Ruger 9mm pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
That's like saying "I'm thinking of purchasing a Ford, which one?"

What is your intended use? Plinking, home defense, Concealed Carry, etc.

What price point are you looking at? As inexpensive as possible, or open?

I carry a KP95DC. It's fairly large overall but fits my hand well and I don't have to worry much about 100% concealment since I live in an open carry legal state. I also have P89 pistols and have carried them but they're even larger(longer barrel). I'm not a fan of itty bitty pistols and find them much more difficult to use with adequate accuracy.
If you're bound by law or personal choice to maintain full concealment with light, warm weather attire, the P-series will require some consideration to achieve this goal.
I could carry about any type/brand of handgun but I choose to stake my life on the P95 so that should give some idea of my confidence in the gun.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The P-series (P-85, 89, 95) are good guns but out of production and no longer well supported by Ruger or the aftermarket. The current 9 mm models are the SR9 and SR9c and either will serve you well.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
SR9c - Good carry gun and fun to shoot. I seem to shoot it better than its big brother.
Simple to clean for beginners also.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
I really like my SR9c. Easy to conceal but also has the extended mag for even more fun at the range. It's surprisingly accurate for the barrel length. Since it's 9mm, ammo is cheaper than .40 cal. People really seem to like their SR 1911s too.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
As was asked need some more info. I am as much of a Ruger guy as the next on this forum but if you are limiting yourself to current production 9mm semi you are pretty much down to (LC9, SR9c, SR9) the LC9, which is pretty much a CCW, and not a range gun. Mine shoots great but its not a fun gun to shoot for extended range practice. The SR9c tries to be a CCW and a Range gun, many guys like them, its a compromise. Now, I don't have much experience with the SR9c. The SR9 is a full size pistol, it is a good range gun, I use mine frequently for steel challenge, it is also a good full size combat pistol. I have thousands of rounds through my SR9, have had to replace the firing pin spring retaining cup when it cracked and fell apart that was at about 6000 rds. That being said the current 9mm offering is pretty limited.

As much as I am in to Rugers, there are a lot of other potential options. with SA, SA/DA, Striker fired pistols.

The M&P series are some very good striker fired pistols and various options in 9mm with different barrel lengths and the pro series offering.

The other question are you only looking at domestic made in USA, or Pistols made or headquarters out side of the US. CZ makes some very nice 9mm.

Price point
if where it is made a consideration
what do you want to do with it. Range, CCW, competition

Good luck
Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

Jim Puke

Hunter
Ruger single actions are about the only guns that Ruger makes that I REALLY like, with the exception of MK series 22lr pistiols.

If I were buying a 9mm, whether for carry or range use, it would probably be one of the M&P Smith and Wesson's.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I still think Ruger should have got their heads out of their rears . . . really overhauled the P95 and said the heck with the striker stuff, but it sales and that is the name of the Ruger game.

To keep the Pseries alive, Ruger would have to have reengineered the barrel locking design. The P95 is world above the P89, but lack of a solid lock up hurt accuracy. Made it dead nuts reliable but prevented that little bit of an edge it needed.

Even better tolerances in the hood area would have close the groupings of these pistols significantly.

But still really good guns and I like them. I don't have a 95, but still keep my P97 and P90 close.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The P97 and P95 locking system was a superb idea and better manufacturing techniques would have made this pistol a class leader.

Hugh

Buckeye
I have an SR9. It feels good in the hand and the weight is just right for me. I really like those things about it. And now the down side for me. I thought I would like it but am just not comfortable with a striker fired pistol and I prefer a visible hammer. My SR9 is a safe queen and when I want to shoot or carry 9mm out comes the Taurus PT92AF.

If you're ok with a striker fired pistol without visible hammer that one is certainly worth a look. Price isn't bad either.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Hugh said:
If you're ok with a striker fired pistol without visible hammer that one is certainly worth a look. Price isn't bad either.
The SR9 has a striker block, a trigger mounted safety lever and a manual safety. I consider it as inherently safe as any hammer fired gun and a lot safer than many.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I purchased one of the early SR9s (500 or so) that were sold with the commemorative knife, if I remember correctly. However, after the troubles and the recall, I have not even gotten it back out of the box.

Just kept shooting my ole P-series pistols.

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
I can't comment on the SR series but I do own a P95, it will shoot as good as any of my Glocks. As stated no longer in production but they can be found around local GS for around 300.00, good one to have.