i finally broke my p90.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
yup, after 20 years and prolly 10,000+ rounds my trusty p90 broke............actually just the mag latch spring. :mrgreen: so now I am in search for one..........anyone got a line on one? I called ruger and they can't spare any to sell but I could send the gun in for repair and they would split the shipping (my cost $30). midway ain't gottem and they won't be getting any according to ruger.....and I didn't see any on brownell's. maybe i'll post a WTB in the classified............any help is sure appreciated so I can get my EDC back up and running, for now i'll have to settle with my walther PPQ M1 .40cal. :p

thx guys!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
chefrob1 said:
yup, after 20 years and prolly 10,000+ rounds my trusty p90 broke............actually just the mag latch spring. :mrgreen: so now I am in search for one..........anyone got a line on one? I called ruger and they can't spare any to sell but I could send the gun in for repair and they would split the shipping (my cost $30). midway ain't gottem and they won't be getting any according to ruger.....and I didn't see any on brownell's. maybe i'll post a WTB in the classified............any help is sure appreciated so I can get my EDC back up and running, for now i'll have to settle with my walther PPQ M1 .40cal. :p

thx guys!
Sounds like Ruger has figured out that they could sell the spring to one person who wanted to have a spare or keep it in their repair shop and provide service for thousands owners who may (remotely) experience this part failure. Wonderful that they are making shipping so cheap at $30, when I wanted to ship a pistol one way UPS it was over $100. Thirty dollars to keep my P90 running, what a bargain!! Great customer Service from Ruger Folks!!!!!!

modrifle3

Buckeye
I am so torn .... I have a spare. If you don't find one in a week or so PM me. This is a p90 weak link so giving up the spare is hard.

Call shop Ruger and try to order I will get the part number and post it.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
highspeedlane, not sure what they are selling but those pics are not the spring I need. the part # is KQ02700 and looks like this:
526090.jpg

thx though, I appreciate you looking!

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
modrifle3, I certainly do not want to take your (or anyone's) last spare but I appreciate the offer!

LaneP

Single-Sixer
chefrob1 said:
highspeedlane, not sure what they are selling but those pics are not the spring I need. the part # is KQ02700 and looks like this:
526090.jpg

thx though, I appreciate you looking!

Wow, that's way different all right. Something has to turn up eventually, if I see anything I'll post it up. Good luck.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Long before there was an internet and Numrich, enterprising folks learned how to make springs and such from scratch. The spring in the picture might take a little trial and error, but should present no problem to make from a piece of music wire of the correct diameter. Music wire is available from McMaster-Carr. Better stocked hobby stores may also carry it as well.

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Sorry for the late reply: No, the wire is already at spring temper. Use an undersized dowel to wrap the coils as the wire will spring back. You can adjust the diameter of the dowel with tape until you get the correct diameter of the coil section after it springs back.. Wrap some PVC tape around the pliers you use as nicks in the wire will create stress risers, and will fail at that point. Trial and error will get it done, and once it's correct, you can make a few spares. Sometimes old school wins.

Let us know how it works out.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
ruger ended up sending me the spring after a mix up on the phone.....didn't have to send in the gun.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
well, it wasn't a snap but I got it in and all is well. my p90 is back as my EDC and my Walther PPQ is back in the safe. I will say the PPQ is not too shabby as a back up, it is easy to carry and it almost doubles the ammo in an ergo package...........but it's good to have old faithful back! thx to all that helped with yer input!

Glad you got it fixed !!

I had the same broken spring last November, got it fixed with much help found here at The Forum.

for history purposes, here's a thread on topic:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99132

Cheers,

Carl