works right. Now go buy every thing that is available on line and stick those super awesome parts in your favorite CCW pistol. after you've spent the couple of hundred dollars or so, I want you to do the same test and I will almost guarantee that half those pistols will fire out of battery.

Why? ...because most guys, just like me will end up with a small carry gun like an LC9 or such and those guns don't take to modifications as well as a larger pistol will, although you can make a big pistol into a hammer with the proper amount of money and modifications. Little guns don't move much, their recoil is stunted, the ejections have a small window, they're harder to hold so little things cause issues but the biggest issue with most is if you play with the pivots and springs and camming actions they stop working as intended and start to become dangerous to you or somebody else or they become unreliable and I don't want that and I bet the old Colonel wouldn't like that idea all that much either.

thomaskling

Bearcat
Well there is a lot of wisdom in these posts about Galloway. I only wish I could have seen it before spending $110. on their trigger kit. I was pleased with the kit at first, but after about 300 rounds I started getting intermittent FTF problems. I have changed the gun back to the original Ruger parts. The only exception to this is the stainless steel guide rod. I have learned my lesson.