Ruger 9mm pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckNaked40

Bearcat
Not to steer away from the fine Ruger line, but I've had my eye on a Rock Island Armory (Amscor) 22 TCM. It comes with 2 barrels and recoil springs, 22 TCM and 9mm and the magazine carries both. The 22TCM is basically a 40 grain 22 JHP married up to a "necked down" 223 or some would say a necked down 9mm. Very interesting concept to say the least. It delivers that little projectile down range at over 2000 fps. WOW! Basically 2 guns in one. Runs about $620 to $650. A box of 50 22TCM runs about $25 per 50 rd box.

MikeWyatt

Bearcat
No single gun is perfect IMHO- any gun you rely on for self defense needs to be one you are very familiar with.

It has to be comfortable shooting on the range, AND relatively cost effective to shoot. I think a 9 mm is a good choice in these respects. A 380 "palm pistol", is not, again, my opinion. If you can't comfortably shoot it you won't.

It costs twice as much, but I think a gun that is concealable, plus available both in 22 LR and in 9 mm is the perfect combination. The S&W M&P fits these criteria. Just not all that "concealable"- but at least they are light.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I can tell you from personal experience the P89 or P95 is a good choice. As far as parts availability Ruger is still supporting owners because they only recently dropped production. Also the Federal Bureau of Prisons use to use the P89 DAO but now currently utilize the P95 DAO so there are parts availability as well as shopruger.com the P series is one of the only items they will sell you parts for. Even though Ruger dropped it they are still floating into BOP. (much like LAPD and NYPD get S&W support for their LAPD's 4566/5906 and NYPD's 5946)

For the normal Joe/Jane I wouldn't worry about needing much in repairs. Although most of the masses wish for a different standard issue duty gun the Rugers do do what they need to for BOP just fine.