SR9C or SR40C ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

E.C. West

Bearcat
I have been thinking about buying a semi-auto pistol for several months. I finally decided on the SR series. I would like your opinions on which one, the SR9C or the SR40C ? I do reload ammo, though I have not reloaded 9 mm or 40 cal. I do reload 44 mag and most common rifle ammo.

Is it worth the savings to reload 9mm or 40 cal.?

I do hunt a lot but usually deer hunt with a Super Redhawk 44 and/or a rifle of several calibers I can choose from.

Mostly the SR will be for home defense.

What are the pro's and con's of the 9mm and the 40 cal.?

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I reload .40 S&W 180 gr. JHP for 20 cents a round and 9 mm 115 gr. JHP for slightly less, not enough difference to notice. The SR9c and 40c are both really great pistols, i CC the 40c and shoot both at the range along with the full size 9 and 40, they have all proved to be completely reliable and accurate. The compact models are better for CC but for any other use it is strictly a personal preference thing.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I have both the 9 & 40 compact and they are both very nice. The double recoil spring really reduces the recoil on both of these units. The SR40c is low recoil and the SR9c is almost like shooting a 22 auto pistol. New 9mm self defense ammo has been much improved in recent years, so it is a viable choice. My first one was the SR40c and I still believe that the 40SW is more effective and not that much more expensive than 9mm and is easy to reload if you wish. I got the SR9c later due to a sale at a LGS.

Be aware that the recoil spring that reduces recoil so well makes it a real bear to rack the slide. Also, the slide serrations are very sharp and some folks have reported cutting of fingers(small cuts). I found it was an easy 10 minute job to take small piece of very fine wet/dry paper and just barely break the sharp edges. Don't round the edges off, just barely break that sharp edge. This makes it much easier to manage the slide.

As for spring strength, using proper technique makes slide manipulation easy once you get the technique down. With left hand holding the slide stationary close to your body, push the grip frame with your right hand.

These are really nice little pistols at a very attractive price. My favorite would be the SR40c in 40SW.

Brian48

Bearcat
I went with the SR9C. Primarily because I already had a lot of 9mm ammo on hand and the cost of ammo is a bit lower if I needed more. I conceal carry so I like the slightly lower weight as well when using the lighter bullets during the warmer months.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Current 9 mm defensive ammunition is so effective that arguing a .40 or .45 is essential is way out of date. I prefer the SR9c for it's lower recoil, less expensive practice ammunition and lower reloading costs.

E.C. West

Bearcat
I had a dealer order me the SR9C Stainless Steel. He gave me a good price of $400 plus tax and shipping. The grand total was $425. That was a good price. I had priced them here in Springfield, MO.--->> Bass Pro had one for $499, Academy Sports $469, and a pawn/gun shop $439

My wife picked up the gun for me yesterday. It was on my desk when I got home from work. I opened the box and found it was not the stainless steel model but the alloy steel. I had her return it today and I got my money back. Grrrr.... The shop owner was so inept, that he told my wife that he didn't think the SR9C came in stainless. (dumbass)

Pawn/gun shop here I come. I hope you haven't sold it yet.

E.C. West

Bearcat
I went back to the gun dealer today. I showed him the SR9C was available in stainless. He apologized for ordering the wrong gun. He order me the stainless model and it will be here Tuesday. He kept the first SR9C (blue) and has it priced $399.95

All is well.

Latest posts