For those with the new LCP--length of trigger pull?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ammo dave

Bearcat
I have an original LCP but I've never really warmed up to the trigger pull. As a result, I usually carry a Kahr 380 as my back pocket gun. For those who have both the new and old LCPs, is the trigger really that much better? Anybody actually measured the length of pull on the new version?

Cholo

Staff member
I have a very early LCP and the trigger pull is long but smooth. I've picked up a few of the new ones in gun shops and the trigger pull is noticeably shorter. What I didn't like about the new ones is that the trigger was considerably grittier, and the fit/finish was poor. They rattled like 2 skeletons f-f-fornicating on a tin roof. I know function is everything with a carry gun; I get it. The bottom line is I wouldn't trade my old LCP for a new one. YMMV...

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Bought my wife an LCP yesterday, just fooling around with it, trigger tripped unexpectedly easy and short, it is one of the non dash editions. No ideas on the previous dash serial #s, although heard the triggers were long and hard.

ammo dave

Bearcat
Rocdoc, would you mind measuring the length of the pull on your new LCP? I'd buy a new one if the trigger was better than the old one. My Kahr is OK but the LCP fits my hand better and the Ruger is a little easier to conceal.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I like the older guns with longer trigger pull. This is a small concealment weapon and the longer trigger stroke(like a revolver) is the primary safety. I would keep the old LCP and count myself lucky. I have an older Kel Tech with longer pull that has been fired 400+ rounds without malfunction. If I had known Ruger was switching, I might have bought one.

ammo dave

Bearcat
All I'm trying to do is find out the length of the trigger pull on the newer models. The trigger pull on my Kahr is about 60% of the Ruger pull and I don't consider it a safety issue.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Dave,
I look at one of the new ones at the LGS and snapped the trigger several times. My impression was that the break occurred at the 60% of the old trigger stroke. Another way to conceptualize is to think of the old stroke as starting at 1 and breaking at 10. The newer trigger stroke starts at 1 and breaks at 6. Seemed lighter too. Just quick impression at the LGS counter. Why not go to your local gun store and try one out yourself and see if you like it>

ammo dave

Bearcat
I'd be satisfied with that sort of trigger pull reduction that's why I was hoping someone here on the forum had actually measured the pull on a new model. I'd try one at my local gun store but the only store with LCPs in stock doesn't allow any dry fires.

George

Blackhawk
Dave,
Ya MountainWalker is about righton with trigger pull. Sorry we only have the new model. It's my wifes but the trigger on her gun is not only shorter but it's smooth no grit at all "None" and crisp too. I Like how it works a lot! Maybe the dealer will let you use a snap cap. You should use snap caps in this Ruger line of guns. In any case I don't think you can go wrong with it if you decide to chance it and just buy it. George

Sloman

Bearcat
I just got my NEW (no dash) LCP from Ruger today. It was a replacement for my older (with a dash) LCP that kept shearing off the takedown pin heads. BTW: THANKS RUGER FOR THE EXCELLENT SERVICE!

I too noticed the new trigger pull on the gun. The shortness of pull to the break surprised me. At times the break is unexpected. Guess I just need to get used to it. And the pull is not as smooth as my old gun, but maybe that will work itself out in time. This is definitely a self defense gun.

On a side note, does anyone carry this gun with one in the chamber as a cwp? I used to with the old LCP but there is nothing in the new manual stating I can and I don't know if any newer changes, other than the trigger pull, were done on these new non-dash models that would make carrying one in the chamber dangerous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Sloman said:
I just got my NEW (no dash) LCP from Ruger today. It was a replacement for my older (with a dash) LCP that kept shearing off the takedown pin heads. BTW: THANKS RUGER FOR THE EXCELLENT SERVICE!

I too noticed the new trigger pull on the gun. The shortness of pull to the break surprised me. At times the break is unexpected. Guess I just need to get used to it. And the pull is not as smooth as my old gun, but maybe that will work itself out in time. This is definitely a self defense gun.

On a side note, does anyone carry this gun with one in the chamber as a cwp? I used to with the old LCP but there is nothing in the new manual stating I can and I don't know if any newer changes, other than the trigger pull, were done on these new non-dash models that would make carrying one in the chamber dangerous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
For CWP you will need to carry one in the chamber because most of the time you that you would ever need the little gun, you will not get advance notice or have time to chamber the weapon. I agree that the shorter trigger stroke is NOT an improvement for this strictly defensive pistol. However you can create a safe situation with a proper holster and good gun handling techniques. A holster that complete encases the trigger is a must. Also, you can practice with the gun to get comfortable with the new breaking point. This is really good source for a very high quality pocket holster at reasonable cost that keeps the gun clean, protects the trigger, and breaks up the outline in your pocket. http://www.rkbaholsters.com/pocketcarry.html If you want to carry on your belt, this maker also does exceptional work at reasonable cost: http://www.ozarksholstercompany.com/shop/solo-single-clip-holster/

You still have a good gun. After 150 rounds of practice you will be more comfortable with your new gun. A quality holster with stiff leather or plastic that encases the trigger along with careful gun handling should make you 100% safe.

langenc

Single-Sixer
ammo dave said:
I'd be satisfied with that sort of trigger pull reduction that's why I was hoping someone here on the forum had actually measured the pull on a new model. I'd try one at my local gun store but the only store with LCPs in stock doesn't allow any dry fires.
Ask em if you can make it wa wet fire!! Does he want to sell or not??

You always get to try on new shoes unless you buy on-line.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Of course you should be able to dry fire a gun if you are serious about buying it. Most gun stores don't even care if you are serious for a gun like the lcp. It's not some antique gun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I examined a new LCP yesterday out of curiosity and was surprised at how nice it was. The trigger felt sort of like a heavy Glock trigger which I think is ideal for this type of pistol. I really like the very vsible sights too. Ever since I got my CCW license my Kel-Tec P32 has been my usual micro carry option. It is 100% dependable, however I actually shoot my carry pistols alot and the trigger pull is quite long and it flings brass into the next county. I reload so the latter is a pretty big fault.

With the LCP, how far does it fling brass with typical FMJ ammo? Does the brass fall into the same general area? Also, would you think that a 95 grain lead bullet at 800 fps would be very difficult to shoot out of this pistol?

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I have an older LCP, cant comment on how far the newer ones fling brass but my old one flings it everywhere. My personal home range is grass and I have yet been able to find more than a couple empties. :cry: The little buggers just disappear.