New S&W Bodyguard 380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
MYBABYISA44MAG said:
I know its not a Ruger, but anyone have any opinions on them...good, bad...whatever...
They have good reviews. I had one for a while and disliked the trigger and extra baggage of a laser sight. The gun shot well and was 100% reliable. Sold to a fellow who had to have a 380 with a thumb safety. He got a good deal and I was happy with my old Kel Tech PT3A, which Ruger copied to make the LCP. LCP = "Little Copied Pistol" This is a really good little gun and now it is made without laser sight which is a good idea for a little Pistol

I shot one a while back. The trigger pull weight stacked so much it it took forever to the trigger to break, the trigger was literally at the frame before the gun went off. Every time it was like this. I could not bear running more than 2 mags through it.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I shot one a while back. The trigger pull weight stacked so much it it took forever to the trigger to break, the trigger was literally at the frame before the gun went off. Every time it was like this. I could not bear running more than 2 mags through it.
Good description above. The surprising thing to me was that I actually shot the gun with good groups(sights were properly regulated). I am not fussy about triggers on little concealment guns like this, but this one is very poor.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I have one. The trigger is around 9-10 lbs. Double action only. its like shooting a revolver. it is very small, very light, easy to conceal. It has sights, safety, and a slide lock,just like a full size pistol. not fun to shoot& not horrible either. Just a pocket pistol ,I carry it everywhere, hardly know it's there.
The M&P bodyguard has NO laser and a stainless slide with melonite coating.
the old BG380 has a laser, carbon steel slide, blued finish

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
MYBABYISA44MAG said:
I know its not a Ruger, but anyone have any opinions on them...good, bad...whatever...
I have one, also have the new LCP. I prefer the LCP. The new sights
and trigger are much better than the old LCP. Sights on the BG380 are
better than the LCP but the trigger is not. Laser on the BG380 is ok
but the LCP in either the CT or LaserMax are easier to operate. My
wife carries a M&P Shield 9 in her purse and the LCP in an IWB
holster or pocket holster EDC. She doesn't always have her purse
but she has a 5:11 AA 120 lumen light, a Kershaw Leek knife and
the LCP w/ CT laser with her all the time.
I taught her well. :lol: I carry the BG380 as a back up to my SA XDs45.
Dano

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Although not a Kel Tech Fan, I like the P3AT for it's long trigger, reliability(400+ without single malfunction) and OK shooting for a pocket pistol. This has been in the Kel Tech inventory for a long time and the bugs have been worked out. The Ruger LCP is a copy of the P3AT and hence the "LCP" (Little Copied Pistol), but they improved it and the addition of manual slide lock is welcome. The shorter stroke on the new LCP's may be nice for more accurate shooting, but the long stroke makes more sense for a double action mouse pistol. For that reason, I would select that S&W Bodyguard or P3AT over the new LCP.

chuckbri

Bearcat
MYBABYISA44MAG said:

I know a couple people with them.

Trigger pull is looooong before the hammer drops.

It did sit in my hands better than the LCP, and has better sights than the LCP (hard not to).

It's your basic Kel Tec "homage".

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Trigger is NOT good in my experience with the 380 bodyguard. If the trigger was like the LCP, I would pick it over the LCP. But it's not, so I prefer the LCP.

modrifle3

Buckeye
MountainWalker said:
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Good description above. The surprising thing to me was that I actually shot the gun with good groups(sights were properly regulated). I am not fussy about triggers on little concealment guns like this, but this one is very poor.
So it is exactly like the Ruger.....