SR9c not disassembling

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cpaspr

Bearcat
New gun, first owner. First took it out last Sunday, but cleaned and lubed it first. Disassembly both before and after shooting went just fine.

This morning I went to disassemble it. Followed the disassembly instructions to the letter. After removing the takedown pin and releasing the slide lock, the slide will only move forward until about 3/4" of the slide is past the end of the frame. Something is hanging up inside, but I have no idea what.

Dry firing with the magazine in works fine. Sticking a pencil in till the eraser contacts the breech face launched the pencil.

Any suggestions or ideas?

DenverGT

Bearcat
Did you remember to push down the ejector? You need to lock the slide open, push down the ejector, then remove the takedown pin and remove the slide.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Funny, I've owned an SR45 and currently have an SR9 (4 years) and an SR9c for nearly a year. The SR9c is much more difficult to get the slide off. Don't know if it's the shorter, tighter recoil assembly of what, but it's a bear getting that slide to clear off the frame. I'll rerack it and try again....rerack it and try again....then it slides off. In the meantime it stops dead about an inch off the frame like there's a collision going on. Probably shouldn't matter, it's not supposed to, but it seems to slide off better if the trigger is pulled Glock-style. Maybe the trigger bar is catching. I wouldn't suggest pulling the trigger if the magazine disconnect is installed (or there's a round in the chamber), but it seems easier with the SR9c. It shouldn't, but it seems it slides off better. It's a bit concerning for me. Careful examination of the parts that might not clear show no shiny spots from contact. The SR9 slides right off with nothing interfering with the process as did the SR45. But, yeah, I, too, have difficulty clearing the slide off the frame of the SR9C. The only complaint I have about the SR-series is that weird (I was a S&W guy for years) ejector design that has to be pushed down for disassembly. Who thought that up? Anyway, it takes more physical force to get the slide off the 9C than my other 2 SR-series pistol, but it does come off after a fight and doesn't leave any scars behind on the gun.

cpaspr

Bearcat
Yes. See above. To the letter.

I just tried again. It got to the same condition, and I noticed that the guide rod was sticking slightly out the end of the slide when the slide was in the normal position. Maybe a 32nd of an inch. I pushed it back into position with my finger, and then the slide came right off.

I'll keep an eye on it, but if it happens to anyone else, try pushing back in on the guide rod.

And . . . I just took it apart and put it back together two more times. :D

Oh, Conn AK, I don't know who thought it up, but it's been around for years. My P90 disassembles the same way, same procedure.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
For awhile, I was pushing on the muzzle end of the slide with the heel of my palm when trying to push the slide back. That was the wrong thing to do and it would always hang up. Seems that puts unusual pressure on the slide rails. Don't know if that was contributing to your problem, but something that I was initially doing wrong :oops: .

Rei40c

Blackhawk
cpaspr said:
New gun, first owner. First took it out last Sunday, but cleaned and lubed it first. Disassembly both before and after shooting went just fine.

This morning I went to disassemble it. Followed the disassembly instructions to the letter. After removing the takedown pin and releasing the slide lock, the slide will only move forward until about 3/4" of the slide is past the end of the frame. Something is hanging up inside, but I have no idea what.

Dry firing with the magazine in works fine. Sticking a pencil in till the eraser contacts the breech face launched the pencil.

Any suggestions or ideas?

When I first got the gun I had the exact same thing happen. In my case the recoil spring slid out of the grove that it sits in against the barrel. It did this because I had, without thinking, oiled the end of the recoil spring and the notch it rides in.

The result is the movement of taking off the slide caused it to slip down and out of its seating making it VERY difficult to get apart. Finally after working with it for a few minutes it came loose and I was able to see the spring drop to the table as soon as the slide slid off.

I now make sure that particular area is bone dry, both on the spring and on that particular spot on the barrel, no problems since.

cpaspr

Bearcat
Rei40c -

That's good advice.

As mentioned above, after "fixing" it, I took it apart and reassembled it two more times. The first time the recoil assembly dropped on the desk, like you mentioned. Surprised me, because I know it's not supposed to do that. The second time it worked correctly, though I wasn't watching specifically for it.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
cpaspr said:
Yes. See above. To the letter.

I just tried again. It got to the same condition, and I noticed that the guide rod was sticking slightly out the end of the slide when the slide was in the normal position. Maybe a 32nd of an inch. I pushed it back into position with my finger, and then the slide came right off.

I'll keep an eye on it, but if it happens to anyone else, try pushing back in on the guide rod.

And . . . I just took it apart and put it back together two more times. :D

Oh, Conn AK, I don't know who thought it up, but it's been around for years. My P90 disassembles the same way, same procedure.
Just took the SR9c down. Pushed back on the guide rod and it slid off like butter. Ain't complaining, my SR9c has been flawless like the SR9, but the end of the recoil spring assembly protrudes slightly out of the frame anyway. Kind of odd, but obviously not a problem. Anyone notice that? Anyway, I'd assume the recoil spring assembly slid off its notch a bit and rearward pressure by my thumb pops it back in place making take down simple again.