SR9 failed pencil test?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I just bought a new SR9...test fire date in Dec 2013. I haven't fired it yet, and it will be a while before I can (getting ready to have surgery.) I took out the magazine disconnect, and then tried the pencil test (inserted a wood pencil, eraser end first, into the barrel...pulled the trigger...pencil didn't even move.) I locked the slide open, and inserted the pencil, and I can see that it isn't reaching the breech face. It was stopped by the sear disconnect lever. So, I got it up and over the lever, and it contacted the breech face. The LCI rose slightly, but not as far as it would go with a round in the chamber. I closed the slide, trying to keep the pencil in contact with the breech, and pulled the trigger...no movement. I did notice that when I closed the slide, the LCI went back down, so it's possible I wasn't keeping the pencil in contact with the breech face.

I've had other pistols that would strongly eject the pencil...at least a couple of feet from the barrel, but they were hammer fired (1911s.) I don't know why, but I never tried the pencil test in any of the other striker fired pistols I've owned. Without trying live fire, I don't know if I am going to have a light strike problem or not; as I said, it will be a while before I'll be able to do any live fire. I've read (from a search on the internet) that people have posted this same thing on other forums, although most have already fired their pistol and didn't have any light strikes. The advice most of them got was "It if fires ammo and not pencils, don't worry about it." :lol:

Anyone here have any comments on this? I guess I'll just worry until I can actually take it to the range and see if it fires ammo. I just hope I don't need to use a pencil for self-defense in the mean time. :shock:

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
All my SR9 and 40 pistols make the pencil jump about 3 inches, and they have all had the MDS removed, and none of them have ever had light strike issues.

GKC

Blackhawk
cjs1945 said:
All my SR9 and 40 pistols make the pencil jump about 3 inches, and they have all had the MDS removed, and none of them have ever had light strike issues.

Well, shoot (no pun intended) that doesn't give me much comfort...but thanks for the response.

I wedged the LCI in its fully upward position, and when I pulled the trigger I could see the pencil jump just a tiny bit. It certainly wasn't three inches, though.

I haven't cleaned the gun yet...I'm going to scrub it out thoroughly, inside the striker channel, and make sure there is no debris, and that the striker is clean, etc. If that still doesn't result in a stronger impact on the pencil, then as soon as possible I'll go to the range. If I have light strikes for real, then I'll be calling Ruger.

Cubby

Single-Sixer
I know that it's not the same gun, but my SIG will not budge a pencil. It has never failed to go bang in the six years that I've had it!

GKC

Blackhawk
Cubby said:
I know that it's not the same gun, but my SIG will not budge a pencil. It has never failed to go bang in the six years that I've had it!

Wow, that's strange...you'd think a hammer fired gun for sure would make it jump. I've owned a few SIGs, but never tried a pencil in them. (I don't have any now.)

Ah well...this will give me something to worry about instead of the surgery. I wish hospitals would put in a gun range as part of their therapy programs. Probably unlikely...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I use a BIC "round stic" pen for the "pencil test" in all of my 9 mm's. Slip it into the barrel point first so the hard brass tip meets the firing pin. All of my pistols, (1911, P-89, SR9, etc.) will send it several feet. I wonder if the soft eraser is absorbing too much of the impact to move very far.

GKC

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
I use a BIC "round stic" pen for the "pencil test" in all of my 9 mm's. Slip it into the barrel point first so the hard brass tip meets the firing pin. All of my pistols, (1911, P-89, SR9, etc.) will send it several feet. I wonder if the soft eraser is absorbing too much of the impact to move very far.

Hmmm...I don't know.

I tried it with a ball point pen refill...the only pall point pen I had wouldn't fit in the barrel (the body of the pen was too big around) so I took out the refill, and was able to put the point in the firing pin hole. Holding the gun upright and pulling the trigger, the refill hit the ceiling with some force!

Now, I know that may not be a completely valid test, since a primer doesn't sit inside the striker hole, but it does give me some encouragement. The only true test will be firing it, of course.

Until I can go to the range, though, at least I know I can load the gun with ball point pen refills and defend myself. :lol:

GKC

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Was there an fired cartridge in the case with the gun? Stop looking for problems that don't exist!

Yes, there was a test fired shell case in the box...but, there have been other guns who have experienced malfunctions when brand new, right out of the box. I grant you I probably shouldn't worry until I go to the range...but, it's precisely because I can't go to the range for a while that it's bugging me.

gramps said:
I have never heard of such a test.
gramps

Lots of new stuff happening in the last 100 years... :lol:

GKC

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Texas is a big state, surely you can find a place to run through a mag in 30 seconds so you can stop worrying.
gramps

Yep, there are lots of places...but I'm not physically able right now to handle the shooting.

Obviously I can whine... :lol:

Sorry about that Ken. I spent 6 months working at Scott and White Hospital in Temple, Tx. , and 6 months at Val Verde Regional Hospital in Del Rio, Tx. I had a blast. Got to shoot at Fort Hood, and Del Rio had a great range also! Good luck with surgery. I might be grumpy if I was looking at surgery too :). Hang in there!
gramps

GKC

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Sorry about that Ken. I spent 6 months working at Scott and White Hospital in Temple, Tx. , and 6 months at Val Verde Regional Hospital in Del Rio, Tx. I had a blast. Got to shoot at Fort Hood, and Del Rio had a great range also! Good luck with surgery. I might be grumpy if I was looking at surgery too :). Hang in there!
gramps

Thank you!

I know I am probably worried about nothing...and if there is a problem Ruger will make it right. 8)

Yawn

Blackhawk
exactly... if there is a problem, Ruger will make it right! Do keep in mind that a striker fired hand gun is very different then a hammer fired handgun!

roylt

Hunter
Here is what might be a silly suggestion. Could a person take the barrel out of the gun, reinstall the upper and then dry fire it with his finger over the breach? Would that work or tell you anything usable?

More of a curiosity at this point.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
My SR9c (purchased Feb 2010) launches an unsharpened pencil.

I tried this in several of my pistols. Strongest to weakest:

Colt Gov't Series 80
IMI Jericho 941
Walther PK380
SR9c
Sig P238
AMT Backup 380

Never had a light strike issue with any of these pistols.

I think it is more useful to compare depth of primer indentations than shooting pencils.

roylt: You'd need to clamp the slide to the frame to get the right geometry, spring compression, and keep to the slide from moving. I can do that by hand, but I wouldn't trust that I am feeling the full force without clamping. And, I wouldn't know what adequate force feels like.

GKC

Blackhawk
Shooter III said:
Pencil test, sounds like a lot of worry and over thinking for a new firearm ... why not just go shoot the darn thing ?

Well, as I've posted in this thread, I'm not physically able right now. I'm waiting on back and knee surgery, and I can't comfortably stand...I'm not sure if I could really control the gun that well in my current state, and using pain meds. I'd rather not endanger myself or others in real life when I can safely annoy people here from my keyboard. :lol:

On the other hand, I did try turning the pencil around today...I'd been inserting it eraser end first, and this time I tried it with the wood/lead end first (unsharpened.) It almost jumped out of the barrel! So, now I guess I can stop worrying about it until I can actually go to the range.

Now what will I worry about? I hope I'm not in one of those accidents in the hospital you read about where they give you the wrong operation. I'd hate to wake up with a sex change... :shock: