LCP perfect size for concealed carry, but is it effective?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought my LCP years ago and have become fairly comfortable with it at the range (although without the CT laser I'm not sure I can hit my target accurately at more than about 3 yards). With concealed carry almost here in Illinois I was planning on using the LCP as my carry gun during the summer months (with my sr40c for when I am wearing heavier clothing). After reading so many threads about the minimum power of the 380 cartridge from a short barreled gun like the LCP I wonder if it can get the job done, i.e., end the threat with less than perfect shot placement. The larger 38 Special +p round in my j-frame looks a lot more convincing, but the j-frame is a lot bulkier to carry concealed. Maybe I just need to find a way to carry my sr40c regardless of how little or light clothing I may be wearing (my generous gut is what gets in my way for IWB holsters!).

pyth0n

Buckeye
I hesitated a bit before posting because the recently reported, to me unfortunate & unnecessary, shooting. In the case of the retired cop shooting in the movie theater reported to have used a .380. Granted, not the best example, but example none the less, of the round's effectiveness.
"An altercation ensued between the shooter and the victim before the shooter pulled out a .380 hand gun and shot and killed the victim."
http://www.examiner.com/article/shooting-at-a-florida-movie-theater-injures-at-least-two

Governor of TX shot a coyote with one shot from his LCP.

As to ending the threat with a less than perfect shot, a shot with a .22 in the toe might be enough to stop. Who likes having hole punched anywhere in their body, regardless of the diameter? :)
To many variables to consider what will and will not be more effective. My $.02 the less powerful the round the more precise the shot placement. Most important is shot placement.
You've been getting many answers about the .380 with regards the ammo selection etc. No definitive answer to remove your doubts about your .380. Get something bigger, .38 spl, 9mm, or grenade launcher, what ever you have more confidence in. :)
There are a good number of sub compact 9mm pistols in the market. I generally carry a Kahr P9 or P40 in a pocket holster, OWB holster, IWB. It can be carried any way I like. Ruger has the LC9, Remington R51, etc. Light weight Revolvers in .38spl like the LCR. I'm sure you'll find something you'll be comfortable with.

The .380 with modern ammo is every bit as effective as a .38 spcl from a snub. Practice til you are comfortable with it. If you carry something larger, but it gets left in the car or home it is worthless. I dispatched a 200. lb hawg I hit with the car with my LCP. Would I have preferred my SP-101? Yep,but you learn to dance with what you have. The LCP magazine has more rounds than a snub, reloading is faster! OTOH most shootings are at 3 feet, and are over in 3 shots, in 3 seconds according to the FBI stats. Good luck.
gramps

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
The .380 with modern ammo is every bit as effective as a .38 spcl from a snub. Practice til you are comfortable with it. If you carry something larger, but it gets left in the car or home it is worthless. I dispatched a 200. lb hawg I hit with the car with my LCP. Would I have preferred my SP-101? Yep, but you learn to dance with what you have. The LCP magazine has more rounds than a snub, reloading is faster! OTOH most shootings are at 3 feet, and are over in 3 shots, in 3 seconds according to the FBI stats. Good luck.
gramps

+ 1
Check out the .380 Hornady Critical Defense it makes a .380 a little Piss-ant, it's the only thing I'll carry in my Bersa.
Some folks ask me why I carry and I tell'em because I can't throw rocks at 1,000 feet per second, otherwise I'd carry a pocket full of rocks.

\\\\\ Heck ... even if someone pointed a .22 pistol at me my attitude would change in the blink of an eye /////

Ethang

Blackhawk
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24796777/homeowner-shoots-and-kills-armed-robbery-suspect

380 was used....very well I might add.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Ethang said:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24796777/homeowner-shoots-and-kills-armed-robbery-suspect

Where in that story does it say it was a .380?

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
A 380 round will certainly protect you and do a great deal of harm to any mammal who might mean you harm. Of course it wouldn't be my first choice for self-defense, but it sure as heck would do the job at close range. When it's impossible to carry my SR9 or SR9c, the LCP is the obvious choice. For years my best carry option on hot days was a J-frame or a Charter Arms 44 Pug. Heavy and 5 rounds vs. light, easy to conceal, and 7 rounds in the LCP made it an easy decision. The Kel-Tec P3AT started a revolution that has made 380 ammo in scarce supply.

baddarryl

Bearcat
Certainly the .380 is considered adequate albeit at the low end of the spectrum. I traded my Keltec P3at for a Kahr CM9. The caliber upgrade was a consideration, but more so because I just hated the Keltec. My CM9 conceals almost as easily. I know this is not about the guns, but I will say with as small as some of the pocket 9's are I won't even consider the .380. Of course I am also trying to keep things to just a couple of calibers as well.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
baddarryl said:
Certainly the .380 is considered adequate albeit at the low end of the spectrum. I traded my Keltec P3at for a Kahr CM9. The caliber upgrade was a consideration, but more so because I just hated the Keltec. My CM9 conceals almost as easily. I know this is not about the guns, but I will say with as small as some of the pocket 9's are I won't even consider the .380. Of course I am also trying to keep things to just a couple of calibers as well.
The CM9 is a nicely-made gun and smooth as silk. Nearly purchased one but could never find a sale on Kahr. A little beefier than the LCP, the CM9 really can be carried in your pocket comfortably, and it is good for IWB carry. It's the damn price tag though.

Ethang

Blackhawk
pyth0n said:
Ethang said:

Where in that story does it say it was a .380?

It doesn't....there is much that was not in the article.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I recently bought a Beretta 84F .380, that was imported from Israel by CAI. It was said to be an Israeli police issue, confirmed by Beretta. No more info as to when or how long they were in service. I suppose they were turn ins for weapons upgrade. European agencies used the .380 & .32 for long periods. James bond used a .32. :)
I mentioned it one of your other posts that, FWIW in 2011 ,the LAPD authorized their officers to carry as backup and of duty the LCP & S&W Bodyguard .380, with the Critical Defense ammo. I guess that would be a fair endorsement. Just some more to chew on. :)

Billsburg

Bearcat
I can accept that my LC9 will effective, what I don't understand is the handful of replies from posters that said "they bought and LC9 but have never tried it".

Help a noob out here...why did you buy it? I couldn't imagine spending a few hundred dollars on a new gun and not be eager to try it. Honest question. Do you buy guns like some people buy bottles of wine...sort of a collector that may eventually get around to trying it, or maybe giving it away as a gift.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
Billsburg said:
I can accept that my LC9 will effective, what I don't understand is the handful of replies from posters that said "they bought and LC9 but have never tried it".

Help a noob out here...why did you buy it? I couldn't imagine spending a few hundred dollars on a new gun and not be eager to try it. Honest question. Do you buy guns like some people buy bottles of wine...sort of a collector that may eventually get around to trying it, or maybe giving it away as a gift.

I'm with ya on the gun idea, buy it, shoot it !!!!
I have a collection of about 15 "Pocket Knives" and probably give away 3 or 4 a year. Then I buy a couple more.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
If you reload and cast bullets, Lee just came out with a very nice 95 grain wide flat point mold. I think that is the most effective bullet for this cartridge.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
If you reload and cast bullets, Lee just came out with a very nice 95 grain wide flat point mold. I think that is the most effective bullet for this cartridge.

I have been involved with many different debates regarding the .380 for self-defense and since Hornady came out with their Critical Defense ammo and watching tests for this round I will confidently carry my .380 24/7/365.

This video says it all ......

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18 <<<