P-90 slide spring tension.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djh

Bearcat
Folks I have a S & W 4506-1 piostol in 45ACP. I'm retired and 76 years old. My hand strength has deminished somewhat since I retired to the point it is difficult for me to rack the slide on the 4506. It has a 14 lb. spring as equipted from the factory.

I want your opinion.

Do you think if it would be better for me to have a Ruger P-90 45ACP with an 11 lb. spring? To me it makes sense that it would be eaiser to rack the slide of an 11lb spring then a 14lb. spring.

What do you think?
djh

tech4064

Bearcat
I never handled a 4506, so I can't compare the two. However, some people find it easier to rack the slide if they manually cock the hammer first. This eliminates the extra resistance of the hammer spring.

djh

Bearcat
tech4064 said:
I never handled a 4506, so I can't compare the two. However, some people find it easier to rack the slide if they manually cock the hammer first. This eliminates the extra resistance of the hammer spring.

Thanks, I alway's cock the hammer prior to racking the slide.

djh

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Go to the gun store and try some guns out. With recent advances in ammunition, you might find something like a Sig P239 9mm or a Sig P250 Sub Compact 9mm easier to manage loading and handling. They also may be a bit easier to shoot and you would still be well armed.

If you feel you must stay with the 45ACP, the Sig P250 Compact is very easy to rack the slide. This is a double action only pistol with very fine double action that is a bit long, but that adds to it's safety. I like mine a lot and find it shoots very well for me.

Perhaps most important, perhaps you should talk to a physical therapist about building your strength. This is normal in the aging process but can be reversed with a little work and knowing the right things to do. Also bringing the pistol close to you and pushing with the hand holding the frame while holding the slide, increases your power ratio. Good luck and keep shooting! :)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
djh: I just racked my P90 and found it to be very light indeed. If you have a line on one of these, I would urge you to buy it. IMO, it is the crown jewel of the Ruger P pistols with great reliability and accuracy. I seem to recall that I had some slightly oversize reloads which caused problems for my Colt Government, but the P90 gobbled them all up with no problems.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
the p90 is pretty easy to rack......also the manual safety version has levers that also give you something to grab onto as well.