SR9C for my wife?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Junglebob

Bearcat
My wife took a CC Course with me and I'm wondering about the suitability of an SR9C as a carry gun for her.

The instructor had handguns to use and she chose a .22 semi-auto as she had used one in a basic pistol class previously. She has fired my 9mm but doesn't like the recoil. I understand the felt recoil on the SR9C is good. One other problem is she has a problem racking the slide on a semi-auto. She had held a S&W Shield at the classroom portion of the CC class and liked the feel. I arranged to meet the instructor at the range for her to try it. Even with help on technique she couldn't rack the slide enough to chamber a round. She can do that with my handgun, just not very well.

I'd like some opinions does the SR9C have an easier slide than the Shield? Someone may say go to a range and rent several guns to try. Problem is no ranges in my area rent guns. I'd like to have her try an SR9C if it might be a good option. I imagine I could find someone at the gun club I belong to that has one.

We borrowed a S&W snubby .38 revolver from a friend to try and she did terrible with it, no where near the bullseye at about 7 yards.

E.C. West

Bearcat
My wife couldn't handle the slide on any brand of 9mm. I think we tried them all. I tried to talk her into getting a revolver. "Simple to use". Nope, not for her. She wanted to look like Lara Croft shooting her guns. (I wish she did look like Lara but that is for another forum). My wife could work the slide on the SR22, so I bought that for her. Like she said, "it is pretty" so she is happy. She getting quite good at hitting the target and enjoys shooting it.

timboy

Bearcat
The slide is pretty tough on my Sr9c,if she had trouble with other gunsI doubt it would be any better.
I have read the slides on the SIG 1911 style .380's are far friendlier to those with weaker hands or arthrits ect.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
My wife ended up having to carry a 5 shot .38 Special J frame. She just lacks the physical strength to manipulate the slide of a semi-auto. And if she were confronted with a situation where she had to clear a tight jam, forget it.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Junglebob said:
I'd like to have her try an SR9C if it might be a good option.

The perceived recoil with the SR9C is, in my opinion, about as mild as you'll ever get in a 9mm. Working the slide is a different story. She'll likely find it unworkable for her due to the stiff captured recoil springs. Most small local gun shops would allow her to try working the slide on the SR9C as well as on other 9mm guns. At least that's the situation locally where I live.

She will also probably find the recoil very distasteful with any small and light .38 special revolver. The recoil issue would only intensify with defensive loads.

One alternative would be to check out the one line of Beretta's .32's with the flip-up barrel. Small, extremely concealable, less recoil and no need to work the slide in order to fully load the little rascal complete with one in the chamber. It's a different animal [DA/SA] and making the operator fully familiar will all the operating idiosyncrasies would be mandatory. Less than ideal caliber, but if larger calibers cause her to not like to shoot, then in an emergency the .32 would be better than pointing her finger, saying bang bang, and screaming.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
My wife can rack the slide on VERY FEW 9mm pistols. She can rack slide easily on the Sig P938. Im considering one of these to add to my carry rotation.
A locked breach .380 can have a significantly weaker recoil spring than a blowback .380 and certainly weaker than a full power 9 mm.

Junglebob

Bearcat
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
My wife can rack the slide on VERY FEW 9mm pistols. She can rack slide easily on the Sig P938. Im considering one of these to add to my carry rotation.

How is the recoil on the P938? It is a some more than I planned on spending.

Any .380 pistol anyone can recommend with easy to work slide and heavy enough that recoil isn't as bad or worse than most 9mm?

The recoil on a 938 really isnt bad at all... Barely higher than a 238. The P238 has an even easier to work slide. My wife was very happy the day she "graduated" to 9mm.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
If you're considering a 380 I have a buddy that has a Walter PK380 and it has the easiest to rack slide I ever racked [not that I've racked a lot of different 380's]. The PK380 is a DA/SA. I haven't tried the slide on the newer Ruger LC380's .. DAO ... you may want to check that out too.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
I know she doesn't like a snubby 38, but I'm still going to suggest a 357 LCR. The 357 weighs about 4oz more than the 38 to help recoil. Maybe even a snubby SP101.

Then load it with Hornady 38 Special 90 gr FTX Critical Defense LITE.
http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

If not you're going to be looking for a 380 she likes. The LC380 is supposed to be easy to rack, but I hate the magazine release size/location.

As far as racking the slide. Tell her to hold the slide tight, and rack the gun. It seems to make it easier.

Taterman

Buckeye
My wife has no trouble with the slide on her SR9, it's the recoil or anticipated recoil that makes her flinch when shooting. She shoots in a women's league and everyone else uses a .22 so she's been borrowing one for that. Your best bet would be to find a gun store with a range and have her test out a SR9c.

Junglebob

Bearcat
jjmIII_Ruger said:
I know she doesn't like a snubby 38, but I'm still going to suggest a 357 LCR. The 357 weighs about 4oz more than the 38 to help recoil. Maybe even a snubby SP101.

Then load it with Hornady 38 Special 90 gr FTX Critical Defense LITE.
http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

If not you're going to be looking for a 380 she likes. The LC380 is supposed to be easy to rack, but I hate the magazine release size/location.

As far as racking the slide. Tell her to hold the slide tight, and rack the gun. It seems to make it easier.

Does either the 357 LCR or SP101 have a lighter trigger than the S&W .38 snubby she tried? Maybe something with a 9 1/2 pound trigger pull would help accuracy.

jjmIII_Ruger

Single-Sixer
Junglebob said:
Does either the 357 LCR or SP101 have a lighter trigger than the S&W .38 snubby she tried? Maybe something with a 9 1/2 pound trigger pull would help accuracy.

The LCR is around 10.5 lbs. The SP101 is around 14 lbs, but is very easy to adjust to around 10.5 lbs with a Wolff spring change.

In Regards to the LCR trigger: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ryan-finn/gun-review-ruger-lcr-357-revolver/

"The second key innovation is the trigger. Ruger redesigned the DAO trigger with a friction reducing cam mechanism; which, according to Ruger's literature, results in a "smooth, non-stacking trigger pull."

"Ruger's revolutionary trigger has a relatively short pull with an easy smooth pull back. Dry firing revealed no stacking, no grit, no nothing; the cylinder rotated into place with Swiss precision. Milliseconds later I encountered the cleanest break I ever felt on a revolver. An affront to Smith & Wesson fans? Hyperbole?"

"The Ruger LCR .357 is fun. It's a relatively lightweight yet accurate revolver with a trigger that beats the snot out of any other double action revolver I've ever sampled."

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Another option is the LC9 which is not too bad to rack and recoil is manageable. The LC380 is made with just your concerns in mind. Reduced recoil spring is easier to manipulate and recoil is reduced as well.

Junglebob

Bearcat
Highspeedlane said:
My wife ended up having to carry a 5 shot .38 Special J frame. She just lacks the physical strength to manipulate the slide of a semi-auto. And if she were confronted with a situation where she had to clear a tight jam, forget it.

I'm wondering if a Ruger 101 revolver might be something for her. It being a little heavier should reduce felt recoil. I found a range that rents revolvers in a city not to far from us. They don't rent that model of Ruger revolver, but do have a Taurus 85 that they rent. How would the trigger pull and felt recoil on that compare?

I found some .38 special wadcutter police ammo in 3D brand, would this have a lighter powder charge than normal FMJ ammo?