Done with plastic guns?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
Most of the US today just views their cars and trucks as "tools". They are just used to get where they need to go. Very little pride in keeping them clean, preserving value, etc. That is how I view "polymer/plastic" guns. They are just "tools" that perform a function. Most perform their function well. I have a couple but presently do not plan on adding any more.

Another thread I figured I'd stay away from, as it is another class in rhetoric. But I've had many more years in the school of rhetoric, so I can no longer resist.

You fellers can own and shoot anything you want. I'm not gonna change any minds, and you're not gonna change mine.

I'm not absolutely against plastic. A Nylon 66 is very respectable. The plastic stock on an AR is exactly what belongs on it. The plastic stocks on most of my hunting rifles are the most perfect solution to hunting on the rainy side of the Cascades.

I have zero use for any Glock, but if dweeb cops can't break them, they are probably pretty decent. I think it's the Glock culture itself that I'm most resistant to, but also, the few Glocks I've tried did not fit my hand. The factory trigger on the latest one I shot was so stiff and rough it'd make Taurus proud!

The latest batches of plastic guns produced by the biggest gun makers to catch up with the popularity of Glock? Mostly, they missed the boat. I own them all, and mine all function perfectly, but one at a time most of them're going down the road.

aWoods said:
I'd take a glock 21 over a 1911 any day. Even with 13 round mags it's still way lighter. Even being way lighter, it still feels like hardly any more recoil than 9mm. Even being way cheaper than a 1911, it's still way more reliable. Even being made out of plastic, it's still more durable than a 1911. Even though plastic is supposedly crap, I've never seen it rust.

Glock 21 vs 1911, the glock is superior in almost every, single, motherloving way.

I'm leaning towards done with metal frame guns. I'm definitely done with steel frame guns, those are just stupidly heavy.

Fine for arm chair commandos I'm sure.

Blasphemy.

FergusonTO35 said:
I personally like laminate wood very much. It's far better looking and more functional...

Functional, yes. Better looking? Can't get on board with that.

WAYNO. :mrgreen:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I understand that walnut will always win the beauty pageant, but laminate wood looks way better than the cheap, press checkered wood of unknown origin or hollow black plastic most non-walnut rifles and shotguns come with.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Like them all, walnut for aesthetics both blue & SS, laminates & SS for reduced maintenance and bad weather, plastic & SS for couldn't care less what happens to it. The < 10 oz listed for the LCP is very intersting for size/weight, been looking at those. You can never be too rich, or own too many guns as a favorite uncle used to say!

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I understand the negativity toward synthetic guns, I had it for many many years.

But, it is where we have gone, like it not.

I like to think "What would John Browning" have done with synthetics. He would have to have gone that route too. So, maybe it would help if we pictured Browning building one, and what it would have looked like and how it would have functioned.

There are some really nice designs out there, but alas, because they are synthetic they lack some credibility to us "older guys" who remember when. My example of this is the Sig P2340, P2009 and P2022, which really never have gotten the nod from the "Old Sig Guys" and unfortunately, they are passed over and are really fantastic guns. I think they are what Old John Browning would have built.... and the P250 is so much better than people make it out to be. My P250 is a keeper.

In my mind, the S&W M&P and the Ruger SR's have taken the next step beyond the Glock, and they really deserve a chance. Great point-ability in these pistols. Really underrated, but that is JMO.

If I had to choose one semi, I would go with one of my 2340's, but have no issues carrying most of my all-metal semi's. Although a 4 inch .357 is really my go to handgun.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Excellent point : '"What would John Browning" have done with synthetics. He would have to have gone that route too.' JB was a genius.

welder

Buckeye
I'm happy that any gun owner likes guns, whatever the flavor. I have some plastic some of steel, aluminum and wood. They're all welcome in my safe, and there's room for more. Let me add one thing though and that is that the 1911 is the only one I find myself just holding and admiring repeatedly. I like them all, I love the JMB classic and always will.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
Plastic guns have made it possible for many more to afford guns...Lighter guns are better in many ways...Guns are tools but many want them to be works of art...Don`t get me wrong there`s nothing wrong with wanting what you want but guns sitting in safe rarely seeing the light of day seems to be a complete waste..

I have a number of steel guns like the S&W 41..Ruger 1911..Ruger Marks and some older S&W revolvers but I shoot all of them.....I also have plastic guns and to be frank these are far easier to get around and carry...Less expensive parts...fewer needs for gunsmiths...lots of custom possibilities...

Many of the all steel guns are getting too expensive for many and will be getting more expensive in the future..
Plastic guns are here to stay and the new innovations will be in these type of guns...Almost everyone I know likes lighter guns...and the cheaper prices...

ProfessorWes

Hunter
The only "plastic gun" I have is my MK III Ruger 22/45. So far, so good.

