SR9 concerns...??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rc1988

Bearcat
Hello all, I have been very intrigued by Ruger's "SR" line of pistols over the past few years; however, I have some concerns. Does anybody know if Ruger has officially fixed the peening issue that was occuring on the barrels and sometimes the frame as well!? I have been wanting to "pull the trigger" on purchasing one of these, but ive just been hesistant to do so. Thanks! --RC

Al James

Hunter
Welcome to RF.com! My latest generation SR guns have been flawless in every way [except for a bad SR45 follower/mag]. I feel the SR series has much to offer, especially considering the $400+/- price point. If you are looking at purchasing the latest version, look for one that does NOT have the lightening cut along the bottom of the muzzle end of the slide. They will also have the little scallops on the corners of the slide at the muzzle end similar to the SR40/45. I have observed no peening to speak of on any of the latest SR guns. Good luck if you decide to pick one up!

rc1988

Bearcat
Thanks Al James, im going to have to keep my eye out. Hopefully i can see the differences in the newer model. Thanks!

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
own an SR9, 40, 45, 9c and just picked up a 40c. have given three SR9s as gifts-seven of eight have been fine. ,accurate, reliable and zero negative issues. number eight has yet to get an opportunity to impress. as soon as the weather breaks and I get a little time off work I will rectify that situation. I do not expect a problem.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
I've found the SR9 and SR9c to be flawless and among the best handguns I've ever owned. The SR45 was problematic (sold it after bouncing back and forth from Ruger repairs) but a great shooting pistol. My SR45 problem was mag seating, that is, not staying locked in and then the magazine release broke. My SR45 was purchased as soon as it hit the market so I'm not sure about subsequent production. The magazines seemed to be the problem-I had 4 mags and none of them seemed to seat properly. Great pistol with teething problems.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Al James said:
..... look for one that does NOT have the lightening cut along the bottom of the muzzle end of the slide. They will also have the little scallops on the corners of the slide at the muzzle end similar to the SR40/45.

Al, what's the reason for seeking that one?

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Tax refund season is already started and all the guns will be bought up soon. SRs will be among the first to go. Time to panic and buy! At least a minor anxiety twinge is in order..:)

Al James

Hunter
VictorLouis said:
Al James said:
..... look for one that does NOT have the lightening cut along the bottom of the muzzle end of the slide. They will also have the little scallops on the corners of the slide at the muzzle end similar to the SR40/45.

Al, what's the reason for seeking that one?

OP was asking about peening issues and just offered that info as a way to tell the newest "version". The SR guns have went through quite the evolution and if someone was considering a used model they could unknowingly buy an early gun which would not have all of the refinements offered on the newest SR guns. Mag realease, trigger, takedown pin, slide design, have all been changed since the original model debuted in 2007. Hope this helps!

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I recall that the Security Six and Police Service Six went through significant improvements over the years of production. The later versions were much more desirable from a functional standpoint.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
OK, Sir...got it. I eyeballed quite a few at the show yesterday, all of which had the latest slide as you point out.