Ruger SR9c issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CurlyQ

Bearcat
I have been a Ruger fan for some time. I'll never give up my MkIII or my 10-22. And my SR9 has been my favorite full size gun for some time. Recently while browsing the local gun store I came across an SR9c and decided it would make a great replacement for my normal carry gun and a companion to my SR9. So I bought it.

The first thing I did was take it down, and clean it thoroughly. While doing so, I became concerned about several things. It just didn't appear that it was made as well as my SR9. Several things looked sloppy, if not outright shoddy. For instance, when examining the frame, I noticed the left rear slide rail had plastic molded all the way around it. There was no visible metal. I cut away the plastic, and was concerned the rail had not been positioned correctly when the frame was molded. Indeed, after cutting away the plastic, the slide fit on that side was a bit sloppy. And that just one of a number of things I noticed about the gun. Now granted, I didn't expect perfection out of a budget gun, but still.

After reassembly, I took it to the range to see how it would shoot. First magazine, no problems. Functioned correctly and showed acceptable accuracy. But on the second magazine, it started locking open on every shot. When I got it home, a quick examination showed the slide lock spring had come loose. When I reseated the spring I noticed that the spring just barely engaged the tab on the slide stop. It was just barely holding. A couple of rapid slide cycles and it popped out again. I fully disassembled it and found that the slide lock spring was basically too short. I reshaped the spring to give it adequate engagement on the slide stop and prevent it from happening again.

Now I find myself wondering what else is out of whack with it. I'm sure as hell not going to carry the thing and bet my life on it. Which is the purpose I bought it for. Again, I fully understand this is a budget gun, but I expected better out of Ruger. This gun gives the impression it was made in a foreign chop shop.

kc5tty

Bearcat
My son gave my my SR9 in the fall of 2008 and I bought my SR9C in 2010 or 2011. In my case the C seemed to be made a little better than the SR9 and was much more accurate (shorter sighting radius...Go figure!). I have no complaints with either gun.

Don't know what to tell you but you may want to contact Ruger. I think I would.

Steve in OK

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Take a look at http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=196213 for a discussion on what is going on with your slide lock spring.

CurlyQ

Bearcat
Just a follow up. I contacted Ruger and they said a number of SR9c's were shipped with springs that were too short. They are sending me a replacement spring.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ruger and other gunmakers have been running full throttle since 2008. From what I can tell they all have had increased defects. One thing I love about the SR9 is that Ruger really got the grip shape and texture right. Out of curiosity I examined a new Glock 19 generation 4 yesterday. Seemed like a nice gun but I just couldn't get comfortable with the grip due to those big, lumpy finger grooves. The trigger pull on the Glock was really long and creepy too, although that will probably improve with time.