Help - Wife can't "rack" / cock LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
Due to cancer years ago my wife is weak in one side. Her finger grip is not to strong.
I installed a stainless steel guide rod because the stock one was chewed up and was catching.
Still she can not cock/rack the gun. Any suggestions?

I know, I should have gotten a LCR instead.

The hammer spring seems really strong. Are there options on changing that?
Thanks,
Doug
:)

twobit

Bearcat
My wife carried a PPK (.380) for several years. Then arthritis made the slide too stiff for her. We got her an LCR. She loves the LCR. I also like it better than the PPK as it is lighter and a better caliber. I also like the LCR better than a J frame as far as felt recoil and better trigger. I do think the J frames look better.

eveled

Hawkeye
Google "racking slide with weak hands." Check out the videos, it is all in the technique. The other option is to use the edge of a table or counter. Ed.

Kudzu

Bearcat
My wife has small, weak hands. She tried numerous pistols, and can only rack the slide on the Sig 238. When We were looking for a gun suitable for her several years ago, she settled on the SP101 DAO with CT grips. She loves it and shoots it well.

Has your wife actually shot the LCP? I respectfully ask, because racking the slide may not be the only problem as the LCP is quite snappy, especially for the novice shooter.

You may have answered your own question: Perhaps she would be better served with a revolver...no manual of arms to be concerned with. I'd recommend getting her to a range with rentals and let her try a variety of weapons and calibers.

robkarrob

Bearcat
The easiest way for a weaker person, is not the normal grip the gun and pull the slide back. What works best is to hold the slide stationary, and push the grip (lower) forward. They can get a good hand grip on the slide, and with the large area of the grip to push on, should be able to push the grip forward to reach the end of travel (gun racked). Then grip per normal and release the slide.

Bob

eveled

Hawkeye
Or look into the Beretta's with the tip up barrels. I have the 21a which is only a .22lr, but they make on in .380 I forget the model. you flip the barrel up to load the first shell, then the first shot is double action. So unless you have a failure you never have to rack the slide. It also have double strike which might help in a misfire. Ed

groberts

Single-Sixer
My wife had problems with the Bersa Thunder 380 so she would switch hands to rack it then switch back. She doesn't have that issue with the Ruger LC380.

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
wow! Thanks for all the great answers.

No, We haven't made it to the range for her to actually shoot the LCP. I have snap caps for her to
"practice".

Have a reduced hammer spring coming, will try that. I do think the stainless steel guide rod helped. But then again, I don't have the problem of racking the LCP.

Thanks again, great forum.
Long live RUGERS!!!

I have three now

Doug

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have to concur with the other post regarding her not liking or being able to control the recoil.

I regularly shoot 44mag and 480 Rugers and still feel that the recoil of my diminutive LCP to be unpleasant. There is so little to grip on the gun and coupled with the light weight makes the recoil very sharp and snappy.

+1 on the LCR.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Boy, did I read the title, on this post, wrong. :oops:
Hope all is well for your wife and you.
Beretta had a model 86 with the tip up barrel, single stack 8 round mag, but they're no longer made. I spotted one here in AZ, two weeks ago, for $500.
Get the LCR. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There's some pretty good tips on this site for women who have trouble with slides, shooting, etc. My wife also has the same issues, but overcame them with the help here: http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/

Specifically this article: http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/women-and-guns/shooting-techniques-and-handling/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
Wow! The response has been fantastic. Thanks.

The reduced power hammer spring came and it is now on the hammer ready to reassemble my LCP.

Well let you know if it helped and was worth it.

doug

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
Hi, all
Guess what? I put in the reduced hammer spring and it works!!!
She can now load a round into the chamber. Really smooth too.

Thanks for all the help and input
doug

pyth0n

Buckeye
MSGTDOUG said:
Hi, all
Guess what? I put in the reduced hammer spring and it works!!!
She can now load a round into the chamber. Really smooth too.

Thanks for all the help and input
doug
That's a good start. Hope it fires (no lite strikes) and cycles well too.

MSGTDOUG

Bearcat
Hunter,
It should cycle fine. I left the stock 9# springs on the guide rod. changed to a stainless steel one tho since the stock one was fairly chewed up.

Going shooting Sunday a.m.. will update after.

Thanks
doug