SR22 Pistol ammunition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Treefrog23

Bearcat
I have decided (because of physical limitations) to go from my LC9 to my SR22 for carry. The problem I'm having, the only ammunition my SR22 likes is CCI. After having sent it back for fail to fire/fail to eject, a tech said that the CCI is what they recommend. Does anyone else have this problem? It's a little scary to carry if the CCI failed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
TF
Knoxville, TN

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ANYTHING CAN FAIL as it was made by man. NO ammunition is perfect and that includes CCI which is considered among the best. And then there is the FACT that many 22 rimfire pistols are as picky as a million dollar hooker as to their diet. It is up to you to do the testing with your pistol.
MINE has 4930 rounds through as we speak.
And so it goes...

dwd

Single-Sixer
I don't have an SR22 but my Walther p22 and my sig mosquito both like Aguila hyper velocity and I would expect the SR22 to as well. But, good luck finding any.

6gun

Hunter
Yup my SR22 will only shoot the Federal bulk ammo in the red color box nothing else or it jambs and fails to fire.

drfarth

Bearcat
Every review I've read online and seen on youtube about this gun has concluded that the gun will eat anything. Maybe if you're having issues with CCI Mini-mag, I would suggest sending the gun back to Ruger to fix again. It sounds like something is wrong here.

I don't own one, but the amount of reviews I've seen that said the gun will eat anything is really overwhelming. Either there's a massive conspiracy to hype this pistol, or you got a lemon.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bought one for my wife for Xmas, and it runs Aquila HV, Eley Sport, Federal bulk, CCI MiniMag 36 gr & Win SuperX without a hiccup. Some solids, some HP. She likes it a lot. So does my wife. :)

Nerd_Ferguson

Bearcat
I agree with those suggesting you have a real problem. Haven't found a 22 ammo my SR22 has an issue with yet. I even went through a mag of subsonics before I realized they were not what I thought they were.

I had one range session with failure to extract issues which I think had to do with something obstructing the extractor because after cleaning it, it ate the same ammo without complaint.

Moseska

Bearcat
My SR22 likes everything except Winchester M22. I carried mine only when my LC9 was in the shop a few times but had CCI Stingers loaded and felt safe. A fun little pistol

clbshooter

Single-Sixer
Mine will eat all of the bulk stuff, but I haven't tried Remington yet. FYI you can get a different follower for the mag and up the cap. by 2-3 rounds.

The SR22 I got shoots Blazer bulk, Federal bulk HP, and/or old stock Remington HV equally well. I think Daughter is using Blazer bulk in her brand new SR22 until she gets it broken in.

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
*** Nothing Personal ***

When I decided to add a .22 pistol to my collection I read many reviews on .22's and I decided to stay away from the SR22 because forum boards are full of people stating their problems with them, Hence I choose a Ruger MK III 22/45 and with a few mods I do not have any problems with the bolt, or failures to feed and eject, of course once in a while I have a failure to fire, but thats the nature of .22 ammo