Done with plastic guns?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welder said:
I'm happy that any gun owner likes guns, whatever the flavor. I have some plastic some of steel, aluminum and wood. They're all welcome in my safe, and there's room for more. Let me add one thing though and that is that the 1911 is the only one I find myself just holding and admiring repeatedly. I like them all, I love the JMB classic and always will.

HUGE +1 to that!

modrifle3

Buckeye
MIM and investment casting is fairly inexpensive. Polymer is a great tool material. Ugly or not it works. I love steel and wood but getting good handguns for $300 is hard to turn down.

I wish the polymer guns WERE that inexpensive. I usually don't see them less than $500 OTD. Look at your Big 3 for example

Springfield: (XD, XDM, or XDS)
Glock (17, 19, 22, 23, 21 etc)
S&W (SD9/40 series and M&P series)

These can be had for no less than $450 it seems. $750.00 on the high side!

By investing a very minor amount of money more, you get to move up to a Beretta or CZ, or Sig even.

Now I will admit there exist several truly inexpensive polymer based guns out there, like a Sccy Pistol http://www.sccy.com/ and several of the Rugers seems to retail low, but mostly cant find them less than the $450 range.

I could see the price factor being a valid argument if the difference was greater.

Notice I did not mention any 1911s, they are almost a class of their own when factoring price. From the most humble RIA $450.00 gun to the most expensive Les Bear or Nighhawk. I will save that for a different thread.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I got my Glock 19 gen. 4 in a pawn shop for $400.00. Other than a little powder residue it looked brand new and came with all the original accessories.

modrifle3

Buckeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Well I took a GREAT condition Glock 32 in trade over the weekend. It's loaded with features incl. Night sites. I may keep this one...

I would, then pick up a .40 barrel and have a good little combo.

Mike J

Hunter
I've don't have any experience with a G 32 but the Glocks I liked the ones I've shot. The light weight & corrosion resistance is nice. Hope you enjoy your new Gun.

modrifle3

Buckeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Well, a buddy of mine made me an offer I could not refuse on it...

Sry. I tried. Well I got most of the $$ for my next 1911 now.

At least it's a step forward. I am saving now for that Springfield Target Loaded in stainless.

Mike J

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Well, a buddy of mine made me an offer I could not refuse on it...

Sry. I tried. Well I got most of the $$ for my next 1911 now.

Sounds like you are having fun wheeling & dealing. I'll be watching to see what you come up with next.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
Slow motion video of a Glock fired in a Ransom Rest. Saw it on another site and remembered this thread.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/13/slow-motion-glock-frame-flexing/

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
I said nothing pro or con about a Glock in the above post, just thought it was interesting and thought someone else might also.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
OK, I'll explain why I'm not a fan of Glocks and it has nothing to do with reliability, appearance or anything like that.
I jumped on the Glock bandwagon back in the 80's, bought a 23,20 and a 21. Put them in the safe and pretty much forgot about them.
Then a while back, I started noticing the values of used Glocks, and got a real sick feeling. While my 1911's and other guns bought along then had all appreciated nicely, the Glocks were now worth less than I paid all those years ago.
Why is this? That isn't what is supposed to happen with quality made firearms.
Still think the video is interesting and wonder if that flex was designed in or just something that is.

modrifle3

Buckeye
DixieBoy said:
gmartinnc said:
Slow motion video of a Glock fired in a Ransom Rest. Saw it on another site and remembered this thread.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/13/slow-motion-glock-frame-flexing/

... which means absolutely nothing.

I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised that here it is - 2014 - and guys are still talking about Glocks as if they are a fad. :lol:

Look, I love a beautiful 1911 as much as anyone. But, with Glock having made the name Glock synonomous with reliability it's hard to believe that some people are still pretending that this is not an established fact.

Guys, when Larry Vickers says that he prefers the Glock for his own use, and has actually taken to teasing the 1911 die-hards ... maybe it's time to take a serious and honest look at what's been going on since the 1980s? If you don't know who Larry Vickers is ... google his name. The man knows more about firearms, and fighting with them in combat, and what works, than most anyone alive.

Love your 1911 for what it is. A symbol ... or a beautiful piece of workmanship ... or whatever. But please don't pretend that they are some hallmark of reliability. That's just laughable. Talk to anyone who conducts combat pistol training, they'll tell you that the guys who have trouble with their pistols during a 3-day course, firing 1000 rounds, will almost always be the 1911 guys. Especially the guys who've had them "tuned."

For that matter, talk to guys who have been armorers in our military. The 1911, after firing under 50,000 rounds, is almost always needing refitting and other work.

On the other hand, there are Glocks out there which have gone 1,000,000 rounds without even a spring change.

If you hate polymer pistols because of aesthetics, fine. Just say so. But please don't pretend that polymer pistols haven't proven themselves capable of doing everything the beloved steel pistols have done ... with a whole lot less breaking down. - DixieBoy

You have to remember the search for the most accurate 1911 possible has made them unreliable. The WWII era 1911 was extremely reliable. In terms of functional simplicity the Glock beats everything, but the historical reliability of both are equal.

I have seen both fail but in modern combat I give the edge to Glock because of superior round count. Also for complete reliability the Glock should be used in model 17 form with Fmj as this is what the design was based on. Other calibers tend to be less reliable. The 1911 should be 5 inch with Fmj rounds. If the 1911 were not reliable the USMC would not be using it again.