LCP: Is the slide supposed to lock in the open position?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After firing the last round in the magazine, is the slide supposed to lock in the open position as it does on many other Ruger semi automatics? I hadn't thought about it but noticed last week at the range that my LCP does not lock open, which means in a reload situation I would have to pull the slide back to re-arm the gun.

From the LCP owner's manual:

NOTE: when the last shot has been fired and the magazine is empty, the hold open does not automatically hold the slide open. If a loaded magazine is inserted in the pistol when the slide is closed and the slide is then retracted fully, the slide hold open will not automatically hold open the slide. The user can actuate the slide stop mechanism to hold the slide open at any time by retracting the slide and pushing the slide hold open up.

Your pistol is fine....

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
LCP is pretty close but improved copy of the Kel Tech P3AT which never had slide stop. Ruger added a MANUAL slide stop to aid in clearing the weapon and other uses as a convenient feature. It was never designed as a automatic slide stop.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm not a fan of mag actuated slide stops in such tiny pistols. Just seems like one more thing to go wrong to me. The slide stop quit working on my Kel-Tec P32 and I just let it be.

FergusonTO35 said:
I'm not a fan of mag actuated slide stops in such tiny pistols. Just seems like one more thing to go wrong to me. The slide stop quit working on my Kel-Tec P32 and I just let it be.
I love my p-32 specifically because of the hold open feature. It really bothers me that the 3AT/LCP don't have it!
gramps

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The small .380 Taurus has the slide lock feature.
I haven't heard about relative reliability.
Geoff
Who notes the large number of .380 LCPs in the land of Sunshine and Spandex.

groberts

Single-Sixer
The biggest problem I see with not locking open is unless you count your shots you could be caught facing a bad guy with an empty gun - unless the LCP has a big, red loaded chamber indicator. I don't like those odds. That's the one thing I really disliked about the 10 round magazine (aftermarket) for my Remington 750.