Glock 19 vs. S&W M&P9C.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VikingDude

Bearcat
Don't know if this is the right place to post this so feel free to move this to a more appropriate section if that is the case.

So I want a gun that is a little bit more comfortable to carry when I am at work, my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow that I got now is really too heavy to carry during an 8 hour day. I am undecided if I should go for the Glock 19 or the M&P9C. I have used Glock a bunch of times when I was in the military and in the civilian life so I feel comfortable with them and I know them really good so I know what I am getting, but coming to the M&P line I know almost nothing.

I have tried the M&P9 and 40 a few times and I don't like the trigger out of the box on the M&P compared to Glock, I have read somewhere that S&W are putting new and better triggers on the new guns but I have not tried it. When we are still on triggers I really love the reset on the Glock, it's loud and you can almost feel it through the entire body, the reset on the M&P is almost nonexistent. But I can guarantee that the gun I buy will get a trigger job. BTW, have anyone here tried an M&P with an APEX Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK)? https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid35.html

For me it's a hard choice, I really like the look and feel of the M&P but I am really uncertain about it since it's, for me, an unknown gun with a trigger that I don't really like, and since I live in a country that have restrictions and laws for everything it's a little hassle in getting the permission to buy a gun in the first place and if I ever sell it and want a Glock instead I have to go through the paperwork again.

I didn't see what "work" is, but I think you already know what you are comfortable with and that's worth a whole lot. I'm more of an M&P guy I've got 2 45 ACP's and a 9c. I'm comfortable with their feel, trigger set, and the sights some up just right for me. Sure no harm in staying with what you are comfortable with as confidence goes a long way, when things go wrong. If you decide to go to the M&P you know there needs to be a transition time as you have a lot of muscle memory training to over come. If you don't have that time I'd certainly stay with the Glock. Good luck.

GKC

Blackhawk
Where do you live?

You might get more replies on a S&W forum, or a Glock forum, but there are members here too who have experience with both (I do.)

The M&P models (full size and compact) bracket the Glock 19...the M&P 9 full size has a 4.25" barrel, and the M&P 9 compact has a 3.5" barrel, while the G19 has a 4" barrel. The Glock 26 is more comparable to the M&P9c. I don't have the stats in front of me, as to differences in weight, but I'd assume they are somewhat comparable. The primary differences I've noted are the trigger and grip. The M&P triggers are more gritty and less smooth than those in the Glock, but as noted, the M&P triggers are being improved, and there are kits (Apex, for example) that make them even better (personally, I don't mess with the fire control group...the triggers do smooth out considerably with dry and live fire over time.) The grip is where I see the most difference: the Glock grip is not comfortable to me, while the M&P grip feels very good. I have small hands and the small insert on the back strap of the M&P fits me just right. I have had a Glock Gen4 (a model 23, though) and while it was better, it still wasn't as good as the M&P.

S&W's customer service is better than Glock, IMO, but that is based on my experience here in the US. I'm not sure how that would work if you live in another country, whereas Glock service might be more readily available.

The later model Gen3 Glocks and current Gen4 Glocks had been plagued with BTF (brass to face) issues, but since I don't have any Glocks any more, I don't know if that is still the case. M&Ps are generally very reliable. Both pistols are comparably priced, at least around here. There are a lot more aftermarket parts for Glocks than M&Ps, but there are more available now for M&Ps than had been in the past.

I don't know if these are available where you live, but if possible, you should also look at the Ruger SR9/SR9c models. They are very good pistols, and run around $100 - $150 cheaper than either Glock or S&W. They compare (in size) to the G19/G26, and the Ruger pistols have very good triggers IMO. Ruger has excellent customer service...but again, I don't know how that works in another country, or how available parts (magazines, recoil springs, etc) would be outside of America.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
The Glock 19 is, reference above, a mid-size not a compact like the SWaMPy 9c. For CCW the SWaMPy Shield, despite the Hollyweird advertising tie in, is flatter and has a much lighter trigger. So light, IMO it needs the manual safety, being comparable to a current Colt M1911 in pull weight.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Geoff
Who has a Kahr 9094 in that slot.

VikingDude

Bearcat
GKC said:
Where do you live?

You might get more replies on a S&W forum, or a Glock forum, but there are members here too who have experience with both (I do.)

