SR22, FTE... But first an apology!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jwk72

Bearcat
Ok, this is my first post and I figured before I got into my issue I needed to start with an apology to Ruger and Ruger users. For over 10 years I have been sworn off this manufacturer due to a bad experience a while back. I had bought a 9mm (P89 or something?) back in the late 90's and it was miserable. Not going to get into that but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I have never touched one since... Until recently. I must admit I was wrong! A LGS had put a .45 1911 in my hand which seems like one hell of a gun. Then last week while out shopping for a new 9mm (was pretty well set on either a Glock or FNH) the dealer put the SR9c in my hand and almost instantly I loved it. I looked it over and "played" with it for a few minutes and figured I'd give it a try. While filling out paperwork the dealer knew I was looking for a .22 to get me kids started with and handed me the SR22... Yep, bought it too! Got to go shoot yesterday and these are two of the nicest shooters I've ever had. I need to play with the sights on the SR9c as it seems to be shooting high and left by a few inches but otherwise was flawless.

Which brings me to my issue/question. As nice as it shoots, I was having a few issues with the SR22 failing to extract. I found a number of various posts around the Internet on different forums, most of which were from over a year ago, with people having similar issues. It's funny because there didn't seem to be anyone in the middle, it was either "mine eats everything" or they were failing to extract or load. Is this gun that picky on ammo or is it just that I need to shoot a lot more through it first? The copper jacketed loads were fine but the lead tipped Federal's were the main culprit. I've never had this happen before, should I be thinking about sending it in to Ruger? I'd really hate to because this thing shoots like a dream... I hate to sound cliche but its a tack driver!

Thoughts?

Trucker

Single-Sixer
By saying the issue was confined to the Federal I'd certainly be a bit suspicious of the ammo, but I've never had any problem with Federal. Is it possible the Federal ammo was way under powered? Didn't happen to be Federal Target ammo by any chance? I've never challenged my SR22 with any low powered ammo like target loads. I've always used standard, high speed, or hyper speed.

Was shooting with a buddy at his place and he mentioned that he had a 500 round lot that his gun wouldn't function with. Ran a couple mags through the SR22 bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang ... drop mag insert loaded mag bang bang ........

Got over 450 rounds free!

jwk72

Bearcat
This is what it didn't like...

ae040b723cb82d4452b2866366c2a003.jpg

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Lucky or good salesman. He pulled the would you like fries with that but much cooler with a 22 to go along with your new SR9c.

I'm of no help with the ammo issue, and have no experience with the SR22. But the SR9c is a great gun and mine has almost 3000 flawless rounds through it.

jwk72

Bearcat
rammerjammer said:
Lucky or good salesman. He pulled the would you like fries with that but much cooler with a 22 to go along with your new SR9c.

That could very well be but I'm ok with that because I legitimately was in the market for a .22 pistol for the kids to shoot. I guess I'll have to just shoot jacketed rounds for now until it gets good and broken in and if it continues to be an issue ill send it in. I was just hoping that it would handle the cheaper ammo for the kids use. Oh well.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
ALL my .22's seem to like this stuff: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/439553/federal-champion-target-ammunition-22-long-rifle-36-grain-plated-lead-hollow-point-box-of-525

Copper washed and the pointy nature of the "hollow point" makes them feed great in anything.

Good luck finding some though!

Yiddil

Single-Sixer
I have the SR22 and it eats anything Ive put in it...I keep getting different rds to play with...No experience with the above federal...my 10/22 take down is the same way...eats everything...

Erich

Single-Sixer
My SR22P used to feed anything I could buy - but that changed during the Great .22 Drought. Because of the way performance has changed with newer ammo, I am under the impression that Federal has done something to its brass - I'm finding increased extraction issues with it. Friends confirm this is their experience as well.

The SR22 only gets used with CCI ammo at this point.

Latest posts