SR9 Striker Cover - no opening to depress striker plunger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CharlieK926

Bearcat
Just curious to see if anyone else has encountered this situation.

My SR9 does not have an opening that can be used to depress the striker plunger and all attempts to remove the striker cover have failed.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
Haven't heard of a rash of these happening, might be an indication of a batch of bad parts. Sounds like it's time to call Ruger. They will not only make it right, they will most likely be glad to hear about this.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Are you looking in the right place? The cover release hole is small (~1/16") and located to the right and below at about 4:00 o'clock from the hole the tail end of the striker itself goes through. If it's not there, a call to Ruger is definitely in order.

CharlieK926

Bearcat
Yes, definitely looking at the right place and now waiting to hear back from Ruger's Customer Support.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Picture please, Ruger will just send you a new one, and if you want extra Numrich has them very cheap. I would also pick up the striker spring cap while you are at it.

shoot straight and shoot often
GF

Trucker

Single-Sixer
CharlieK926 said:
My SR9 does not have an opening that can be used to depress the striker plunger and all attempts to remove the striker cover have failed.

Dunno if your misnomer is indicative or not. But just in case ...

The SR9 doesn't have a "stricker plunger".

Instruction Manual, P 37
19 Striker Cover Spring VS05320 All SR9's, SR40's & KSR45
20 Striker Cover Plunger VS05310 All SR9's, SR40's & KSR45
21 Striker Cover VS02300 All SR9's, SR40's & KSR45

Diagram is on Pg 39

There's supposed to be two holes in #21 Striker Cover. A larger one in the center and a smaller one far right side at about four o'clock. The small hole is the access to the #20 Striker Cover Plunder.

A straightened paper clip works just fine.

As I said, I don't know if the fact you misnamed the part means anything or not ... we all do that sort of thing from time to time. But just in case you were looking for something that isn't supposed to be there I provided this information. If it was just a typo on your part, don't go off on me ... I'm sincerely trying to be helpful.

If your Striker cover has only one hole ... 'scusssssssssssssssssssssssme. :)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
guidedfishing said:
Picture please, Ruger will just send you a new one, and if you want extra Numrich has them very cheap. I would also pick up the striker spring cap while you are at it.

shoot straight and shoot often
GF

The only issue with this is that if the old one does not have the opening to remove it, how are you supposed to get the old one off to replace it with a new one? Yes, you could drill in the right place, but with a new gun, I would rather let Ruger do that.

I would like to see a picture, just out of curiosity.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Clovishound said:
The only issue with this is that if the old one does not have the opening to remove it, how are you supposed to get the old one off to replace it with a new one? Yes, you could drill in the right place, but with a new gun, I would rather let Ruger do that.
I expect if there is no hole for the cover plunger, there is nothing actually preventing removal of the old cover except for the striker itself. Dry fire the gun, remove the slide and pull the cover off downward by hand. You probably have to depress the firing pin block plunger to allow the striker to go far enough forward.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
On or off the picture is easy.

And if it made it on the pistol, there is nothing magic about it coming off. lol

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
I'm a little disappointed with some of the responses here. You must press in on the striker cover plunger in order to remove the cover. Simply pressing on the striker itself doesn't do this, you need access to the cover plunger. And, of course you can put a cover back on because you have access to the cover plunger when the cover is off.

I apologize if I'm coming across as condescending, but think that we should try out recommendations before posting them.

CharlieK926

Bearcat
For everyone who has asked for a picture...

I'm new to this forum and I am not familiar with the process for "inserting" a png or JPEG image. Point me in the right direction and I will be able to provide the picture.

Thanks,
Charlie K

22/45 Fan

Hunter
PiratePast40 said:
I'm a little disappointed with some of the responses here. You must press in on the striker cover plunger in order to remove the cover. Simply pressing on the striker itself doesn't do this, you need access to the cover plunger.
You seem to miss the real problem. The OP's pistol has NO access to the plunger because the hole for it isn't there. No one is recommending just pressing on the striker.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
CharlieK926 said:
For everyone who has asked for a picture...

I'm new to this forum and I am not familiar with the process for "inserting" a png or JPEG image. Point me in the right direction and I will be able to provide the picture.

Thanks,
Charlie K

You first have to upload your picture to a website that hosts photographs. I use Google albums. I see many use Photobucket.

The picture needs to be resized either in your camera or photo editing software like photoshop so it is not too large or it will be unwieldy for people to view and take up too much bandwidth.

I resize mine to 72 dpi (standard size for web display) and around 750 to 950 pixels (longest side).

Then view your uploaded pic in a web browser so that you are able to copy its url and paste the url inbetween image tags in your post. If I'm looking at my pic in Google albums, I just right click it and select "copy image URL" (in Chrome).

The image tags are just BB code that tells the software of the sight that you want to display the image in line (meaning not as an attachment or thumbnail).

Example: in my un-submitted post, the tags and image URL would look like this:

image_posting.jpg

You can see there is an IMG tag enclosed in brackets [ ] both at the beginning and end of the URL. The resultant display is whatever image my URL pointed to, in this case an SR1911 CMD:

3.jpg

It's all way easier than it sounds, and the hardest part is finding a site to host your pics. What I like about Google is the bandwidth restrictions (the number of times your image can be downloaded by people viewing the post) doesn't seem as bad as other hosting sites.

CharlieK926

Bearcat
Just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Support...

There has been a slight change to the SR9 and one of the changes is eliminating the Striker Cover Plunger; hence, the hole is no longer needed.

CK

Trucker

Single-Sixer
CharlieK926 said:

There has been a slight change to the SR9 and one of the changes is eliminating the Striker Cover Plunger; hence, the hole is no longer needed.

Did you read the owner's manual before calling or posting?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Trucker said:
CharlieK926 said:

I just looked at the most current SR9 manual on Ruger's web site. It still shows the striker cover plunger hole.

LonnieJ

Bearcat
I also just purchased a new 2014 SR9c and was wondering the same thing! After calling Ruger Tech Support, they have redesigned the striker cover and don't recommend you remove the striker cover and also won't tell you how to remove it:( So I have been digging deeper and have discovered with the help of Galloway Precision that you simply have to depress the striker and magazine disconnect buttons and slide the firing pin all the way forward just like in the videos. Then you simply compress the spring on the firing pin(which releases pressure which holds the striker cover in place) and then slide the striker cover out. Just completed this on mine and it works like a charm! Hope this helps others who want to remove their firing pin:)

Lonnie

Trucker

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
Trucker said:
CharlieK926 said:

I just looked at the most current SR9 manual on Ruger's web site. It still shows the striker cover plunger hole.

Interesting.. I think Lonnie's post solved the "mystery". :)