SR22 at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
I have had this SR22 for several months and just got around to taking it to the range today to play while Lefty shot her 640. The first 50 or so rounds went through it flawlessly, a mix of Remington thunderbolt 40 grain and Winchester 36 grain copper plated. All of a sudden it started to not to chamber the next round from the magazine and as time went on it also started to fail to eject the spent rounds. Has anyone had a similar problem such as this.

Jeffro57

Bearcat
Yes, unfortunately. I think I'd try different ammo, and then a different magazine. You might also want to take a look at the feed ramp and make sure it looks clean and smooth. If it still malfunctions, it probably needs to go back.(mine did) they had a quick turn-around, and sent a letter with the gun: Items Replaced: Magazine Disconnect, Takedown Lever, Takedown Lever Detent Plunger, Takedown Lever Detent Retainer Pin, and Takedown Lever Detent Spring!
It works great now!

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Jeffro57 said:
Yes, unfortunately. I think I'd try different ammo, and then a different magazine. You might also want to take a look at the feed ramp and make sure it looks clean and smooth. If it still malfunctions, it probably needs to go back.(mine did) they had a quick turn-around, and sent a letter with the gun: Items Replaced: Magazine Disconnect, Takedown Lever, Takedown Lever Detent Plunger, Takedown Lever Detent Retainer Pin, and Takedown Lever Detent Spring!
It works great now!

Thanks Jeff...If you would be so kind as to tell me how, who and what you did to return you auto to Ruger. This little 22 has some issues and I'd like to keep it !!

JP

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Jeffro57 said:
Thanks Jeff...If you would be so kind as to tell me how, who and what you did to return you auto to Ruger. This little 22 has some issues and I'd like to keep it !!

Call Ruger's Prescott number and explain your issues. They'll tell you what to do. Ruger's customer service is AAAAATOPS ... no if, and, or buts about it!

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I wonder if your extractor went bad on you during the shoot. That would account for both chambering problems (not snapping over the rim correctly) and consequent extraction problems from the chamber.

Prior to returning it I would thoroughly inspect and clean the bolt and chamber, paying particular attention to the extractor and ensure it moves correctly and isn't chipped, deformed or over tight.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I had similar experience. First , use different ammo. Most anything but Thunderbolt will be an improvement. Also give the gun a good cleaning. Pay special attention to the feed ramp and chamber.
Using Thunderbolt, after 100 or so rnds., the barrel and chamber are VERY dirty with lead build up, so much so that it does affect feed and extraction.
I did the above and have not had a problem since.