SR45 question. non-owner.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A buddy of mine is interested in purchasing an SR45. I have heard of several cases from my fellow members here regarding magazine release issues. A little while back I was shopping for a .45 and almost bought one of these guns. But the mag release button felt like the catch would barely hold the magazine and it was difficult to engage. Are a lot of these like this? Btw, we both love the grip on this gun. It points very well. The sight picture is very natural and easy to acquire. Please share your experiences and advice. Thanks.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Mine was a pig. I bought mine way back right after it hit the market. I'm sure the magazine/mag release problems have been corrected. Great gun, that is, very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. My issue was magazine seating and the mag release/lock finally broke. I never could get 10 rounds to seat with confidence. The slide scraped hell out of the top round when all 10 were loaded and the magazine would pop out every now and again. I had 4 factory magazines and each one had a different angle of approach when I'd insert a magazine and look at the angle the top round would enter the chamber. Probably more of a magazine issue than the gun. Pity, the SR45 is a great gun when it's hitting on all ten. Many posters have no problems at all, so maybe I bought a chump. The last time it came back from Ruger I sold it. I'll probably buy another after the problems get ironed out. Even the SR9 had to be re-tooled (trigger/mag release) and the LCP had a big recall with the drop/bang issue. The SR45 will be a world beater when the bugs are ironed out. It may already be corrected for all I know. One thing is for sure, the SR45 is a blast.

Passtime

Bearcat
Here's the short story. I had some issues. Ruger sent me a replacement. Had one issue with it but I think I was just gun shy from the issues with the first one. I should have gave it time to get broken in. After around 500 rounds it smoothed out. I have around a thousand through it now and it is sweet. I am glad I stuck with it.

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:) I just picked up a used SR45 from my LGS. He got it as a trade from a regular customer and claimed that only 10 rounds had been fired through it. He was asking $399, but took my offer of $350 cash. It has the stainless slide just like my SR9c,which I am very pleased with. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but will post results when I do. I carried a short barrel 1911 for years before getting my SR9C, so I am a big .45 acp fan. I don't think this will be my daily carry gun, at least in summer clothes, but it fits nice in my computer bag when I am driving. The mags take a stout rap to seat them, but it feeds fine and dryfiring indicates a good trigger pull for a self defense pistol. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Cape Cod Terry :D

Passtime

Bearcat
The trigger took a little time for me to get used to. The break (if you want to call it that) surprises me but the more I shoot it the more I like it. It has definitely improved my shooting skills.

Well. The grip is great. The factory trigger was mediocre. Seems like that has a solution now. Not a big fan of the mag release i tried. I would hate to run into problems. Im sure ruger would find a solution for me if so.

So 3 of my 4 categories are covered... Now the tough one.

Accuracy. How does this gun shoot? Im not expecting tje same kind of accuracy I would from my P227, but let me know.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Very accurate. The only 45 acp I ever shot where double taps are easy due to minimized recoil from its excellent design. Tight double taps were never so easy for me. Pity the magazine issue has to queer the deal for me. But, again, I had a very early SR45. Grouped well out of the box. I own an SR9 and 9C. All 3 SR Rugers never needed any sight adjustments out of the box. That amazes me because I've always been torqueing sights on my S&W semis.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've had mine for about 8 months now and no issues. Probably have 500 rounds through it of varying brands and loads.

Well he bought an all black SR45. I had already purchased a P227 so holding off a bit.

A few things I noticed on his new gun. The slide to frame fit was very tigh, excellent. The internal metal lockwork was more substantial than a glock or xd. The fit and finish was better than I remember on my father in laws SR9C. The magaxine catch seemed to function better than the one i saw in the gun store. It did seem a little "gritty" however. We are excited sbout shooting these guns.

Shawn

Bearcat
I picked up the SR45 last week and shot it yesterday.Not 1 single problem with it and very accurate. Recoil is not as bad as I expected. I did notice it was hard to get a magazine to lock in place,but a little extra push does the trick.The magazine never came out while shooting 100 rounds through it.
Very happy I chose this gun and got a pretty good deal on it new.