Ruger LC-9 Slide does not lock back!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
If I put in a empty mag in the slide will not lock back the first time usually second time,the gun functions fine and locks back on the last round during firing, is this a flaw in the lock back tab or spring ?

bwraven

Bearcat
It sounds to me like the magazine follower may have a little resistance. (It is the magazine follower that engages the slide lock mechanism.)

I would pull your magazine apart and clean the internals well. Also look for any flashing on the plastic follower.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
The slide lock is not being Pushed all the way Up and I'am pulling the rack all the way back usually catches on the second pull ,This only happens when the mag is empty the gun fires and Locks after last round has been fired ,The gun is not broke in yet only 150 rounds Any ideas before I send it in to Ruger would be appreciated Thanks![URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user...95/RollinAirbush/spring_zps6391212b.jpg[/img][/url]

bwraven

Bearcat
Are you using a nine-round LC-9 magazine? (It looks like a nine-rounder in the background of your photo.)

If so, that is likely the problem. I had similar issues with the factory nine-round mags.

Do you have a 7 round mag you can test it with?

Also, I noticed that the nine-round mags are made in USA. My guess is ProMag is making them for Ruger. I have had mixed results with ProMags in other firearms. My seven-round mags are all made in Italy (by Mec-Gar for Ruger) and have never given me an issue. I don't have any USA made seven-rounders to test and see if they also cause problems in the LC-9.

You might want to read through this thread if you are using nine-round mags:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=171435

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
bwraven, I have had the same problem with the 9 round mag, i took the spring out and stretched it out about an inch and it cured the problem, but most likely it will be a recurring problem. All my 7 round mags are made in Italy and have worked flawlessly, but all my LC380 mags are made in USA and they have never had a problem either.

bwraven

Bearcat
I have had the same problem with the 9 round mag, i took the spring out and stretched it out about an inch and it cured the problem, but most likely it will be a recurring problem.

I tried that on my nine-rounders that I returned. It helped on 3 of the mags, but as you mentioned, that will only be a temporary fix.

I also had what I consider to be a severe issue with the nines. While in my holster, the magazine would release. Draw, and the magazine dropped. I use the same holster and have no issues whatsoever with the sevens (including now with the +1 floorplates installed.)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Mine is the same way, not a problem. May get better with use. If it locks back on firing the last cartridge then you are good to go.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
If you disassemble your mags and taking only the follower, turn the mag upside down so the open base is facing you and drop the follower into the mag body, odds are it will stop around 1/4" short of the feed lips and require a bit of pressure (such as with a long punch) to fully bottom out at the feed lips.

I just remembered when my LC9 was new I had the same thing happen. Mine would not lock back on just an empty mag (manually cycled without firing) so I was thinking "what the heck?"

Ended up doing the above and discovering that the molded plastic followers Ruger used for the LC9 mags I had were a bit rough around the edges. There was just enough irregularity in the straightness of the magazine body that the mag followers were getting too tight toward the top of the mag.

I took medium sandpaper and being careful not to overdo it and cause additional problems, smoothed out the follower where it was binding inside the mag body until I could drop it into the mag body and it smoothly slid all the way to the feed lips by its weight alone.

From there it was smoothly locking on empty. I don't advise you change the geometry of your mag follower unless you are extremely confident in your abilities. It may well be something shooting a few mags worth would fix on its own but I think that an out of the box pistol shouldn't have an issue like that.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Highspeedlane said:
If you disassemble your mags and taking only the follower, turn the mag upside down so the open base is facing you and drop the follower into the mag body, odds are it will stop around 1/4" short of the feed lips and require a bit of pressure (such as with a long punch) to fully bottom out at the feed lips.

I just remembered when my LC9 was new I had the same thing happen. Mine would not lock back on just an empty mag (manually cycled without firing) so I was thinking "what the heck?"

Ended up doing the above and discovering that the molded plastic followers Ruger used for the LC9 mags I had were a bit rough around the edges. There was just enough irregularity in the straightness of the magazine body that the mag followers were getting too tight toward the top of the mag.

I took medium sandpaper and being careful not to overdo it and cause additional problems, smoothed out the follower where it was binding inside the mag body until I could drop it into the mag body and it smoothly slid all the way to the feed lips by its weight alone.

From there it was smoothly locking on empty. I don't advise you change the geometry of your mag follower unless you are extremely confident in your abilities. It may well be something shooting a few mags worth would fix on its own but I think that an out of the box pistol shouldn't have an issue like that.
Good information!!!

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Same issue with my Ruger 9 round mag.
Slide won't lock with the mag empty, but works fine when shooting.
The 7 round mags lock the slide either way.