Done with plastic guns?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I can't help but feeling im done with plastic guns! I sold off the rest, but as of last week had two left. A Gen 4 Glock 17 and a Gen 4 Glock 23.

Not a big fan of the .40, see other threads. A buddy of mine wanted it, so I sold it we agreed on $450.00.

The 17 is still in my safe. I havent decided yet...

Does anyone else here feel this way?

Has anyone found a solution?

Please help...

6gun

Hunter
I don't care for plastic guns and have no plan to ever buy any, won't buy any plastic stocked rifles either. (expect AR's they never were wood)

Jim Puke

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:

Please help...

Just be content to pay more money and carry more weight...problem solved.

I don't particularly like them, but they definitely serve a purpose...cheaper, reliable and light.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I prefer all steel in full size handguns such as the 1911. The extra weight makes them easy to shoot over long strings and they remind me of a simpler, less technologically complicated era of time.

However, plastic frames are a huge bonus in weight savings and maintenance in such designs as deep concealment subcompacts, my EDC S&W Shield being an example of that.

Plastic is here to stay, but there are plenty of old-school all steel hand cannons we can use and enjoy for a very long time ahead.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I was a little skeptical about polymer frames when I purchased my first. My other handguns are all at least 30 years old. I decided on an SR9c, and have never looked back. I don't care much for Glocks. Between the ergonomics, trigger, and lack of a manual safety, they are not my cup of tea. YMMV. The SR9c, however has a great trigger, for a striker fired. It fits my hand well, and the lesser weight makes for easier carry. Recoil is a little heavy, but that is the price of easier carry.

For a carry weapon, they are hard to beat IMO.

For a range weapon, I prefer the heavier metal frames, and an SA trigger.

I just turned 60, so I fully expect this weapon to last the rest of my life, and then some.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Personally I never cared for plastic guns and don't own any.
The only reason guns are made out of plastic is because it is cheaper and easier to pour plastic into a mold than it is to machine a piece of steel.
I don't care what they say about weight , durability , weather resistant or whatever , it is all about making them as fast and cheap as possible with the least amount of cost to the maker.
There is no way you can convince me that plastic is better than steel.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I started off adding more plastic to my collection. Then a few years back I discovered the joy of shooting and carrying revolvers. So I have sold off/traded most of my plastic collection. I now only have an LCP, LCR and SR9c that are plastic. Everything else is good old steel.

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
Not one plastic gun in my possession...Just do not care for or trust them....

Like wearing a fake leather coat to me...

groberts

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I can't help but feeling im done with plastic guns! I sold off the rest, but as of last week had two left. A Gen 4 Glock 17 and a Gen 4 Glock 23.

Not a big fan of the .40, see other threads. A buddy of mine wanted it, so I sold it we agreed on $450.00.

The 17 is still in my safe. I havent decided yet...

Does anyone else here feel this way?

Please help...

The problem isn't plastic, it's Glock. :p

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Busterswoodshop said:
I don't care what they say about weight ...

I would think that puts you in the minority. I swapped my SR9c for a Beretta Nano as much for weight as size. It makes a huge difference to many of us.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Nerd_Ferguson said:
Busterswoodshop said:
I don't care what they say about weight ...

I would think that puts you in the minority. I swapped my SR9c for a Beretta Nano as much for weight as size. It makes a huge difference to many of us.

I don't believe there is a gun company out there that makes a gun out of plastic so it will be lighter.
They make them out of plastic for one reason only. Because it is cheaper to make.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Never say never. In general, I do not care for plastic-framed pistols; but my HK USP is undeniably a world-class weapon. I was not a big fan of it when introduced, but it has proved itself. I have also owned numerous Glocks. They just plain work, but I have never warmed up to them as I have the HK. The Ruger P95 is a darned good pistol I am quite fond of. I much prefer metal-framed guns, just as I prefer blued steel and walnut; but stainless and synthetic (or at least laminate) have their strong points. I wouldn't necessarily swear off a particular type.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Aesthetically speaking I much prefer steel in a frame but I'm sold on plastic for deep concealment subcompacts. They just wear lighter and in the warmer weather or when you're active you tend to sweat all over them and it's one less area you have to be concerned with corroding.

But put me on the range with a few hundred rounds to send down range and I'll take a steel frame 1911 any day of the week.

Eaglestroker

Single-Sixer
My number fluctuates, but my G20 has been one to keep. I don't find any attraction to them but they work, their inexpensive, and if something happened too it I wouldn't loose sleep over. That is NOT the case with most of my wheel guns.

I don't disagree with the statement: Glocks just work! I used to feel they were the most reliable. But i found many brands offer guns that "just work". Reliability used to be an issue, but it seems like A LOT of guns have little to no reliability issues these days...

6gun

Hunter
I'm also done with new DA revolvers now, just look at the ugly line up of new DA revolvers on Rugers site with big ugly black rubber grips, so sick of looking at them, just as ugly as a plastic gun, and I don't like those ugly wood grips shaped like the rubber ones either, I want a steal grip frame with a back strap and two side wood grips, they have done the same thing with DA revolver grip frames as the have with plastic guns just a cheap molded thing they don't have to spent time finishing only MIM in stead of plastic they hide with a rubber grip, not a single new Ruger DA Revolver I'm interested in buying right now.

Latest posts