What vintage is my P95DC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johndm1967

Bearcat
I'm trying to check selling prices for P95DC, but all of them I find look like they

have a safety on the left side Decocker. On my P95, the decocker is the same

on left and right sides.

Anyone know about what year Ruger changed the left side decocker?

I bought this P95 many years ago for around $200, thinking of selling it

for same price.

Mike J

Hunter
If I remember right I want to say it was in 2007 or 2008 that Ruger quit making the Decock Only versions of the P-series pistols. If you go to Rugers website you can look up your serial number & see when the pistol was made.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The decocker versions of all of the P-series (DC) worked using either lever to decock the hammer but had no safety, i.e. both levers returned to the upright, horizontal position when you let them go. The safety version had a safety lever on each side that decocked the hammer but remained in the lower position as a manual safety and had to be pushed back up to let the gun fire. AFAIK, there was never a "hybrid" version that decocked-only on one side and acted as a manual safety on the other.

roylt

Hunter
It is worth more than 200!! Post it here and it will sell for sure.

I hate to agree (because I'd buy the OP's pistol today for $200) but it is worth more like $300 if in reasonably good condition.

The question is does the pistol have a 'slick' grip or one that is textured? If it is textured it is then one of the last ones with the rail added under the barrel.

johndm1967

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip Mike J. Looks like my P95D was made in 1999.
Interestingly, my P97D was also made in 1999, first year of production
for that pistol. If the serial numbers were issued sequentially, I got the
500th P97D to roll off the line.
The 95 is in reasonably good shape, still shoots good but no idea of round
count. Got the 'slick' grips.
Thanks for sharing everyone. Ruger is my favorite by far, always nice to
learn a bit more about a great American company.

MGMorden

Bearcat
When I bought my P95 circa 2002 I had the option to get any of the versions available. I had no idea what the difference was so I bought the "Manual Safety" version. Now knowing better I really, REALLY wish I'd gotten the Decocker. Of course, I suppose I should be thankful that I didn't buy the DAO version. I'd have probably gotten rid of that gun by now :).

I agree with the others though. Unless its been seriously mistreated, I'd say $275-300 is a more realistic value. The DC models command a minor premium.

Actually, I need to refine my opinion on the pricing of a P95dc... I think $300 would be a great deal.

What ever gun manufacturer that came up with the idea that a Double/single action pistol needed a safety should be ashamed. In fact they should all be ashamed now.

Mike J

Hunter
blume357 said:
Actually, I need to refine my opinion on the pricing of a P95dc... I think $300 would be a great deal.

What ever gun manufacturer that came up with the idea that a Double/single action pistol needed a safety should be ashamed. In fact they should all be ashamed now.

When I first saw this thread & the asking price I was thinking if my wife & sister hadn't already planned an upcoming vacation for me I would be offering to help the OP out. $200 for a P95 is a great deal. $300 is not unreasonable. Gotta keep Mama happy though.

johndm1967

Bearcat
Thanks for the useful information everyone.
I had thoughts of selling my P95 because my ammo budget has been used to feed my P97 (first pistol I ever owned)
and a new Ruger 1911. But I picked up a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret press this weekend and should be able to feed all
the hungry mouths in the pistol arsenal now.

Latest posts