Talon grips for LC9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sky*Island

Bearcat
Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum and I have an LC9. I'm considering buying Talon grips to replace the grips that came as original equipment. Which is the better choice; the 'granulate' or the 'rubber' grip? Since I also have the extended 9-round magazine, would the new grip work with it?

Thanks for any insight and/or tips.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I added a rubber slide over type grip to mine. Had the trim it up a bit, to avoid conflict with the magazine, but works well. sorry, can't remember the brand, but only paid a few bucks for it. The biggest concern I had r/e the rubber add-on was the ability to pull it from concealed w/o it getting hung-up by the rubber. Haven't had a problem. I also use the extention on the magazine to give my pinky something to do.
The rubber absorbs the re-coil much better, I can put 100 rounds through it without having a sore hand. ( bit of a problem w/o the added grip.)
Hope this helps.

Sky*Island

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip on the rubber grip. I will probably apply the Talon grip to this LC9. Without that the original grip has some sharp-ish edges. It's not all that comfortable when you grasp firmly. Hoping the Talon grip will take care of that issue.

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
Sky*Island said:
Thanks for the tip on the rubber grip. I will probably apply the Talon grip to this LC9. Without that the original grip has some sharp-ish edges. It's not all that comfortable when you grasp firmly. Hoping the Talon grip will take care of that issue.

In my opinion, the rubberized Talon Grips are an excellent addition for a carry pistol. I have put them on two Beretta Nanos, and an M&P Shield. They provide a noticeably improved grip without being tacky. The always seem to be well cut so they look like they belong on there as opposed to a later addition.

I just put the granulates on my SR9. They are literally like sand paper. It's a range gun for me, so I still love them. But I have heard numerous comments on other forums that the granulates can wear out clothing over time, increase the chance a shirt will want to "hang" on the grip instead of falling back in place, and be uncomfortable if they are in a position to rub against you at all.

So, I would say go with the rubberized.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I use tennis racket tape on mine. Works very well. Fills in the sharp grooves and gives you a good grip! And it's cheap....

zacman

Bearcat
I bought a Hogue rubber-like slip on grip for my LC9. I patiently tried to put it on but it tore. I called Hogue and they sent a replacement (free) with advice to use a hair dryer to heat it and to spray it with Windex before putting it on. I did finally get it on. It is better, a little nicer feel but not a huge noticeable improvement. I think it was about $9.
However, I added a Hogue grip (screw on replacement) for my SP101 .357 and it was a huge improvement -love it.