SR9 Barrel Peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Like to get an opinion, from those of you that are familiar with SR9 peening between the top front face of the barrel & the slide, about if the attached pics show enough wear worthy of a warranty return to Ruger.

I have an early 330 series purchased in late 2007. Haven't fired a whole lot through it though, only about 1200 rounds since it was new.

I sent it in to Ruger CS for the trigger recall about a year or two ago & they made no mention of it. I think the trigger recall thingy was for that ONLY & don't think they would've addressed it even if I would've brought it to their attention.

I did, however, call them and mention it to one of their gunsmiths about 6 or 8 months ago & was told the only way they'd call it in was if I'd send pics of the area in question 1st & then they would have to agree that it needs service.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
what can it hurt to send the pix? just to be on the safe side, I would and let them decide. I own five SR series pistols and have seen nothing like that with many more downrange in all but one of them and I just got the 40c a month ago.

Passtime

Bearcat
I am not a gunsmith but IMO they are probably just wear spots. My SR45 barrel has a few spots on it that are similar to your first pic but the mark on mine is on the underside of the barrel. I have about a thousand rounds through it and they have pretty much stayed the same since it was new. I might buff them out at some point. I will add, it cycles like a champ. I figure a new firearm has some sharp edges to start out and sometime need some time to wear in. I would think that each one may be a little different in the way they break in also. If it bothers you though send Ruger some pics. It can't hurt.