Just bought my first RUGER! Quick questions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rc1988

Bearcat
Hey all, I finally decided to purchase my very first ruger today. I have been in the market for a high-capacity 9mm. I own a few glocks and xd's, but never a ruger...After enough research i decided on the P-95, only to find out they have been discontinued...Luckily, i call my LGS and he has two left in stock. Sticker price was $389.

I just have a few questions for you folks. When the gun is cocked and the safey is off, i noticed that when i engage the saftey the whole slide moves forward slightly....Is that normal?

Secondly, i field stripped the weapon a few times to become accustomed to the procedure. Did everything like the instructions said, but i did notice that as soon as i remove the slide from the frame my ejector that i just pushed down, suddenly pops back up again...?

Lastly, while getting use to the controls, i was working the slide and the saftey, etc (unloaded firearm) I notice the one time after i had locked the slide back, i pressed the slide release ( with my hand guiding the slide, not letting it slam) and as soon as it returned to battery the hammer dropped? Maybe i was over-looking a saftey feature?

I look forward to shooting her this weekend and I will let you guys know how it goes!- RC

frank n texas

Single-Sixer
With what all you are experiencing I think I would drop by LGS and have his smith check over all your observations before you hit the range with it..

Better safe than sorry and worth the peace of mind....

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
RC: You have made an excellent choice, these are great guns! I no longer have a p95 and only kept a P90 Decocker Only model. What you ask about sounds perfectly normal. There were several different models, was yours the manual safety model? The ejector should be pushed back down till it seats/stops for reassembly. Your pistol has a decocker built into the safety, so when the slide goes forward it will drop the hammer if the safety is on safe. Check your owner's manual for proper operation for each item. You have chosen well!