The M&P models (full size and compact) bracket the Glock 19...the M&P 9 full size has a 4.25" barrel, and the M&P 9 compact has a 3.5" barrel, while the G19 has a 4" barrel. The Glock 26 is more comparable to the M&P9c. I don't have the stats in front of me, as to differences in weight, but I'd assume they are somewhat comparable. The primary differences I've noted are the trigger and grip. The M&P triggers are more gritty and less smooth than those in the Glock, but as noted, the M&P triggers are being improved, and there are kits (Apex, for example) that make them even better (personally, I don't mess with the fire control group...the triggers do smooth out considerably with dry and live fire over time.) The grip is where I see the most difference: the Glock grip is not comfortable to me, while the M&P grip feels very good. I have small hands and the small insert on the back strap of the M&P fits me just right. I have had a Glock Gen4 (a model 23, though) and while it was better, it still wasn't as good as the M&P.

S&W's customer service is better than Glock, IMO, but that is based on my experience here in the US. I'm not sure how that would work if you live in another country, whereas Glock service might be more readily available.

The later model Gen3 Glocks and current Gen4 Glocks had been plagued with BTF (brass to face) issues, but since I don't have any Glocks any more, I don't know if that is still the case. M&Ps are generally very reliable. Both pistols are comparably priced, at least around here. There are a lot more aftermarket parts for Glocks than M&Ps, but there are more available now for M&Ps than had been in the past.

I don't know if these are available where you live, but if possible, you should also look at the Ruger SR9/SR9c models. They are very good pistols, and run around $100 - $150 cheaper than either Glock or S&W. They compare (in size) to the G19/G26, and the Ruger pistols have very good triggers IMO. Ruger has excellent customer service...but again, I don't know how that works in another country, or how available parts (magazines, recoil springs, etc) would be outside of America.

Thought about posting this question in an S&W and Glock forum, but then again I feel that posting this question on "neutral ground" was probably better.

I live in Norway and work at a gun range, one of the really few places I can carry a gun legally, and I don't have to carry concealed.

The grip on the M&P is way better than the Glock, I have fairly big hands and it feels great with the largest inserts, but out of the box the Glock trigger is better, and regarding the weight the M&P9C is lighter than G19.
I fondled both the Glock 19 and a full size M&P9 today and the more I think about it I am leaning more and more for the M&P. But it's still the uncertainty about the trigger and what it will feel like after installing a trigger kit.

The biggest issue for me is that the company that imports S&W in Norway is probably one of the worst dealers ever in the Norwegian gun marked and getting an S&W gun takes forever, I know people that have ordered S&W revolver last summer and they still have not gotten what they ordered. So on the part of customer service in Norway and the availability of guns Glock is way better. If I ordered an M&P today I would probably have to wait 4-6 months or even longer to get it, the G19 I can go and buy tomorrow if it came to that.

To be honest the SR9c does nothing for me and I don't like the thumb safety and magazine disconnect so that is pretty much out of the race even if the Ruger dealer here have the best customer service in Norway.

Geoff Timm said:
The Glock 19 is, reference above, a mid-size not a compact like the SWaMPy 9c. For CCW the SWaMPy Shield, despite the Hollyweird advertising tie in, is flatter and has a much lighter trigger. So light, IMO it needs the manual safety, being comparable to a current Colt M1911 in pull weight.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Geoff
Who has a Kahr 9094 in that slot.

The M&P Shield and is a no go for me, they are far too small for my liking and I can only get a gun that is no bigger than a G19, and that is stretching the limit size wise, we have some pretty stupid laws in Norway :/

GKC

Blackhawk
VikingDude said:
To be honest the SR9c does nothing for me and I don't like the thumb safety and magazine disconnect so that is pretty much out of the race even if the Ruger dealer here have the best customer service in Norway.

I don't know if you can do anything about the safety (doubt it) but the mag disconnect is very easy to remove. However, if the gun doesn't appeal to you, then that alone won't make any difference. I'm like that too...a gun has to appeal to me, as well as work well.

Given what you've posted, it looks like a Glock is your better choice. I don't know if this would work in your country, but could you buy a Glock now, order the M&P, and when it (finally) came in, sell the Glock?

Man, I am glad I live in America, and Texas... 8)

VikingDude

Bearcat
If the G19 had the grip of the M&P I would be all over it.

Yes I could get the G19 and then sell it but that would be a pain in the a¤# and a costly process for me. You see, in Norway if you want a firearm we have to send in an application for every weapon we want and the application fee is at 75$, so if I go that way I will pay 150$ just in fees to the government :/ I would much rather carry my trusty CZ a couple of months longer than give them more of my hard earned money than necessary.

