LC9 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
So I am curious. I have heard a lot of talk about how long/bad the LC9 trigger is. I looked at aftermarket options, but most seem to be sold out. Is this an issue worth pursuing? Is there a good and available aftermarket option or something else,thru my local smith? Or should I just shoot and shut up?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Tinman, Welcome to the Ruger Forum! I find that the LC9 is an exceptionally nice little defense pistol. It is completely reliable and well made. The long trigger pull is quite manageable and with practice this gun can be very accurate. For those accurate shots, staging the trigger is the answer and once someone has practiced with this gun, they will understand this. This is not my Range Officer 1911 with a superb single action trigger and that is OK because it doesn't weigh 39 oz. All the talk about the long/bad trigger seems to be from folks who want it to be a Glock or some other pistol with perhaps a target trigger. The LC9 is a revolver type trigger action which can be mastered to shoot quite well and provides an extra measure of safety for a deep concealment carry gun. I think it is an excellent concept!! I love my Sigs, 1911s, Glocks, and XD pistols but also really like this little LC9 which I don't find too hard to shoot. Here is a good article on it with short video clip: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/rugers-lc9-powered-up-pocket-protection/

Looking at your post, it seems that you already have an LC9 and should be congratulated on your good gun selection radar. I am not planning to modify my LC9 in any way. I considered having the slide professional coated for rust, but really in a Kydex holster I find no problem in managing the gun blue finish. The only thing for me is to take it out and shoot 50 rounds from time to time.

PS Don't shut up, just ask your questions and read and decide for yourself :p

jnichols2

Bearcat
MountainWalker said:
Tinman, Welcome to the Ruger Forum! I find that the LC9 is an exceptionally nice little defense pistol. It is completely reliable and well made. The long trigger pull is quite manageable and with practice this gun can be very accurate. For those accurate shots, staging the trigger is the answer and once someone has practiced with this gun, they will understand this. This is not my Range Officer 1911 with a superb single action trigger and that is OK because it doesn't weigh 39 oz. All the talk about the long/bad trigger seems to be from folks who want it to be a Glock or some other pistol with perhaps a target trigger. The LC9 is a revolver type trigger action which can be mastered to shoot quite well and provides an extra measure of safety for a deep concealment carry gun. I think it is an excellent concept!! I love my Sigs, 1911s, Glocks, and XD pistols but also really like this little LC9 which I don't find too hard to shoot. Here is a good article on it with short video clip: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/rugers-lc9-powered-up-pocket-protection/

Looking at your post, it seems that you already have an LC9 and should be congratulated on your good gun selection radar. I am not planning to modify my LC9 in any way. I considered having the slide professional coated for rust, but really in a Kydex holster I find no problem in managing the gun blue finish. The only thing for me is to take it out and shoot 50 rounds from time to time.

PS Don't shut up, just ask your questions and read and decide for yourself :p

Tinman, Where accuracy is important with this pistol, MountainWalker is absolutely correct. However; staging the LC9 trigger requires concentration and time. Perfectly appropriate on the shooting range.

I chose to learn to shoot faster, with "combat accuracy". Watch the guy in the review link. He uses a quick, smooth pull, with no staging. That's the other way to shoot this gun. Not as accurate, but much quicker in a combat situation.

The other part I highlighted is where he said "Don't shut up". Notice he didn't say "Don't just keep shooting". Do keep shooting. The more you shoot this gun, the better it gets.

The trigger is long, but it's not "bad". The long pull was deliberately designed into it. I took the advice not to change the trigger until it has 500 - 800 rounds. Now, I don't want to change the trigger.

A Cadillac driver will probably tell you that a Porsche has "bad" steering because it's "too quick". But the Porsche wasn't designed as a Boulevard Cruiser.

The LC9 is not a "range gun" or a "plinker". It's a highly concealable small combat pistol.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Mistake many make with their carry pistol is they shoot it a little then throw it in the car or wear it every once in a while. When they head to the range to take their range pistol because frankly the little LC9 is not as fun to shoot as My Range Officer, SR9, Browning HP, or M&P.

That being said I have several thousand rounds of ball ammo through my LC9. I make a point to shoot it at least once a week on one of the steel challenge rounds and usually do very well with it. It can be shot fast and has gotten smoother with shooting. Although I rarely shoot as well on the steel challenge with the LC9 as one of my range pistol I know exactly what I can do with it, and my level of familiarity with it is high should I ever have to utilize it heaven for bid. See the LC9 goes every where with me while those nice shooting range pistols get put up every week.

I had a little trouble with some light strikes in the 1st 100rds. I drove out the fire pin retaining pin cleaned out the left over milling and junk from the firing pin channel and have never had an issue since. About ever other month I shoot through the 147gr HP I carry in the magazines and reload fresh.

shooting 50 rds of full power defense loads through the LC9 is not my idea of a good time. I also shoot a qualification course with this pistol a minimum of twice a year. Not because I like to but I feel I owe it to myself since this is the pistol that is on or near me 99% of the time.

In the past I have carried a browning HP, and SR9 both are just to big for easy deep concealed carry with the business casual dress I am in most often.

shoot straight and shoot often.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Ok. Just need to shoot as often as possible. That sounds like a terrible way to spend my free time :)

jnichols2

Bearcat
Tinman931 said:
Ok. Just need to shoot as often as possible. That sounds like a terrible way to spend my free time :)

Hey, I'm willing to help out.

