Ridiculous slide springs , caused a cut in my Hand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Airbrush Artist

Bearcat
I quit carrying My Ruger SR40C in My EDC Rotation as of last night, the reason is the ridiculous slide springs that IMO are just to strong 18-22 lbs.to operate.I "m 6'1- 180 lbs. I have played guitar since I was 12 years old so I have strong fingers and a strong grip and know the issue is not lack physical strength to function the slide ,The problem is in the gripping of the slide.I Love this firearm but last night It cut my hand pretty good due to slippage on the slide.Its going BYE BYE...I have around 450 rounds through it..That was with a overhand grip.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
One of the reasons I sold the SR9 I had to have some years ago. The wisdom at the time was to carefully file off the sharp edges of the serrations. I thought Ruger should have done it, not me.

Psst....instead of the copy, why not buy the original?

G27

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I see this as the primary flaw in the SR9c and SR40c. Those awful springs reduce recoil effect, but one has to wonder if it is worth it. One possible fix is to get some 400 or finer wet/dry 3m paper and very, very lightly break the sharp edges. You only want to break the sharp edge not change the contour. Still want enough edge to grip the slide. Should only take a few strokes and check with 10X loop just to make sure of what you are doing. End result would not be visable to naked eye. Practice on the front ones first. Good luck if you decide to try.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
SR9 drew blood from me on the first day. That isn't enough to make me give up on one of the best 9mm pistols I've ever owned. Funny, the SR9c is smooth as glass around the serrations. The SR full-size series-the only guns that racks you back.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Adequate design should account for hurting the shootee, not the shooter. A gun that easily injures the operator is not adequate.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Pretty easy and quick to fix the teeth as outlined above. Still the springs are awful stout and may not be suitable for some customers who older or women who don't have the strength in hands. Very reliable and soft shooting on the plus side.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Just for fun I broke the edges of the slide serrations using some "wet or dry" very fine(320) 3M paper. It took less than 10 minutes and really allows a better grip with the sharp edges ever so slightly rounded but still providing very good grip. With better grip, the heavy spring is more manageable.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I guess that if we were talking about a Phillipine-made or a German-made pistol that came with sharp edges and over-strength springs, people near and far would be protesting that is is a POS and shouldn't be considered here, that any gun should be finished before it is sold, etc. Well, this is a Ruger and it should be a finished design.
Correction: This is a Ruger of later manufacture and should be AT LEAST as well-finished as Rugers of past days.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I think the Ruger SR9c and SR40c pistols I have are pretty well finished and very serviceable. Sure, my Sig 229 is better finished but the cost is twice that of the Ruger. I love the thumb safety on a striker fired weapon and Ruger really did this one right. Sure the slide serrations are too sharp, but I am willing to tone them down and overlook that minor flaw which is gone now for me. These are very nice lightweight, compact guns that really work well.

jnichols2

Bearcat
My SR40 drew blood early on. I had to tame her. That makes her mine.

Now I shoot 150 rounds with no problems.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
jnichols2 said:
My SR40 drew blood early on. I had to tame her. That makes her mine.
I was thinking the exact same thing with a few light scratches I introduced. Now it has been "used" and if it sells for slightly less in the future that is OK with me! :)

Taterman

Buckeye
MountainWalker said:
Just for fun I broke the edges of the slide serrations using some "wet or dry" very fine(320) 3M paper. It took less than 10 minutes and really allows a better grip with the sharp edges ever so slightly rounded but still providing very good grip. With better grip, the heavy spring is more manageable.

My wife uses our SR9 by herself and no issues yet, but we both agree the edges are pretty sharp. Sanding the slide a bit is something I want to do.
Did you use the paper dry, or wet it with something?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Taterman said:
MountainWalker said:

My wife uses our SR9 by herself and no issues yet, but we both agree the edges are pretty sharp. Sanding the slide a bit is something I want to do.
Did you use the paper dry, or wet it with something?
I used it dry. The advantage of using wet is when you are removing lots of material such as auto body work, you can rinse the paper clean(relatively) and continue sanding the area. I did put a few micro scratches on the very front of the slide and polished a little bit between some of the slide serrations but it is hardly noticeable. These are working guns and a little handling wear is hardly a problem for me.

Latest posts