I think that I will go for the M&P since it's cheaper than the Glock and after I have used money on a trigger kit it would cost the same as new Glock.

I sure am envious of you Americans and the freedom that you got with the second amendment, but what really amaze me are your strict laws regarding silencers. In Norway everyone can buy a silencer, a 10 year old kid can go and buy a silencer for a 308 rifle with no questions asked.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I would go the opposite direction myself, given that you say buying a gun and getting a new S&W over there is a pain. With Glock you only have to put up with the former.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Sounds like the Glock is the logical choice for a number of reasons you've stated but you're talking yourself into the S&W...what was the question again?

I had a M&P9c, sold it for a G19 and never looked back. I didn't like the fussy takedown procedure of the S&W or the articulated trigger blade.

And welcome to RF and thanks for the vote of confidence in our opinions.

GKC

Blackhawk
VikingDude said:
I sure am envious of you Americans and the freedom that you got with the second amendment, but what really amaze me are your strict laws regarding silencers. In Norway everyone can buy a silencer, a 10 year old kid can go and buy a silencer for a 308 rifle with no questions asked.

The two things you will never find in American laws are logic and consistency. Yet, even so, I am so thankful that we don't have to deal with the restrictions you describe...well, at least not in most of the USA. Some states are getting about as ridiculous.

VikingDude

Bearcat
I just basically wanted your opinion on what you guys believe where the better gun and if anybody had any experience with the M&P9c and APEKS trigger kit.

I appreciated your input and advice but after shooting one of my friends G19 and trying an M&P40 the day after and reading up on the APEKS trigger kit I am going for the M&P. The G19 does not feel good in my hand and for me the recoil feels harder than the M&P, so I am going on a limb here and trying the unknown.

FergusonTO35 said:
Just remembered, one thing I don't like about the M&P is that the trigger mechanism seems to get more fouling in it than other guns.

Don't think that will be a problem, I can only wear the gun at work and I clean my weapons on a regular basis so it will not see that much carry time.

FergusonTO35 said:
I would go the opposite direction myself, given that you say buying a gun and getting a new S&W over there is a pain. With Glock you only have to put up with the former.

I have had the same thought but I also want a gun that I enjoy to shoot, I don't like shooting the G19, feels just uncomfortable.

GKC said:
VikingDude said:

The two things you will never find in American laws are logic and consistency. Yet, even so, I am so thankful that we don't have to deal with the restrictions you describe...well, at least not in most of the USA. Some states are getting about as ridiculous.

Think that goes for any laws in any country.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Viking, I owned both the Glock 19 and Smith & Wesson M&P9c and they are identical in size if you put them on a table and look at them. I was really taken with the M&P grip which felt so good in my hand, so I bought it. When I took the Glock and the M&P to the range I found that that wonderful feeling grip of the M&P did not result in better shooting than the Glock. For me the Glock 19/23 grip is fine as is the larger 17 grip frame.

The stock trigger of the M&P is inferior to the Glock trigger. Additionally, the Glock trigger can be very easily modified by putting in a different connector and it is easy to polish contact points with Filtz for a great 5.5 - 6 pound trigger. I sold my M&P and kept the Glock and have not a single regret.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
I know these are not the same guns you are looking at, but this is a very fair comparison. I had a Glock 21SF for a few years. Very reliable and accurate little pistol right out of the box. I held a fullsize M&P .45 a few months ago. I LOVED the feel of it in my hand. I bought the M&P and sold the Glock 21SF to my father. Dumbest thing I ever did. Like mentioned by the above poster, the better feel of the M&P did not result in better shooting by me. I also had some hiccups the first 150-250 rounds I put through it.

The takedown on the M&P pistols is not very user friendly, the recoil springs on all of the ones I have shot are 1-2 lbs. lighter then they should be, and parts are very common, but not as common as Glock's.

Now I will tell you that I still like the M&P and am not planning on getting rid of it. They are nice little pistols, but I have become a huge Glock guy over the past few years. I currently own a G20, G29SF, & G27. I have owned the G22, G23, & G36 models as well. I just don't think that the M&P's compare to the gun they tried to copy in the end. They are made in the USA, which was the main reason I wanted to give one a shot. That is obviously a plus, but Glock pistols are made here too, just a bit harder to find.

Also, I purchased a S&W SD9VE for my wife a while back. I picked it up for $300 OTD and while it doesn't have all the features of the M&P line, I upgraded to a steel guide rod and some night sights for her, still have just under $400 into it, and I have actually had more reliable range results from start-to-finish then my M&P I have.

Jon