sr40c light primer strikes?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jammer

Single-Sixer
So far this pistol is perfect. Until today with 7-9 failures. I did clean the striker and channel well between now and last time out. Added some rem oil at the range and put the last 25 through with 1 light strike. I did notice a slight difference in resistance in the striker after adding the rem oil.. Mixture of blaze brass and Winchester Fmj which all fired fine in the past... with almost 500 rounds and not a single failure of any kind, what do you think? Striker not lubed enough or bad ammo? Thanks in advance. Chris

jammer

Single-Sixer
Forgot to mention all of the duds did fire on the second strike. You could also see the light strike in the primer compared to normal fired rounds

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Before you do anything else I would advise getting the extra power striker spring from Galloway Precision. Alot of ammo these days has hard primers, I went through a bad rash of it a couple years ago. If that doesn't fix it then off to Ruger it goes. As an added bonus the Galloway spring makes the trigger pull more firm and less squishy.

jammer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies. I do understand. No lube in the striker channel.. I also read up more and yes Galloway is getting a call. This pistol has been flawless otherwise. I really have come to like it. I've yet to take it apart but will this afternoon to measure the spring. Just been carrying my sp101 in the mean time.. 1.5 is old factory length and 1.6 is new correct? I'm thinking its an older one. What serial number will I have on an older sr? Thanks again. Chris. Also, should I just do away with the mag disconnect? How can I tell if the striker is damaged from dry firing? I have unknowingly dry fired plenty if times without a mag inserted. :/