SR9 Front sights off center

Help Support Ruger Forum:

osirhc

Bearcat
Hey guys,
I picked up a Ruger SR9 at a gun show about two months ago. I frequent the range with it a lot, absolutely love the SR9! My only issue with it is at about 25 feet all of my shots are hitting left. I looked at my sights and noticed the front sight appears to be off center to the left as well.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure if I should just adjust the rear sights to compensate, if I should try fixing the front sights myself, or take it to a gunsmith/my local gun shop. Hopefully they wouldn't charge much for something that seems like a 10 second fix (or do it for free since I'm there all the time!).

20140511_154533.jpg

jnichols2

Bearcat
You didn't say how far left it's hitting. But here's my take.

First try shooting it from a rest to make sure if it's you or the gun. These small 9mm guns need a firm grip. Also, don't anticipate the recoil. Also, most folks need to get used to the long trigger pull. It will help to let someone shoot it who is good with small 9mm guns.

Ruger had issues with some early LC9s that had the front sight drifting. They put a pin through the top of the sight to keep it from moving. I can't tell for sure in your picture. If you have a pin, you will only be able to adjust the rear sight.

If the problem is you, do a lot of dry firing. Get to where the front sight doesn't move off the target as you pull the trigger. Shoot it a lot, you will get better.

If the problem is the gun:
If the front sight is not drifting, and has no pin, just use a brass punch to tap it in the right direction.
If you are hitting left, move the front sight left.
The rear sight goes opposite. If you are hitting left, move the rear sight right.
If the front sight is drifting, Ruger will fix it.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Front sights have to be moved in the same direction you are missing to, or opposite the way you would adjust a rear sight. If you are missing left, you have to move left.

As posted previously, all mechanical accuracy tests must be performed from a solid rest to minimize or eliminate human error before doing any sight adjustments.

Also check your rear sight as well. If your sights are truly misaligned you may be able to even them out by moving the rear very slightly right.

DenverGT

Bearcat
he said he's got an sr9, not an lc9.... Haven't heard any issues of sight drift on the sr9. And the newer SR9s have the same very nice trigger as the sr9c.

osirhc, you mention your shots are hitting left. If the front sight appears to be left of center, then correcting it will only make your shots hit further left.

It is very common to have bad technique cause shots to miss consistantly in a certain direction. Sometimes slapping the trigger pulls the gun to the side (which will cause a righty to shoot to the left). Other times people anticipate the recoil, and push the barrel down as they pull the trigger, resulting in low shots.

I would bet the sights are accurate, and it's all about the trigger pull. As suggested above, shoot it from a bench rest. that helps eliminate a lot of technique issues. Ask someone at the range to help you shoot it from a rest if you don't know how. Possibly ask someone who works at the range (or a trusted shooter friend) try to shoot the gun to see if they also miss the same direction.

osirhc

Bearcat
thanks for the great info guys. I'll be visiting the range sometime this week hopefully so I can try out these suggestions, and see if I can't get my buddy to come out with me too.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
osirhc said:
......I looked at my sights and noticed the front sight appears to be off center to the left as well.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a SR9 and a SR9c - one of them, I do not remember which one right now, had the front sight off-center and was not shooting where the sights were pointing. Since the rear was pretty much centered and the front was off to the side, I started off the adjustment procedure by centering the front sight. I used a sight pusher, but a lot of folks have success with a hammer and punch.

Once I centered up the front sight, every thing was good - no other sight adjustment needed.

osirhc

Bearcat
jnichols2 said:
If the problem is you, do a lot of dry firing. Get to where the front sight doesn't move off the target as you pull the trigger. Shoot it a lot, you will get better.

I have been doing this and I admit, this may have been the issue when I first bought this firearm. However I have improved greatly since then and my shots still seem to land to the left.

I visited my local shop/range last week and was able to get a few answers from the guys there. I asked the range officer's opinion first and he agreed with me that visually, the sight looks off center. Judging by how accurate I was shooting that day, he also agreed that I seem to be hitting off to the left. He fired my SR9 three times with similar results (shots landing to the left), and again agreed that the sights seem to be off center. He did mention that he was not the best person to ask about the sights (I think mostly because he was not familiar with the SR9), but he still gave me his honest opinion.

NewportNewsMike said:
osirhc said:
......I looked at my sights and noticed the front sight appears to be off center to the left as well.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I have a SR9 and a SR9c - one of them, I do not remember which one right now, had the front sight off-center and was not shooting where the sights were pointing. Since the rear was pretty much centered and the front was off to the side, I started off the adjustment procedure by centering the front sight. I used a sight pusher, but a lot of folks have success with a hammer and punch.

Once I centered up the front sight, every thing was good - no other sight adjustment needed.

I was told by the guys in the shop that they will adjust my sights for me for free, which is awesome news. I didn't do it that day, but the next time I go in I'm going to get them centered and then test them out at the range. I would do it myself but I don't want to break anything, knowing me, so I think I'll let the professionals do it for me. I'll repost back here with the final conclusion.