Is there an sr45c coming?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maybe this has been discussed already, but I was wondering if there is anything firm from Ruger about coming out with a compact 45acp. I really love my P97dc but it is too large (for me) to consider as a carry gun. I have the sr40c but despite trying, I just cannot seem to like this cartridge. A compact 45acp, if the recoil is not too severe, sounds like a winner to me. Since I now routinely carry a 5-round j-frame most of the time, if capacity is 6 or more it will seem even sweeter.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I only know what I've heard around here. I know that Ruger is well aware of the requests for a 45c. The last I heard the official word when you cut through the company PR style of responses is,- "maybe". If there has been other word that I'm not aware of I'd like to know too.

Some have commented I think correctly that it will probably be the most difficult of all the SR's to design if it is ever done, or is being done now in private. Simply because they say its typically hard to get any compact .45acp semi auto to function reliably when the barrels only a few inches.

My guess based on nothing but a hunch, they probably have at least already built a prototype but if they can't make it as reliable as the .40 or 9mm SR or there's other problems we'll probably never see it.

Rei40c said:
I only know what I've heard around here. I know that Ruger is well aware of the requests for a 45c. The last I heard the official word when you cut through the company PR style of responses is,- "maybe". If there has been other word that I'm not aware of I'd like to know too.

Some have commented I think correctly that it will probably be the most difficult of all the SR's to design if it is ever done, or is being done now in private. Simply because they say its typically hard to get any compact .45acp semi auto to function reliably when the barrels only a few inches.

My guess based on nothing but a hunch, they probably have at least already built a prototype but if they can't make it as reliable as the .40 or 9mm SR or there's other problems we'll probably never see it.

I would suggest "as reliable OR PROFITABLE as the .40 or 9mm SR..... :)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
steveodtw said:
Rei40c said:

I would suggest "as reliable OR PROFITABLE as the .40 or 9mm SR..... :)

I think the problem there for them would be the Springfield XDS .45. They'd have to be asking why someone would buy the Ruger instead. It's kinda hard to come up with many good reasons, unless you count the part of the market that would really want a thumb safety lever. And a little less price, but not much.

I once had a Kimber Ultra Carry II. This is a really good looking, good feeling, and accurate small 45acp gun. But I was constantly having FTE and FTF problems. Two trips back to Kimber could not resolve the issue, so the LGS that I bought it from gave me virtually a 100% trade in value and I bought a good revolver. I am somewhat leery of a 3-inch barrel 45acp, but a 3.5 or 4 inch with a more compact grip might be a workable design that Ruger could use. For me, I just have not been a fan of 9mm, and the 40S&W round in the sr40c is just no fun to shoot. I guess I am hoping for the impossible: a 45acp that feels like my P97 but is as small or smaller than the sr40c.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
vito said:
I once had a Kimber Ultra Carry II. This is a really good looking, good feeling, and accurate small 45acp gun. But I was constantly having FTE and FTF problems. Two trips back to Kimber could not resolve the issue, so the LGS that I bought it from gave me virtually a 100% trade in value and I bought a good revolver. I am somewhat leery of a 3-inch barrel 45acp, but a 3.5 or 4 inch with a more compact grip might be a workable design that Ruger could use. For me, I just have not been a fan of 9mm, and the 40S&W round in the sr40c is just no fun to shoot. I guess I am hoping for the impossible: a 45acp that feels like my P97 but is as small or smaller than the sr40c.

I liked how Glock came up with the Glock 30 design. They didn't try to make it a micro pistol but I suppose made it probably about as small as practically possible. Which is still kinda big really. Will be hard to replace the P97 its a unique gun thats style seems to be out of fashion right. Maybe one of those guns there is no true replacement for.

That's why I have no plans on getting rid of my P97. When I bought it many years ago I knew nothing about semi-autos, but just wanted a 45acp gun. The P97 was in the gun case at the LGS, and was by far the least expensive. But I had always thought Ruger was a good name in guns, so I bought it. I think I paid $360 at the time, about 1997 I think. I like the light trigger. The only thing I changed were the sights, putting in some red/green low light sights to help my aging eyes. This used to be my home defense gun until I gave that role to a 357mag revolver with Crimson Trace grips.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
They should be able to overcome all the same problems that Sig, HK, S&W, Springfield, Glock and others did with their compact .45 acp pistols.

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
my last inquiry was in Feb. of this year. the response was that was not a current project. I would also like one but not yet apparently.

6gun

Hunter
A Compact is exactly what I've been waiting for Ruger to make, if they can keep the price down the same as they did with their other two 1911's they will take over the market cause all the other manufactures are way over priced, I'm all in for a 45 compact I would like them to make it in 9MM also cause I want one in that cal. as well.

Shawn

Bearcat
I don't care for the looks of the SR9c and SR40c. The grips were to small for my liking. I am considering on getting the SR9 next.