Current SR series black finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Hey guys. I think I'm going to buy a full size SR9 soon to go with my SR9c. I like the black finish on these but I remember the black/blue/whatever was on my old P95 would rust if you looked at it crosseyed. The Ruger catalog describes it as "black nitride". Those of you who have it, how is this fi ish holding up for you? Is this the same sort of tough finish that is applied to Glock, S&W, and other popular auto pistols nowadays? If so that's fine but if its the same thing as my P95 had I'll just get the stainless.

96/44

Blackhawk
The nitride finish is a chemical process, rather than a coating like melonite, tennifer, etc that you see on Glocks and the like. The SR slides are stainless regardless of whether they are black or bare stainless. They seem to hold up fine, and should not rust even if worn through, but the black finish is not as tough as the coating used by Glock IMO.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks, I didn't know that. I always thought it was strange how my P95 had about the worst metal finish of any of my guns although everything else abou it was solidly overbuilt.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have been carrying a BSR40c for over 2 years and the black nitride finish is as good as when it was new, the only sign of wear is a spot on the take down pin where the finish has wore off.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
96/44 said:
The SR slides are stainless regardless of whether they are black or bare stainless. .

Well, why does their website spec them as 'alloy steel', rather than 'stainless steel' as on the two-tones? Heck, all steels are an alloy, for that matter, LOL.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
96/44 said:
The SR slides are stainless regardless of whether they are black or bare stainless. They seem to hold up fine, and should not rust even if worn through, but the black finish is not as tough as the coating used by Glock IMO.
No. SR9 black slides are carbon steel, not stainless, but the nitride finish is very rugged and rust resistant.