KP94DC frame help, fixed!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So my P94 mag was stuck. I pulled the grips off and got the mag out to find the frame is tight at the mag well. Any ideas how to push it back apart?

Looks like it was run over by a car and squeezed about .010 or so. May have even twisted slightly but it is hard to tell. Any pointers on how to check would be welcomed too.

Thanks,

427mach1

Blackhawk
I don't know if I would attempt this repair at home or not. Cast aluminum is not the most "workable" metal and you could end up doing more damage. I would contact Ruger for their input. Did you buy it used? From an individual or gun shop? Is this the first time you have fired it?

roylt

Hunter
I bought it used. No return avail. I have not fired it yet.

I enjoy tinkering with the P-series. I feel good about it but was looking for input. I think it will run nice once I get the mag to drop free again. From what I did last night you can pull the mag out by hand but I want it totally free and functioning properly.

roylt

Hunter
I asked around at work today and got some ideas. I used a very large punch to force the gap wider. I had limited time as a single dad the kids come first so it will have to sit until tomorrow night or when ever I can get back to tune it a bit more.

Should be running great by next week and hope the rain stops long enough to go try it out at the range.

roylt

Hunter
So my Dad saved the day again. I inherited my Dad's work shop and tools when he passed. He had a big chisel that was perfect. At its thickest point it was about .870 and I needed to open the mag well up to around .830 or so. I steadied the chisel by holding through the frame and pounded the chisel into the mag well with a hammer. Removed it and checked fit. Not right yet. Repositioned the chisel and did it again. Perfect!

Popped the upper back on and away we go. Pistol is back to 100%. Well functioning now anyway. I still need to clean it real good and buff it out a bit. Then to the range!!

427mach1

Blackhawk
roylt said:
So my Dad saved the day again. I inherited my Dad's work shop and tools when he passed. He had a big chisel that was perfect. At its thickest point it was about .870 and I needed to open the mag well up to around .830 or so. I steadied the chisel by holding through the frame and pounded the chisel into the mag well with a hammer. Removed it and checked fit. Not right yet. Repositioned the chisel and did it again. Perfect!

Popped the upper back on and away we go. Pistol is back to 100%. Well functioning now anyway. I still need to clean it real good and buff it out a bit. Then to the range!!

I love it - hammer and chisel pistol repair! Guess I need to add that to my gunsmithing toolbox! Glad it worked and hope you enjoy it for many years!

roylt

Hunter
f3i78z.jpg

Here is a picture.

All my tools are "gun-smithing" tools if need be. ;)

flyfishny

Bearcat
Nice work. Thanks for the picture, that explains the procedure more clearly. Hope it works out well for you!

roylt

Hunter
Maybe I should change my name to P-smith.

I was talking to my boss today and he said this is common in the armed services. He said pistols get ran over by tanks etc all the time. He was deployed several times in his 30 year hitch.

roylt

Hunter
With rain and raising the kids I hadn't been to the range until last Thursday. The old 94 ran great. Put 45 rounds thru with no problems at all. Seemed to hit the target a bit low and right but I'm sure that is me. Not a very good shot. Also got a chance to run a "new to me" Glock 22C. It ran great too but needs a grip sleeve to be more comfy.

Well that is the update on keeping another P-gun alive. Ruger moved on from them but I have not.

Take care all you P-nuts!!

Latest posts