Can't say I have much use for a Glock, simply because they don't fit my hand at all. The older versions feel like a plastic 2X4, and the newer ones feel like a plastic 2X4 with finger grooves in the wrong place for my fingers. SR9 has a good feel to my hand, but the safety is way too small for my tastes; Beretta's PX4 also feels good, but I find myself playing "thumb wars" with the safety (to borrow a line from one of ColionNoir's gun reviews) to take it off safe and put it on.

The CZ75 P-07 Duty, on the other hand...juuuussst right. Nice slim grip that fits my hand perfectly, light weight, sights that come readily to the eye, 16+1 rounds of 9mm in a compact package, and an easily thumbed frame-mounted safety where God and John Moses Browning (peace be upon him) intended a safety to be. One of those will likely be my next handgun purchase.

welder

Buckeye
While I don't have a P07 yet, I found the it fit my hand pretty well. Tried one on many a time at my LGS. My son got a CZ P01 that was as good a shooter as we've seen and the quality was very good, so the CZ seems a very good choice.
I have a few Glocks, ccw a G19 daily and shoot it well though and probably will continue to practice with and carry it.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I have a mixture of all---plastic--steel(blued/stainless)---wood

If I like it--I like it-----really don't care what its made of as long as the quality is there

I don't see it as all or nothibg

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Busterswoodshop said:
....I don't believe there is a gun company out there that makes a gun out of plastic so it will be lighter.
They make them out of plastic for one reason only. Because it is cheaper to make.

If that's true, they don't make them "cheaper" just to be making them cheaper. They "make them cheaper" for the purpose of offering a more competitive product that is affordable to the average person so that they can stay in business & compete in the marketplace. Look at how expensive all metal handguns have gotten lately. $1000 for a 1911? Come on now, who can afford that when not too far back they were about 1/2 that? Of course, you can always buy the turkish or philippine knockoffs for a little less only because they use mostly unskilled slave labor.

revhigh

Hawkeye
aWoods said:
I'd take a glock 21 over a 1911 any day. Even with 13 round mags it's still way lighter. Even being way lighter, it still feels like hardly any more recoil than 9mm. Even being way cheaper than a 1911, it's still way more reliable. Even being made out of plastic, it's still more durable than a 1911. Even though plastic is supposedly crap, I've never seen it rust.

Glock 21 vs 1911, the glock is superior in almost every, single, motherloving way.

I'm leaning towards done with metal frame guns. I'm definitely done with steel frame guns, those are just stupidly heavy.

Fine for arm chair commandos I'm sure.

LOL ......

REV

Doesn't really matter WHY a gun is made out of polymer.

If it's dependable and you like the way it works and you can shoot it well and you intend to carry it a lot, the reduced weight is an advantage all unto itself. The fact that it may not be "pretty" is secondary.

I like steel and walnut, but I admit to buying a Glock 26 when they first came out. It is exactly what I wanted for several reasons, not one of which was appearance.

JMHO
:)

thomaskling

Bearcat
I also dislike plastic framed pistols and I also dislike striker fired pistols. Yes I am "old school" and proud of it. But the major manufacturers have found the public's desire for a lighter handgun can be satisfied with a cheaper plastic frame, that means more profit for the gun makers. That said, I must admit that my concealed carry pistol is a Ruger LC-9 with a glass filled nylon frame (total weight 1 pound) My favorite pistol is my 9mm Star Model BM made in Spain and imported by Interarms. This is 2.2 pounds of machined stainless steel with a polished finish. While a thing of beauty, it is too heavy for every day carry. The solution will come when a metal alloy is developed that is stronger and lighter than plastic. It will also have to be as inexpensive as plastic or the major gun makers will not use it.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
thomaskling said:
But the major manufacturers have found the public's desire for a lighter handgun can be satisfied with a cheaper plastic frame, that means more profit for the gun makers.
Or it means the gun sells for a much more reasonable cost that the public can afford. Not everyone can or will pay $1000 for a home defense or carry gun to get blued steel and walnut. I'm sure there is more profit in a $1200 gun than in a $500 gun.

thomaskling said:
The solution will come when a metal alloy is developed that is stronger and lighter than plastic. It will also have to be as inexpensive as plastic or the major gun makers will not use it.

Interesting thought. Would the point of this development be strictly so we can have a lightweight gun that ISN'T PLASTIC?

I suppose that's as realistic as my desire to own a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt that ISN'T STAINLESS STEEL. Yes, I could get one built by a custom 'smith, but that would certainly blow the "inexpensive" portion of the dream.

We are a finicky lot, aren't we?! Yes, me included.

:wink: :lol: :wink:

A lot of the plastic frame guns out there are DAMN expensive! Some of them are a little less $, and a few approach what most of us would consider reasonable or inexpensive, just a thought. For what I could get a Springfield XDM for, I could get a decent Sig or Beretta or CZ even, just as an example.

We all have to admit one TRUTH. If guns weren't as expensive. We would have more if them.