Send it to me, and I'll shoot it for you. :lol:

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all of the feedback. Great advice and putting a lot of rounds through it doesn't sound like punishment :)

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
jnichols2 said:
Tinman931 said:

Hey, I'm willing to help out.

Send it to me, and I'll shoot it for you. :lol:
Very generous. What a super friendly board :D

glovez

Bearcat
The way I see is, This is not a target pistol the trigger is just right for what it is. When the bad guy comes knocking and you pull that trigger you will not even notice how long it was. The main thing here is it just saved your ass.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
galloway trigger bar reduces the length of trigger pull by 35%. it works, i was doubtful that it would make a big difference after several hundred rounds of shooting with the stock trigger.... but it definatly helps. with my ser# range i was able to score the bar for $35. I think its $40 for the older models. I will say that even without that modification the lc9 isnt hard to shoot. the trigger on mine pulls between 5.5 and 6 lbs. look at some of the shorter stroke pistols like the s&w which boast a 7.25 lb pull like its a good thing..

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
bada61265 said:
galloway trigger bar reduces the length of trigger pull by 35%. it works, i was doubtful that it would make a big difference after several hundred rounds of shooting with the stock trigger.... but it definatly helps. with my ser# range i was able to score the bar for $35. I think its $40 for the older models. I will say that even without that modification the lc9 isnt hard to shoot. the trigger on mine pulls between 5.5 and 6 lbs. look at some of the shorter stroke pistols like the s&w which boast a 7.25 lb pull like its a good thing..
Looks like a great upgrade. If only you could find one in stock.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
One of the things I really like about the LC9 is that long double action pull provides a higher level of safety for a pocket carry pistol. The double action Police Service Revolver maintained an excellent safety record for over 100 years. We are far more at risk for a negligent or accidental discharge than actually having to use our pistol for self defense. Two weeks ago, I talked to a fellow who just retired from the local police force. He spent 25 years being called to go to bad situations with bad folks and only had one shooting in that time.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
So on that note I hate external safeties. If you have an LC9 please weigh in on your carry condition.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Tinman931 said:
So on that note I hate external safeties. If you have an LC9 please weigh in on your carry condition.
Personally, with the long double action pull I see no need for the thumb safety on the LC9. Never use the thumb safety. Sort of like a double action Police Service Revolver or Sig P Series pistol, no need for thumb safety. By contrast, I always use the thumb safety on a cocked and locked 1911 and I think it is a superb system. Those properly trained with 1911 learn to ride the thumb safety during the draw disengaging the safety as sights come up on target. I like my Glocks very much and think they are very safe when handled correctly and also like my XD45 pistol with the external grip safety. I really don't have a dislike of all external safeties, it depends on the gun design. The thumb safety on the LC9 seems like an unnecessary feature but is OK because it stays off unless someone intentionally activates it. Same for the Bersa Thunder 380 and CZ82......I just never use the safety because they both have double action revolver type trigger and external hammer which is plenty of safety.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I don't see a problem? If you don't like external safety's, don't buy an LC9! Buy a Kahr, or something else! Problem solved....

groberts

Single-Sixer
When I carried the LC380 I kept a round in the chamber and the safety on. I wanted to change the trigger pull (not the force of pull, just the length) but, like the OP, could not find it in stock. Now my wife has it and keeps it in a GunVault (biometric) with the chamber empty and the safety off. If she needs it she just swipes her finger across the reader and the tray drops open. And the sound of racking the gun echos through the house to warn an intruder to GTHO. But I still think she should get the reduced trigger pull.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Good point Tony! I did look at the Kahr and found the trigger shorter and much lighter. Some will say, oh goodie, but not me. I want the long trigger pull of the LC9 which is more like a J-frame revolver. I will learn to become proficient with the longer pull. As for the thumb safety, it could have some very good uses. If I wanted to carry in a vest coat pocket, without holster, it might be handy. Some folks may wish to train with it and just want a super safe gun with an extra margin of safety. In the industrial world, safety programs often employee a "safety lock out" on certain machines to sure they will not be accidentally turned on during maintenance. Such devices lock the electrical plug to make certain there will not be a machine starting up and injuring someone. Successful companies and those who insure them insist on it. Likewise the magazine disconnect is not a burden and might be helpful for those who want to lock the gun in the car while in the store, keeping pistol and magazine separate will slow a thief down who would then might have to go to a gun store to buy a magazine for it. Chief advantage is that consumers who come home from shooting to the clean the gun, withdraw the magazine making the gun inert. That's not a bad thing in my estimation.

Now are these features necessary? Not at all. I feel like my Sig P239, 229 are safe as anything out there because I am the real and primary safety. Do I mind the safeties on the LC9, not at all. I will always manually follow safety rules and don't find the safety features a hindrance.

zacman

Bearcat
I am new to handguns. I recently bought the LC9 and have qualified with it for my ccw. I have read in many posts the different opinions on thumb/external safeties - some like them and some really don't. But the question that pops into my head when I read these discussions is this: If someone does not like the thumb -external safety, why couldn't they just not use it, i.e., just never engage the safety feature - wouldn't that be like not having one? Or am I missing something?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
zacman said:
I am new to handguns. I recently bought the LC9 and have qualified with it for my ccw. I have read in many posts the different opinions on thumb/external safeties - some like them and some really don't. But the question that pops into my head when I read these discussions is this: If someone does not like the thumb -external safety, why couldn't they just not use it, i.e., just never engage the safety feature - wouldn't that be like not having one? Or am I missing something?
You are absolutely correct Zacman! The LC9 thumb safety is low profile and very positive so it won't just flip on. There is no need to ever use it.