LC9 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tremors

Bearcat
I believe if you just shoot your LC9 it will become second nature, you will not even think about the long trigger. Good luck trying the trigger system from Galloway it seems every time I try to get something they never have anything in stock.

zacman

Bearcat
Tremors said:
I believe if you just shoot your LC9 it will become second nature, you will not even think about the long trigger.

I think you are right - even though I have only shot about 150 rounds with the LC9 it seems that the long trigger pull is not the issue it first was. For me the long trigger pull was more of an issue on the first shot - as I was anticipating the moment it would fire and thus was more aware of it- the wait-wait-wait -bang. When I fire several shots rapidly I don't notice it. And when I fire that first shot with a faster but smooth pull without anticipation of the moment it will fire, then the long trigger pull does not bother me then either. And I am getting fairly tight circles out as far as 15 yards even with somewhat rapid firing.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
zacman said:
Tremors said:
I believe if you just shoot your LC9 it will become second nature, you will not even think about the long trigger.

I think you are right - even though I have only shot about 150 rounds with the LC9 it seems that the long trigger pull is not the issue it first was. For me the long trigger pull was more of an issue on the first shot - as I was anticipating the moment it would fire and thus was more aware of it- the wait-wait-wait -bang. When I fire several shots rapidly I don't notice it. And when I fire that first shot with a faster but smooth pull without anticipation of the moment it will fire, then the long trigger pull does not bother me then either. And I am getting fairly tight circles out as far as 15 yards even with somewhat rapid firing.
For a "NewBee" you sure are showing some advanced traits. Like you, I see our task as learning to become proficient with what we have instead of trying to change it to a preconceived notion of what a trigger should be. This is a concealment weapon and it is perfectly OK and perhaps desirable to have a long pull. Besides the LC9 has already developed a stellar reliability record. I for one don't want start sticking after market parts in this highly successful gun.

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
IF Your prior EDC was a Revolver the trigger pull on the LC-9 will not even be noticed ,in fact you will be very accurate with it,I went from a Colt 38 Detective Special that I carried for years to a Ruger LC-9 without a hitch.There will never be a semi-auto-matic as good as a Colt 38 Special,50 years of FBI Agents and LEO's cannot be wrong!

bwraven

Bearcat

I agree. It's all about training. And I don't just mean range time. I train a few times a week at home using snap caps. It's important to build muscle memory for your draw and sight picture. I have trained myself to draw and as I'm bringing the pistol up to get my sight picture I disengage the safety with my left thumb.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
bwraven said:

I agree. It's all about training. And I don't just mean range time. I train a few times a week at home using snap caps. It's important to build muscle memory for your draw and sight picture. I have trained myself to draw and as I'm bringing the pistol up to get my sight picture I disengage the safety with my left thumb.
That's a good thought. I have never used snap caps but that is a great way to practice.

Tinman931

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Not all boards are quite so friendly. Everyone seems very nice here. Plus I enjoy the good thoughtful feedback.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Tinman931 said:
MountainWalker said:
Pretty good thread Tinman! :)
Yeah. Great way to jump in 8)

I would recommend the new Galloway trigger kit because the overall pull is cut 50% (bar 35% and trigger 15%) and weight reduced by 1.5lbs. I can only wait to install mine and give a full review. This kit should prevent the trigger from having to be pulled almost fully against the frame before the trigger breaks. For larger handed folks, this will aid in accuracy and follow up shots. It is $99 worth spending.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
I would recommend the new Galloway trigger kit because the overall pull is cut 50% (bar 35% and trigger 15%) and weight reduced by 1.5lbs. I can only wait to install mine and give a full review. This kit should prevent the trigger from having to be pulled almost fully against the frame before the trigger breaks. For larger handed folks, this will aid in accuracy and follow up shots. It is $99 worth spending.
Good luck with your conversion, I hope it works for you. If you find the pull lighter and shorter, you can always use the thumb safety.

modrifle3

Buckeye
The thumb safety is something I really like. I am a 1911 guy so it is second nature.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Ruger recently did the similar "improvement" on the LCP .380 pistol. The double action pull is shortened and pull weight reduced. In handling in the gun store, this did not appear to be an improvement of the trigger as there is considerable travel after the trigger breaks. I would have to try it at the range to see how well it works shooting which is the best test of course.