Sig Sauer 220RM45BSS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Harvey

Bearcat
I recently saw a Sig 45, with night sights, which I was told was Mass Compliant. It seemed like a nice gun, and the reviews that I read were good. I think that it is made completely in the USA in New Hampshire. I much prefer purchasing guns, ammo, etc. made in the USA. I also like the decocker on a semi auto. Does anyone have any experience, or comments on these. If so, would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks

pharmer

Single-Sixer
I've got a 226 and a 228. Excellent, reliable ergonomic guns. Spendy, but quality always is. The frame is alloy that is so hard both of my guns show zero wear after thousands of rounds. Buy with confidence. Joe

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I've had two P220s. My first was 35 yrs ago. It was a Browning badged 9mm (Browning Double Action). More recently is a 45 ACP version. Good guns. I was thinking about getting a replacement P220 in 45 ACP. Now, I am torn between that and a P227.

I think the thing that makes it MA approved is shipping with a reduced capacity mag.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
The classic Sigs have established a very impressive record with military and law enforcement through out the world, the machine work is extraordinary and the overall quality is obvious. The finish used on these guns tend to show wear rather quickly (which is cosmetic) and I like the looks of a well used gun anyway and the triggers are exceptional.
I am pretty much H&K orientated but if I were to switch platforms I would move to Sig.

Harvey

Bearcat
Thanks everybody for your comments. Everything looks quite positive as far as the Sig is concerned. If I can find one that is USA made, I will probably go that route.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
The Sig 220's are great pistols.
You may also be interested in looking at the new Sig 227, their new 45 ACP that holds 10 + 1 rounds, but still has a grip similar to a 226 or 220.

There is a good Sig forum with many knowledgeable members at http://sigforum.com/eve/forums.

modrifle3

Buckeye
No experience with a US 220 but I have a good bit with a german made one and it was very nice.

I haven't owned a Sig P220, but I HAVE shot several examples. Very accurate gun... Moreso than my P226 elite enhanced .40.

I sold that for enough to fund a Sig in 9mm or .45 acp. I'm torn between the same Sig in 9mm. the P220, or P227.

They build a good product. I wish Ruger still made a metal semi-auto. The P90 was a great gun!

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi Harvey,

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wanting a .45 ACP with visible hammer and decocking lever. I don't like carrying my 1911 in Condition 1. You may have noticed the most recent "American Rifleman" features the SIG P227; double stack 10 round magazine. After reading that article I read more on the internet and noticed the 220 and later iterations. Looks really good to me but, yikes, they are kinda spendy. Don't need a rail and other attachments; just 3-dot sights and eight in the can. Maybe I can trade off a couple of my "I ain't usin' 'ems" and come home with SIG 200 series .45 ACP shooter.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf said:
I think the thing that makes it MA approved is shipping with a reduced capacity mag.

Mass has a ridiculous set of "test standards" that include destruction testing, minimum trigger pull weights and utterly worthless "safety" features and they make the manufacturer pay some sort of multi-thousand dollar application fee to have their pistol tested and "certified". If they change any feature of an "approved" handgun, it has to go through that testing all over again.

Most makers don't even bother with lefty nanny states like MA now. Of course the entire scheme is ostensibly floated to make guns "safe" (lol) when in reality we know it's just to make manufacturers sell fewer or preferably no guns at all, in the state.

Exactly. If it doesn't meet every little thing on thier list. You can't have it. If any changes are made. They have to resubmit.

Ive been doing alot of research on the P227. So far, I really like everything I have been reading about it.

I just could not resist.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200921

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I have shot the Sig 220, and it is a great pistol. I also shot the HK USP .45 on the same range trip, to see which one I liked better. I ended up with the HK. Both fine pistols and in the same price bracket, but I seemed to shoot the HK better. I got the variant 1 HK, which has similar controls to the sig 220 (decocker, safety, etc.). The mag release button on the HK is in an unusual location though, and I am trying to get used to it (bottom of trigger guard).

Rabon

Single-Sixer
planetcat said:
I have shot the Sig 220, and it is a great pistol. I also shot the HK USP .45 on the same range trip, to see which one I liked better. I ended up with the HK. Both fine pistols and in the same price bracket, but I seemed to shoot the HK better. I got the variant 1 HK, which has similar controls to the sig 220 (decocker, safety, etc.). The mag release button on the HK is in an unusual location though, and I am trying to get used to it (bottom of trigger guard).
After you get used to the H&K mag release you will wonder why HK and Walther got it right and the others didn't. :lol:

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Rabon said:
planetcat said:
After you get used to the H&K mag release you will wonder why HK and Walther got it right and the others didn't. :lol:

I am "warming up" to it. :D It's just difficult when switching pistols. My SR9c is my nighstand gun, which is consistent with all of myother pistols except the HK, so I don't think I'll get the controls mixed up.

1coolcat

Bearcat
I own a Sig 220r carry. It has never jammed on me, I reload 45acp and shoot 185gr. HP w/ win LP primers, and use alliant bullseye powder. It is a wonderful gun and carry it often for personal protection. The only complaint I have is the large grip. I have the slim fit grips on it although its still some what large for my hand and it effects my shooting g accuracy. I'm just use to the 1911 size grip.. I had a kimber carry in one hand and the sig in the other. The Sig was lighter so I purchased it...very nice gun. The night sights are bright and fast to pick up the trigger isn't to bad. The decocker is nice and it is fast to clean.
Anothere downfall, ...the price..it wasn't a cheap gun

rappa29

Bearcat
I'm not familiar with that specific model but I used to own an older P220 (circa 1994). The trigger was smooooth. It was accurate as the day is long and the ergos were perfect for my big hands!

I'm a SiG fan and yes they're expensive. I've only ever bought 1 SiG NIB (P229 in .40S&W) for $750. All my other ones I bought used and paid < $600 for any of them (P220, P228, P239, P225).

Latest posts