Ruger SR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
Undecided.

I have a 5" MKIII 60th Anniversary safe queen. Back in the 1970's I had a what, 6" MK I? Don't know for sure. It was stolen from my house and have never replaced it. Have a couple of Old Model Single Sixes but don't much care for them; of the Ruger .22 cal I kinda like the semi automatics. Most recent is the SR22. What I really like about it is the exposed hammer and the decocking lever; the 3-1/2" barrel is kinda short.

What say, should I go with this little shooter for $329, or stick with the MK series?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
That depends on your shooting style. If you are looking for maximum accuracy, and you don't plan on carrying it much (for plinking, small animals), then the Mark series is the clear winner. If you want something small and fun to shoot, then the SR22 might be for you.

Me, I would never trade in my Mark I on an SR22. My daughter loves my Mark I target. I can hardly get it out of her hands at the range now. She had the opportunity to shoot an SR22 the other day. She liked liked it, but expressed no other interest in it after picking up the Mark I again. I love the short, crisp 2 1/2 lb target trigger on my Mark.

I would not like to carry my Mark I in the woods. Yes it can be done, but still not my first choice. A standard Mark might be a compromise, but I really like the bull barrels.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
You're comparing grapes to apples. The SR22 is not a target pistol although it's accuracy is more than acceptable for most purposes . The SR22 is a "fun gun", and a great one if "plinking" and informal, non-competitive shooting is your game. I've owned numerous .22 handguns over the years, both wheel guns and semi-autos, from el cheapos to Colts and Brownings. As a "fun gun" the SR 22 tops them all.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Great fun gun. I love mine. any issues so far seem to be ammo related. and that is not very many. $329? Great price!